Hill Pearce • A tribute to his works and influence

Great knives, and a great thread to start the day with. My favorite is the khyber, man that's sick. He forged the t-section! I've been wanting to try that. I think he captured the historical essence of that style very well.
I love that fluted ivory/integral dirk, too.

My favorite is the Khyber. Of the times that I have considered making a Hill Pearce inspired knife, I wanted to do that one. However, after looking at all the work put into the handles, I gave up the idea. lol. What I love about his work is the spanish notch that he put on them. That is when I give up, after studying them for a little bit.

But! He does have the best last name ever. :D

Jim: I can see why you collect this man's work - splendid lines, materials, and execution. Thanks for sharing with us and good luck on your quest.

Have loved his work ever since I saw it the first time on one of your threads. Always appreciate you sharing the love. :thumbup:

Great stuff.

- Joe

Excellent thread, Coop.
I followed Hill Pearce's work through your threads and posts and have always dug his knives.
Thanks for the continuing education.

All stunning in design, such cool lines…
and the Ivory Coffin Bowie does it for me.
Thanks again for this superb thread. :)

Doug

Coop, If my memory serves correct. You had some of these on display at the Blade show 2010. I remember gazing at them when I took my JS set in for images.

They are truly a marvelous collection.

Thanks for sharing

Bing

Salem, Shaw, Logan, Tim, Doug, Joe, Bruce: Thank you.

Bruce: That's correct. I brought them to show them off. You reminded me of an even nicer memory about that, though...

The late Larry Bailey. At Blade, Larry went out of his way to bring me a display case, just so I could show off my Hill Pearce knives protected. Completely his idea and willingness that made it happen.

A testimony to his undying support of Custom Knives, and his love of the people. :thumbup:

More than a little bit of good karma in these HP knives. :)

Coop

Coop I completely understand why you collect this mans work, it is extraordinary! That coupled with your skill set makes for a perfect pairing!

I am smitten with the Ivory Coffin handled Bowie! All are outstanding and most interesting...... Most interesting!

I love his flintlock too! Thanks for showing it all. I will be looking at this thread often.

Regards,

Steve
-----------
Member, W.F. Moran Foundation

Last edited:
Love those. IIRC, I helped you on one too, that I had seen, maybe at the Eugene show. I can't remember what it looked like, maybe a wood-handled folder?

Could look at these all day. The filework, lines and style are just stunning! Thanks for sharing.

^^^ Thanks for the reminder, Joss. I'm afraid I've lost track of all the good folks who've steered me into possibilities. :(

I need a better secretary. ;) Thank YOU!

Coop

Great collection, Jim

I enjoyed seeing them while at your house. You sure score a few more since then

lovely to see such a cohesive yet varied body of work!
each piece so unique from the others as well as from the works that other makers were creating at the time, and yet instantly recognizable as his work!
very inspiring and encouraging! thanks!

I recently exchanged emails with Coop about his avatar and kept coming back to this thread. Here's to hoping Coop's collection keeps growing so more incredible knives get added :). I just never get tired of seeing them.

Jeremy

Man that is some Iconic work

I usually don't care for filework as it frequently looks like the coverup of a makers mistake, but the mark of a MASTER at filework is that you can't imagine the knife without it, It completes the knife and draws your eye to the eloquent details.

Great comments. Thanks for noticing.

I wish I could tell you I have added another HP found knife since this was posted a year ago, but the cupboards have been bare. ;)

Keep me in mind if you have your eyes open!

Coop

Back