Hiking Pack Weight

One thing men have a problem with is recognizing that going light isn’t the same as being weak. “Get stronger” is a common refrain from the ignorant and they say this to people who are in way better shape then they are.:rolleyes: The goal of going light isn’t because you can’t carry something(usually), it’s because you want the trip to be as pleasant as possible. If all your needs are met at a certain weight then a person is just downright stupid for carry more then that. I shakes my head at them. :D

It helps to separate consumables(food,water,stove fuel) from non-consumables when talking about weight because the consumables are so trip dependent. So, base weight(no consumables) with modern equipment should be about 20 pounds. 15 is better. One thing to consider is to pay attention to the pack you’re carrying. Some guys with the old timey packs and the modern modular/“tactical” packs don’t realize just how much those packs weigh by themselves. Some people carry packs as heavy as an ultralighters entire summer kit. Every molle loop, every additional pouch, every sewn in organizational pocket, not to mention canvas, etc, adds weight you don’t want to carry. I find it both lighter and easier to stow my survival gear in one ziplock bag in a simple well fitting nylon backpack instead of spreading it out into little nooks and crannies of a pack. Pull the ziplock out and you can see the thing you need through the bag. Beats the heck out of trying to remember which pouch or pocket has what.

After that take a look at your sleep and shelter system and see if you can save weight there and also remember to repack items that come with excess packaging or are just excess. I can’t tell you how often I see people’s packs and think to myself “if they didn’t take the WHOLE ROLL of duct tape or the 100 ft of cordage(what are people tying up in the woods that they need this much rope?!?:eek:) or ditched all of the useless over wrap on their food...they could carry 5 pounds less.” I’m guilty of some of that too until I carried it once. Sometimes you just have to touch the hot stove yourself. :D

Have fun on your next trip.

Last edited:
Sorry metric here:

Day hike 8-15km with food & water = 5-7kg
Overnighter 20-40km with everything: 15-20kg, depending on the wheather.

Every outing longer than that: ~ 30kg max getting lighter with water and food consumption. Need to replenish food after 2+3 days.

My overnight stuff weighs about 12kg, all other weight is food and water.

I do a lot of week long backpacking trips in the Sierra. A typical load out at the trailhead, with water and food, for a week is usually around 38lb. When I go for nine days I usually carry about 40lb, including two water bottles. This also includes the weight of the bear canister, which is often required in places I go. I have a carbon fiber bear canister that is lighter than any others on the market, but it still weighs 1.5lb.

Over the years I stopped carrying a lot of things that never actually got used. And I have slowly replaced heavy gear with light gear.

Now 64 years old. In the 1990's my backpacking buddy and I did some big trips into 12,000' mountains with pack weights around 35lb. (up to 5 days)

Last week I hiked 8 miles RT (plus 800' elevation gain) with 27 lb.
Week before was 10 miles RT and the same gain/loss.
Saw no one either time. Just other people's boot prints which mostly petered out at 4 miles in.

2.5qts water carried plus Personal Locator Beacon and some survival gear for winter hiking.
Lighter is better but adequate safety supplies first!

I file a travel plan with a relative so if I'm overdue she can give SAR ALL the info they could ask for and SAR HQ has her phone to call if my PLB is activated.

How many litres of water do you carry and what meals.do you eat each day?

I usually only carry about 1.5 L at the most at any given time. In the Sierra I can always plan on refilling the water bottles at streams and lakes. And since I never treat or filter my water (the Sierra water away from the roads is perfectly fine without treatment) I can refill very quickly by dunking my water bottle in the stream or lake.

Dinners are usually freeze-dried, or something like a packet of instant mashed potatoes with a foil pack of spam, or some type of instant noodles with a foil pack of tuna or salmon. Lunches are usually on the trail - cheese sticks (the mozzarella cheese sticks last a week in the high country without any trouble), crackers, sardines when I want to carry a little extra weight. Breakfast is usually some type of bar (lately granola bars), although sometimes I'll have oatmeal. Trail snacks are mix of sweet (peanut m&ms, swedish fish, mike&ike, etc) and salty (salted nuts, jerky, etc).

At my age it is a lot harder than it was 30 or 40 years ago, but I can still do it, albeit slower on the trail.

This will give you a good idea of the places I go to when on long backpacking trips:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/visiting-sarahs-lake-nine-days-in-sequoia-kings-canyon.1423004/

I usually only carry about 1.5 L at the most at any given time. In the Sierra I can always plan on refilling the water bottles at streams and lakes. And since I never treat or filter my water (the Sierra water away from the roads is perfectly fine without treatment) I can refill very quickly by dunking my water bottle in the stream or lake.

Dinners are usually freeze-dried, or something like a packet of instant mashed potatoes with a foil pack of spam, or some type of instant noodles with a foil pack of tuna or salmon. Lunches are usually on the trail - cheese sticks (the mozzarella cheese sticks last a week in the high country without any trouble), crackers, sardines when I want to carry a little extra weight. Breakfast is usually some type of bar (lately granola bars), although sometimes I'll have oatmeal. Trail snacks are mix of sweet (peanut m&ms, swedish fish, mike&ike, etc) and salty (salted nuts, jerky, etc).

At my age it is a lot harder than it was 30 or 40 years ago, but I can still do it, albeit slower on the trail.

This will give you a good idea of the places I go to when on long backpacking trips:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/visiting-sarahs-lake-nine-days-in-sequoia-kings-canyon.1423004/

Thanks info, I carry 1.5L bottles as well but I have fewer or no opportunity to refill. I usually dump some along the trail to consume on the return trip so start off overloaded. Obviously doesn't work if you don't return the way you left.

Water is the limiting factor for my hikes so always interested in how others handle it.

At 5'10" 185-190lbs, my base pack weight is about 25lbs - that being stove, water purifier, axe/hatchet, messkit/pot, first aid kit, cordage, flashlight, bear bag, one tarp and a tent/shelter. Add clothing and food - about 45 lbs. That being a solo pack, 2-3 nights out.

When hiking with my kids and wife, the load goes up considerably. When the kids were 5 or so, our first hike my pack weighed 90+lbs, as they've gotten older that pack weight has dropped to about 70, which I can hump for 10-12 miles in a day without much problem.

As the kids are able to carry more and more of their gear and food (1/3 bodyweight is their limit), my pack is getting progressively lighter. At 1/3 bodyweight I can go forever. Is normally about 65lbs when backpacking with the boys, but that includes a 12 pack and a lot of luxury foods...

Until a few minutes ago I didn't know that carrying a heavy pack was considered a sport of any kind. I must have been doing something wrong all these years.

I also had a look at the backpacks in the Goruck website. It had also been a while since I had seen such high prices on the simplest designed backpacks. No hipbelts, not internal framed (of course not required because it seems all the weight is meant to go on your shoulders as there is no hip belt),...

Seriously, I still don't get it. What is the point of punishing your shoulders? If you want to carry weight for leg conditioning and cardio, do so... but do it with a water load, so you can dump it at the top of whatever peak you are climbing/hiking and then save your knees during the descent. And do so with a pack that allows to transfer 60% or more of the weight to the hips so you save your upper body. This requires internal/external frame and a decent hipbelt. I am partial to internal frames for obvious reasons.

I like to go ice climbing, alpine climbing, sky touring and any combination of the aforementioned activities. Every gram counts. If I can get lighter mandatory gear, I do so. If I can avoid carrying something altogether, I leave it at home. And even doing so, just the climbing gear is heavy enough. Add deep snow, steep scrambling or vertical climbing to the mix. Typical day climbing pack (double ropes, rock + ice rack, food, water, etc) takes you easily above 15kg (33 pounds).

I don't mind a few commodities when I go leisure-hiking with my familiy (gf + daugther) which translate into a few extra kg.

When I go mountain running for training, I carry a 2016 Camelback Lobo (3l bladder) with the water I expect to need (ranging from 1l to 3l), a few power gels, first aid kit, whistle, knife, space blanket, phone, ID, extra torso layer and headlamp... It is arround 5kg at most... and I am nowhere near what the UL skyrunners carry (they carry much less stuff).

I get the idea of training... but I don't understand the idea behind of doing so adding unnecesary punishment by using innapropiate gear.

Answering to the OP, the biggest backpack I have ever carried was arround 30kg (66 pounds), which in mountain terrain proved a really bad idea because at the time I was arround 67-68kg. I was hauling almost 50% body weight in the pack. DUMB APPROACH let me tell you.

Mikel

Last edited:
Back