Photos (High Res Images Warning) Weird Symbols on 1940s Solingen Germany Knife

My grandpa had this knife, he fled Latvia at a young age during WWII, they went through Germany to escape Russia. I assume my great grandpa got it then. It could technically just be a knife he got at a garage sale though. Either way, I found these really weird symbols on it. Anyone know what they mean? The green is highlighting the etchings.
52281157799_54c9e14b98_b.jpg
52280900908_d11be2af89_c.jpg
52279908152_31d5128868_c.jpg
52281375905_37aa66c038_c.jpg
52281160249_bcb1077de6_c.jpg

I'm sure that knife has some stories to tell.

I would suggest the scratching was simply the owner's attempt to put his name or something of significance, on the blade. It (almost) certainly wasn't put on by the maker.

The fist with three arrows is the rollmark for Voos Cutlery in Germany.
Thank you very much. That's what I feared. I agree, I have spent a lot of time thinking about potential stories it could tell.

Since it says Soligen Germany on it I would suggest it was made for export to the United States. Probably purchased here not there.

Why does Solingen Germany mean it was for USA export?

I think I have seen it on several German knives that were sold in Europe.
Why does Solingen Germany mean it was for USA export?

I think I have seen it on several German knives that were sold in Europe.
Well I suppose it could be for export to England or Canada or other English speaking locales as well. Typically you would put the language of your target market on the knife.

view

The left one is my first fixed blade. I got it without the handle in the 70’s . I used it as a throwing knife for years. The tang would stick as often as the blade did. One very tough knife. I retired it from throwing and added a handle in the mid 80’s.

My father said it came from his uncle in the 50’s. Not an heirloom piece, just a junk knife from a box.

The right one is an original condition one from ebay. The guards on these knives were very flimsy. I don’t mind the bend, but I’d be afraid to straighten it. The steel is excellent

Last edited:
Here are pics of one similar to yours that was listed on an online auction.
Hope they help in some way...

View attachment 1898427View attachment 1898428View attachment 1898429View attachment 1898430View attachment 1898431View attachment 1898432View attachment 1898433View attachment 1898434

Maybe "Sheriff Knife" is what's inscribed onto your knife's blade as well.

The guard?... Likely is a replacement that was done at some point.
That's definitely it! Thanks a ton! The guard doesn't seem to fit, but on the other hand it is more rusted and not less rusted than the blade which would suggest more age not less.

So if you are confident it was made after '53, then my great grandparents were in America when they got it. Thanks
Knife was imported by PIC / Precise International Co of Suffern, NY. Started 1953/54, and closed early - mid 2000's. They were early importers of Aitor, Gamo, and was a huge distributor for Wenger Swiss Army till they were bought out by Victorinox. Knife might've been made by Linder for them.

Back