Hiking Boot advice needed

jstn

Gold Member
I thought I would ask some of the more experienced members on here for some advice before making my purchase. I've gotten into hiking the last few years, and being a runner, I've worn my old trail running shoes. Now I think it is time for some proper foot attire.

I mostly just day hike, sometimes camping overnight. I live in Southern Illinois, so I would like the boots to be usable for a variety of weather conditions and terrain. I would also like them to be waterproof, durable, and fairly comfortable, without breaking the bank.

I tried on this pair today and loved how they felt, however I am not sure about the quality:

http://www.6pm.com/columbia-grants-pass-waterproof

Thanks for any and all input!

My vote goes to Salomon, as always. Expensive but worth every goddamn penny.

There's a few other threads on this very subject if you do some searching you can see all the suggestions and pictures from the conversation a few months ago.

I have the Salomon ultra mid gtx hiking boots. They have goretex and the whole nine. I fucking love mine and even at $160 I will most definitely buy another pair when these ones are shot, although that may be years from now. The mids are classified as hiking and rightfully so but they're great for wearing out on the weekends where ever. I'd wear mine every damn day but I need steel toe boots for work so I wear those weekly, other wise I have the salomons on. They have a tougher selection classified as "back packing" that are a bit beefier then the hiking ones which are boots that I wouldn't wear every day, those would be hiking only.

Check their site out.

http://www.salomon.com/us/

anything keene has my blessing. I have gone through about 6 pairs of them in the last 8 years and wear them everyday. they are fantastic if you have wide feet. and they are waterproof. check out the Targahee IIs

Thanks to both of you. I will be looking around tomorrow to try on both recommendations.

So many great boot companies out there, do your research on line, but test drive them in a store!

Sierra Trading Post always has some good deals and a lot of hands on reviews!

My Lowa Renegade GTX has lasted longer than any other brand I've had, including Salomon, Vasque, OBoz, and Merrell.

anything keene has my blessing. I have gone through about 6 pairs of them in the last 8 years and wear them everyday. they are fantastic if you have wide feet. and they are waterproof. check out the Targahee IIs

KEEN has some good boots not made in Vietnam (like Salomon, Vasque, Merrell, Columbia, Oboz, etc.)

Last edited:
I've hiked in a wide variety of environments, including Southern Illinois. Deserts, mountains, woods, rain forests... Dayhiking, camping, working, and week-long trips with a heavy pack.

The best do-everything boot, in my experience, are the Danner Mountain Lights. Durable and rugged enough without being as heavy as a mountaineering boot or work boot.
Lightweight boots can be good for some things, but I don't trust them to provide protection from hazards like sharp rocks and mesquite thorns. Nor do I trust that they'll hold up over time - too many stitch lines and manufactured from too many separate pieces of materials.

That being said, I'm not an expert in lightweight boots; just too many different brands and models to keep track of. They vary incredibly from cheap crap to pretty good stuff.

My kid uses the Vasque Breeze, which is also available in adult sizes for only $170-ish. Unlike cheap lightweight hikers, these have excellent traction and supportive/protective soles (Vibram soles). He's on his second pair (he outgrew the first) and so far they've held up nicely. He does have to take extra care to avoid cactus and mesquite when desert hiking. And I'm reasonably certain that a sharp rock or metal scrap would slice the sides much easier than an all-leather boot.

I am a mailman and I walk ALL DAY. I wear Merrell's exclusively at work and when I hike. They are built to take the punishment of every day and all the miles I rack up on them!

GO SOMEWHERE AND GET PROPERLY FITTED. Nothing is more expensive than the wrong boots.

Everyone's feet are different so the brand I use could be totally wrong for you. I have hiked/backpacked with as much as 68% of my body weight for extended periods, over 100 pounds and my knees give out. My training pace is 9 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes when I am in shape.

I am a huge LOWA fan especially for their handmade German boots. Merrell, Danner and, Vasque are well respected brands widely available in the USA.

For your suggested use, avoid 3/4 and steel shanks since they will be way too stiff. A poly 1/2 shank will offer reasonable protection (for the loads you will carry) from bruising the bones in your feet. I would get full height boots to support your ankles. I find good leather wears better and lasts longer than synthetics.

FINALLY, BUY GOOD SOCKS! I find heavy wool socks offer the best foot protection and comfort, yes even in the open desert of Arizona in the summer.

Best Regards,
Sid (from my cellphone)

Lots of good advice here, and your foot may need to be in the boots before you can decide. I've gone through all kinds and have settled on Solamon Quest 4d 2 GXT.

FINALLY, BUY GOOD SOCKS! I find heavy wool socks offer the best foot protection and comfort, yes even in the open desert of Arizona in the summer.

As someone who's worked summers outdoors hiking in the deserts, I can't agree with this more. My standard is one pair of wool, the thickest available, over a pair of wicking liners.
Nothing sucks more than bunched-up wringing-wet socks with no cushion on a 115-degree day. :thumbdn:

And take the same socks along when you're trying on the boots. :thumbup:

My underground mine boots have a bit of extra space, so to keep from getting blisters and to maintain support, I wear two pairs of wool over liners. I've done the same with regular hiking boots on extremely long hikes (20-40 miles) in order to fill every extra bit of space in the boot and maximize padding.

I've got Columbia Trail Meisters. They are water proof and comfortable. Really depends on your use. For casual hiking or shorter hikes, a moderate pair of boots is probably fine. For serious hiking, you probably want something high end. I wouldn't spend more than about a hundred bucks for casual hiking. But my son is a Marine and he was looking at some serious Rat boots for $300+ until he ended up driving an LAV. But not all of us hike a dozen miles with 80 pounds on our back regularly. Either way, go get fit or at least try on a few pairs.

Thanks for the great advice guys! I tried out some Merrells, and even though I hear wonderful things about them, they just don't work for my feet (I've had a pair in the past).

I would really like to try a pair of Salomon boots on, but unfortunately no stores near me carry any. I may have to make a trip somewhere to try some more brands on. I really love the way the Columbia Grant's Pass feel, but I worry they be lower quality.

I'm really surprised on the wool socks for hot weather, but I am going to invest in some. I definitely agree that I need to try on anything BEFORE I buy. Sound advice!

I love hiking, and often do sprints and jogging on the rocky trails. I HATE boots for hiking, i need those minimalist shoes with barely any sole. I haven't tried all of them so I can't say which ones are good or not, but I do have vivobarefoot neotrails and they are the best shoes I have ever bought.
Trying to buy another pair, but all the good colors are sold out.

I am a mailman and I walk ALL DAY. I wear Merrell's exclusively at work and when I hike. They are built to take the punishment of every day and all the miles I rack up on them!

On my second pair of Moab Mids, they're by far the most comfortable I've tried.

Some good suggestions here. I currently use Keen Targhee 2's for day hiking and Lowa Renegades and Asolo 520's for backpacking . I have also had good past results from Meindle's (from Cabelas). For socks I wear Smart Wool and Thorlo. I probably hike 1,200 kilometers per year in all types of terrain.

Another vote for the Salomon's; I have problems with foot pain due to Diabete's . I ended up with the Quest 4d 2 GXT. My toes love them

Back