"Hillbilly Blood: A Hardscrabble Life

It looks like an old Gurkha Army Khuk. Like the ones advertised as "Longleaf" from Atlanta Cutlery or IMA. Ontario Khuk does not have as much drop as the one he is using. Might even be a Bjopure. Notice when hes chopping for chips it goes sideways on him like hes getting tired and compromising his grip, I would to after chopping half the log up for chips.
Been watching Hillbilly Blood today and noticed in several eps that Spencer carries a khukri knife. Anyone know which brand it is? I'm almost certain it's an Ontario kuk but not 100% sure.

The revival of this thread focused my attention on the post by Celticsiren (#76) with an address for a local newspaper article. Looked it up and found it very enlightening and interesting. I had not seen it before. Not sure where Eugene actually lives, but it says he is a Michigan native and Spencer was a school teacher prior to the show. So, no they are not hillbillies at all, but that doesn't make the show bad necessarily. It just makes the show a reality TV show > "another show".

Exactly! I agree. Take it for what it is. I rarely even turn on the TV with 800 channels of useless crap but being a Khukri nut my self thought it was unusual to turn on the tv and theres this dude bustin up apples with a Khuk! So i watched the rest of the show. Even reality shows are not reality. Neither are survival shows. It was entertaining tho.
The revival of this thread focused my attention on the post by Celticsiren (#76) with an address for a local newspaper article. Looked it up and found it very enlightening and interesting. I had not seen it before. Not sure where Eugene actually lives, but it says he is a Michigan native and Spencer was a school teacher prior to the show. So, no they are not hillbillies at all, but that doesn't make the show bad necessarily. It just makes the show a reality TV show > "another show".

Saw the first two episodes of Season 3. We had knife chopping, a rasied bed for sleeping, building a litter, digging ginseng, dredging for gold in "lost creek", and most special of all, a really good looking Bloodhound that can sniff out ginseng. Not sure about the sniffing part, but sure was a pretty hound dog. Eugene got a truck.

I believe that I have exactly the same pump that they used and it is for clear water only. But hey, it's a TV show.

...- and I doubt that someone with a survival Youtube channel doesn't have a cell phone.

heck, even maasai cattle herders in africa have cell phones.
View attachment 411185
us rednecks have been carrying them for years now.

my BIL, billy, preferred bein' called a hill-william*. he lived in town, mowed his lawn. did not have a broke rusty pickup lawn ornament and actually worked indoors. we did however grow up in the hilly forested bits of alabama.

*- not true, i made that up for effect.

Last edited:
heck, even maasai cattle herders in africa have cell phones.
View attachment 411185
us rednecks have been carrying them for years now.

my BIL, billy, preferred bein' called a hill-william*. he lived in town, mowed his lawn. did not have a broke rusty pickup lawn ornament and actually worked indoors. we did however grow up in the hilly forested bits of alabama.

*- not true, i made that up for effect.

I have a late friend (AKA Borneo Slim) who used to say after his stories. "Well if it aint true it oughta be!" :thumbup:

I stumbled across this websites posts and couldnt believe the negitive comments by everyone about the show and its host. I do appreciate everyones different points of view. On that note, I would like to offer the "other side of the argument" for one, the hosts are NOT related. They are not "brothers" in the traditional since. the second, there is a reason they dont act "hillbilly" they are educated men! READ THIShttp://www.hcpress.com/people-2/canton-man-goes-from-small-town-middle-school-teacher-to-co-host-of-new-reality-televsion-series.html

The show never implied that this was REAL, it does imply however, how one can live with little or nothing. How to "get by" with only the things you can find lying around or aquire by a few trades. It showes how one doesnt have to rely on modern technoligy to get by in this life...

This show as well as ALL television should be taken as it original design, TO ENTERTAIN us, perhaps educate, but nothing more than that. Take it for what it is, entertainment.......

I think this post is as accurate as I have read on this thread. With all respect to others, I had to jump in and make a few comments. First, I am part of the production crew. There are certain things that I can not say due to non disclosure agreements that production members are required to sign. OK, with that said, what you have to understand is this is entertainment television. It is not intended to be a documentary. Producers meet with talent and discuss situations that may be "real life" situations surviving with as little as possible. All talent, such as cowboy, appearing on the show have been interviewed by producers. They are very real! A visit to a local coffee shop offered most of our leads to the secondary talent, aka, extras. The hosts, Eugene and Spencer, were selected and interviewed by producers and a talent agency as well. They do have "real lives" other than hosting the show. No one has suggested they didn't. However, both have and/or does live in the mountains as depicted in the show. They too are very real in that respect. Folks who have been raised in the mountains have been known to actually receive an education and hit the "big city" now and then! I don't know what has heresthedeal all whipped up over the show. It is what it is. A "how to " show. It's not everyone's type of show but then again, neither was This Old House! And no, I am not comparing the two. So, don't get all worked up about that too!

Last edited:
I think this post is as accurate as I have read on this thread. With all respect to others, I had to jump in and make a few comments. First, I am part of the production crew. There are certain things that I can not say due to non disclosure agreements that production members are required to sign. OK, with that said, what you have to understand is this is entertainment television. It is not intended to be a documentary. Producers meet with talent and discuss situations that may be "real life" situations surviving with as little as possible. All talent, such as cowboy, appearing on the show have been interviewed by producers. They are very real! A visit to a local coffee shop offered most of our leads to the secondary talent, aka, extras. The hosts, Eugene and Spencer, were selected and interviewed by producers and a talent agency as well. They do have "real lives" other than hosting the show. No one has suggested they didn't. However, both have and/or does live in the mountains as depicted in the show. They too are very real in that respect. Folks who have been raised in the mountains have been known to actually receive an education and hit the "big city" now and then! I don't know what has heresthedeal all whipped up over the show. It is what it is. A "how to " show. It's not everyone's type of show but then again, neither was This Old House! And no, I am not comparing the two. So, don't get all worked up about that too!

Another 1 poster, cool.
You read the entire thread and you pulled my user name out of it, I'm not sure how to feel about that.
I had to go back and reread what I posted and I have to say, damb, some of it was a bit harsh, BUT, after getting on youtube and rewatching an episode or two, seemed about right.
I think after the show ends then the hard scrable life will start, I hope he saves a hubcap off that new truck to cook in.
Enjoy the money from the production company.

Buy he Foxfire series of books instead.

I received my first one in the mid-70s (before it was a series)--- The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living.

http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx

Last edited:
Buy he Foxfire series of books instead.

I received my first one in the mid-70s (before it was a series)--- The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living.

http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx

Great series of books, had 3 of them but lent 2 out, now I only have 1.
Great books, about REAL hill people.

Another 1 poster, cool.
You read the entire thread and you pulled my user name out of it, I'm not sure how to feel about that.
I had to go back and reread what I posted and I have to say, damb, some of it was a bit harsh, BUT, after getting on youtube and rewatching an episode or two, seemed about right.
I think after the show ends then the hard scrable life will start, I hope he saves a hubcap off that new truck to cook in.
Enjoy the money from the production company.

You are correct, heresthedeal. You are the man! Now, I will be up to two posts. As I clearly said in my post, I was reading all the posts and had to jump in and comment. The cast will be just fine long after the production. I am sure the guys will be appreciative that you are concerned about their well being. I will pass along your concerns. I am still not clear as to why you are so concerned about the show. I believe I was clear with the logline concept of the show. Again, understand that this is entertainment. You may not enjoy or believe in the show but there are millions who do. Life is too short to obsess about the show by watching YouTube videos to confirm (to yourself) your dislike. How about simply not watching. Just think, you can free up more time to watch shows you do like! The cast works hard to provide enjoyable "how to" entertainment. The show will survive with or without you.

One of the main reasons I watched the show was for the scenery. I have driven some of those same roads. Of these kinds of shows, it is probably about average, but I find it fun to watch even if I know a lot of the impetus behind the story line is mostly BS.

Production man, I assume you are connected to the show. Is there going to be another season?

One of the main reasons I watched the show was for the scenery. I have driven some of those same roads. Of these kinds of shows, it is probably about average, but I find it fun to watch even if I know a lot of the impetus behind the story line is mostly BS.

Production man, I assume you are connected to the show. Is there going to be another season?
Hope he keeps his Khukuri! Looks like it fits him well:D

I will say that there is another season in the can and ready to go however, I am a segment producer and not privy to the client's and/or the Network's decisions. If the ratings continue to hold, the sponsors will continue to buy advertising slots, the show will continue! "How to" realty TV is no different than other TV. It's all about profits!

I'm sure i will regret some of the comments I will probably receive however, for those who are serious, I would be interested to know, what subject matter you would (anyone) like to see in place of HB or as a new production. Please keep in mind, like it or not, Networks/Investors will never finance a production without having some input and control over content. Each and every cast member will be interviewed and selected by the powers to be. (Cast members are not just "actors", They can be anyone off the street. So, don't be concerned over the term cast members.) So, charged with the task of concept, content and production, how would your storyboard read?

What dude are you referring to?

The wrong dude, but it's all still the same thing. A dumb red neck or three who build stuff out of duck tape and past blue ribbon cans. I lived in Tennessee from Bristol over to Johnsoncity with my home base in Piny Flats. While I did meet my fare share of characters, none were as weird or atypical "redneck" as this show or others have made them out to be. So while the actors may not be who I expected, the show is the date prepackaged garbage aimed at consumer group who live vicariously through the actors.

The wrong dude, but it's all still the same thing. A dumb red neck or three who build stuff out of duck tape and past blue ribbon cans. I lived in Tennessee from Bristol over to Johnsoncity with my home base in Piny Flats. While I did meet my fare share of characters, none were as weird or atypical "redneck" as this show or others have made them out to be. So while the actors may not be who I expected, the show is the date prepackaged garbage aimed at consumer group who live vicariously through the actors.

What? "...consumer group who live vicariously through the actors" Really? Would you care to suggest a better storyline, oh, let's say based in Texas? I am interested in hearing your ideas.

What? "...consumer group who live vicariously through the actors" Really? Would you care to suggest a better storyline, oh, let's say based in Texas? I am interested in hearing your ideas.

Hell no. Would not have time to watch anyway. Work and sleep take up most of my time. If I get a chance to play I go do thatcinstead of watch TV.

Back