Histamine Intolerance?

My wife has had a rash for several weeks. She's been to a number of doctors and the dermatologist thinks she may have a histamine intolerance. I've been trying to find out more about that particularly some kind of a cook book or diet guide as I do most of the cooking.

I guess everything pretty much has histamine but things like fermented\pickled and cured foods have a lot as does red wine, etc. From what little I've read basically as things age (like aged meat or even just leftovers sitting in the fridge) raises the histamine in the food.

It doesn't seem to be as well known\written about as other issues like gluten intolerance.

Anybody know anything or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I don't know how the dermatologist arrived at that opinion...

I'd recommend a second opinion from an allergist, preferably one who specializes in allergic (contact) dermatitis.

They may be able to run some tests: 24 hour urine tests, allergy testing, bloodwork.

This is a controversial topic, and it is a lot of work to change the diet if there is another explanation.

There are different types of blood tests for markers of inflammation, metabolic health and other indices, urine tests for metabolites, and different types of allergy testing (prick tests, skin tests, Intradermal (ID) testing, patch tests (usually for contact allergy). There is overlap between what dermatologists and allergists know and test for, however, IMO an allergist is going to know more about histamine and related disorders.

If she has a rash where her clothes or jewelry contact her, they would test for metals, detergents, dyes, fragrances, etc., and other things that contact her, and it may have little or nothing to do with food. There is also the timing of the food and rash and duration. These are things a good allergist would know. (A lot of this also depends on where the rash is, what it looks like, what it feels like, etc., and possibly other things in the medical history.)

Just to give you and idea (NOT medical advice!), here are 2 abstracts that talk a bit about histamine intolerance and food and "causing symptoms like diarrhea, hypotension, headache, pruritus and flush ("histamine intolerance"). Notice that it is not IgE mediated and skin-prick testing will typically be negative (according to the first source), so the allergist--if he agrees with the dermatologist-- could do other types of testing as I mentioned.

Clin Exp Allergy. 1993 Dec;23(12):982-5.
Histamine-free diet: treatment of choice for histamine-induced food intolerance and supporting treatment for chronic headaches.
Wantke F1, Götz M, Jarisch R.
Author information

Abstract
Histamine-induced food intolerance is not IgE-mediated. Skin-prick testing and specific IgE to food allergens are typically negative. Food rich in histamine or red wine may cause allergy-like symptoms such as sneezing, flush, skin itching, diarrhoea and even shortness of breath. The suspected reason is a diminished histamine degradation based on a deficiency of diamine oxidase. As diamine oxidase cannot be supplemented, a histamine-free diet was implemented to reduce histamine intake. Forty-five patients with a history of suffering from intolerance to food or wine (n = 17) and chronic headache (n = 28) were put on the diet over months to years. Fish, cheese, hard cured sausages, pickled cabbage and alcoholic beverages had to be avoided. Complaint intensity and drug-use per week prior to and 4 weeks after a histamine-free diet were compared. After 4 weeks on the diet 33/45 patients improved considerably (P < 0.01), eight of them had total remission. In 12/45 patients, however, no changes in symptoms were observed. Symptoms of food or wine intolerance significantly decreased (P < 0.02; treatment of choice), headaches decreased in frequency (P < 0.001), duration and intensity. After eating histamine-rich food symptoms were reproducible and could be eliminated by anti-histamines in most patients. These data indicate the role of histamine in food and wine intolerance and that histamine-rich food causes a worsening of symptoms in patients suffering from chronic headaches. Results obtained support the hypothesis of a deficiency of diamine oxidase in patients with intolerance to food or wine.

Comment in
PMID:

Allergy Asthma Proc. 2004 Sep-Oct;25(5):305-11.
Histamine intolerance-like symptoms in healthy volunteers after oral provocation with liquid histamine.
Wöhrl S1, Hemmer W, Focke M, Rappersberger K, Jarisch R.
Author information

Abstract

Histamine in food at non-toxic doses has been proposed to be a major cause of food intolerance causing symptoms like diarrhea, hypotension, headache, pruritus and flush ("histamine intolerance"). Histamine-rich foods such as cheese, sausages, sauerkraut, tuna, tomatoes, and alcoholic beverages may contain histamine up to 500 mg/kg. We conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over study in 10 healthy females (age range 22-36 years, mean 29.1 +/- 5.4) who were hospitalized and challenged on two consecutive days with placebo (peppermint tea) or 75 mg of pure histamine (equaling 124 mg histamine dihydrochloride, dissolved in peppermint tea). Objective parameters (heart rate, blood pressure, skin temperature, peak flow) as well as a total clinical symptom score using a standardized protocol were recorded at baseline, 10, 20, 40, 80 minutes, and 24 hours. The subjects received a histamine-free diet also low in allergen 24 hours before hospitalization and over the whole observation period. Blood samples were drawn at baseline, 10, 20, 40, and 80 minutes, and histamine and the histamine-degrading enzyme diamine oxidase (DAO) were determined. After histamine challenge, 5 of 10 subjects showed no reaction. One individual experienced tachycardia, mild hypotension after 20 minutes, sneezing, itching of the nose, and rhinorrhea after 60 minutes. Four subjects experienced delayed symptoms like diarrhea (4x), flatulence (3x), headache (3x), pruritus (2x) and ocular symptoms (1x) starting 3 to 24 hours after provocation. No subject reacted to placebo. No changes were observed in histamine and DAO levels within the first 80 minutes in non-reactors as well as reactors. There was no difference in challenge with histamine versus challenge with placebo. We conclude that 75 mg of pure liquid oral histamine--a dose found in normal meals--can provoke immediate as well as delayed symptoms in 50% of healthy females without a history of food intolerance.

PMID:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
Sure thing. Good luck! If you care to share the outcome, it would be interesting to know how and who figured it out! (Having spoken to dermatologists and allergists, rashes can be tough to figure out--again depending on the presentation and other factors.)

I don't know how the dermatologist arrived at that opinion...

I'd recommend a second opinion from an allergist, preferably one who specializes in allergic (contact) dermatitis.

They may be able to run some tests: 24 hour urine tests, allergy testing, bloodwork.

This is a controversial topic, and it is a lot of work to change the diet if there is another explanation.

This is an alternate explanation, but a lot simpler option to eliminate. Methlchloroisothiazolinone, and an analog spelled almost exactly the same are in every brand of shampoo/conditioner under $8 and almost every brand between $8-20 and is known to cause immediate contact dermatitis in something like 50% of users at some point. I once went looking for a brand without this ingredient and out of 50 or so brands I checked, only garnier fructis and ogx did not have this ingredient.

Reactions: Mo2
This is an alternate explanation, but a lot simpler option to eliminate. Methlchloroisothiazolinone, and an analog spelled almost exactly the same are in every brand of shampoo/conditioner under $8 and almost every brand between $8-20 and is known to cause immediate contact dermatitis in something like 50% of users at some point. I once went looking for a brand without this ingredient and out of 50 or so brands I checked, only garnier fructis and ogx did not have this ingredient.
I don't disagree, and it would be much easier to substitute shampoo than change the menu!

Personally, I think the medical community has failed us when you check the stats on the number of people who can not tolerate fragrances or chemicals such as you mention in everything from detergent to toothpaste.

Check out Cleure if you are looking for personal products with fewer ingredients (I try to keep it simple where chemicals are concerned.) There is a great laundry soap that has about 4 ingredients (different company). Even the "doctor approved" laundry soaps have tons of crap that bother people, and companies are allowed to change the formula without full disclosure so people get nasty surprises.

The fact that companies do not have to disclose ingredients is ridiculous. Even if one were to figure out what they are allergic to-- or irritated by-- he may not know which ingredient in the product to avoid, except by avoiding all of them and then using the trial and error method to find a substitute. This is where a dermatologist or allergist who patch tests can theoretically accelerate the process. However, testing may have drawbacks as well.

Considering we don't know anything about this person's rash, it may or may not be the shampoo or other grooming product which is why I suggested a broader approach. The doctor also has to rule out "serious" causes as well (systemic disease).

I've read about this in many sources and just found this--another example of an explanation I don't know if the dermatologist asked about: new clothes and/or laundry products! People get rashes from not washing new clothes before they wear them. This article may not be 100% accurate medically (since different types of allergies/symptoms are categorized differently), but as far as I can tell it gets the gist of things across: that clothes, esp. new ones, and what we wash them with, may be an important thing to consider.

Clothing Allergy: 5 Reasons, 7 Symptoms, and 6 Ways to Control

Clothing allergy or textile contact dermatitis is common for many. However, the cause of such skin condition is not actually brought about by the clothes we wear but rather due to the materials and substances embedded within the textile. There are also other possible reasons why individuals suffer allergies from clothes.

Skin-Allergy_1024x1024.jpg

Reasons behind Clothing Allergy
You suffer different symptoms of clothing allergy because of the following:

1. Washing Powder. Detergents are important ingredients when it comes to cleaning clothes. Unfortunately, numerous commercial detergents contain harmful toxins like dyes and perfumes which encourage allergic reaction in specific individuals.
  2. New Clothing. It comes as a surprise to many that new clothes can actually result to allergic reactions. Since it is new, they do not wash it. The problem is, new clothes contain formaldehyde which is toxic and can trigger skin itchiness or irritation. This chemical compound is used to keep clothes crease free while displayed or stocked in department stores.
  3. Materials Used. There are different types of textile fabric such as cotton, lycra, wool, silk, corduroy, and jeans, among others. Different people have differing reactions to such materials. Some can be allergic to lycra or spandex while others with denim clothing. In fact, 6% of the entire U.S. population has an allergy to latex or spandex.
  4. Accessories. Studs, zips, buttons, and buckles can pose allergy problems too, especially if the items contain nickel.
  5. Chemicals Used. Some chemicals like phthalates that are commonly found in plastic, brominated flame retardant, and perfluorinated compounds used in breathable fabrics cause allergies and may even be carcinogenic.
How Clothing Contact Dermatitis Occurs
An allergic reaction to clothing occurs when antibody cells recognize chemical structures of compounds used and found in clothes, then treat them as foreign objects or even consider them as threatening. Because of that reaction, plasma cells will start producing allergic antibodies which find their way to different systems of the body. These antibodies will integrate with pro-inflammatory cells that line the skin. When they bind together, histamines are released; thereby, causing different symptoms of clothing allergy.

Symptoms of Clothing Allergy
Just like any other type of allergies, clothing related allergy symptoms come in different variety of strengths ranging from mild to occasional to even severe reactions. It varies depending on the kind of triggers you have to deal with.

There are numerous factors to consider when it comes to clothing contact dermatitis as listed in the causes above. As for the symptoms, here they are:

1. Runny nose possibly caused by inhaling airborne chemicals used in detergents used.
  2. Watery eyes as a result of inflammation running up there in your visual system.
  3. Skin redness which is one of the most common symptoms of allergy, regardless of the reason behind it.
  4. Scaly and itchy skin which may also be accompanied by swelling and inflammation; it is further characterized by cracked and hard skin surfaces.
  5. Blistering and skin lesions when metallic particles merge with sweat
  6. Skin Acne
  7. Inflammation of hair follicles as a result of clothes contamination
Ways to Control Clothing Allergy
Like other kind of allergies, clothing allergy can be avoided also. But first, let us discuss how clothing allergy is treated.

First, you should visit a physician who can perform an allergy test in order to determine the strength of the allergy and the precise reason behind it. Normally, your doctor will recommend administering calcineurin or corticosteroids to help relieve the usual symptoms such as rashes and itchiness. Antihistamines can also be recommended as it is one of the most effective ways to get rid of common allergy symptoms in general.

Now here are easy ways to control clothing allergy:
  1. Wear cotton fabric as cotton is known to be least prone to clothing allergy.
  2. Always wash new clothes before wearing them.
  3. Use only soap and water when washing clothes. As much as possible, lessen, if not completely eliminate the use of fabric conditioner and detergents which contain perfumes and other harsh chemicals.
  4. Determine what causes skin irritation and avoid it. For example, if it is the nickel button in your pants and shirt sleeves, replace it with nylon buttons.
  5. Remove old clothes as it may have accumulated dust and mites over the years.
  6. Always wash your clothes before using them again.
  7. Stop wearing clothes that give you allergy.
As a final word, if you think that the symptoms are severe, contact your dermatologist immediately.

https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/bl...gy-5-reasons-7-symptoms-and-6-ways-to-control

I've read about this in many sources and just found this--another example of an explanation I don't know if the dermatologist asked about: new clothes and/or laundry products! People get rashes from not washing new clothes before they wear them. This article may not be 100% accurate medically (since different types of allergies/symptoms are categorized differently), but as far as I can tell it gets the gist of things across: that clothes, esp. new ones, and what we wash them with, may be an important thing to consider.

Clothing Allergy: 5 Reasons, 7 Symptoms, and 6 Ways to Control

Clothing allergy or textile contact dermatitis is common for many. However, the cause of such skin condition is not actually brought about by the clothes we wear but rather due to the materials and substances embedded within the textile. There are also other possible reasons why individuals suffer allergies from clothes.

Skin-Allergy_1024x1024.jpg

Reasons behind Clothing Allergy
You suffer different symptoms of clothing allergy because of the following:

1. Washing Powder. Detergents are important ingredients when it comes to cleaning clothes. Unfortunately, numerous commercial detergents contain harmful toxins like dyes and perfumes which encourage allergic reaction in specific individuals.
  2. New Clothing. It comes as a surprise to many that new clothes can actually result to allergic reactions. Since it is new, they do not wash it. The problem is, new clothes contain formaldehyde which is toxic and can trigger skin itchiness or irritation. This chemical compound is used to keep clothes crease free while displayed or stocked in department stores.
  3. Materials Used. There are different types of textile fabric such as cotton, lycra, wool, silk, corduroy, and jeans, among others. Different people have differing reactions to such materials. Some can be allergic to lycra or spandex while others with denim clothing. In fact, 6% of the entire U.S. population has an allergy to latex or spandex.
  4. Accessories. Studs, zips, buttons, and buckles can pose allergy problems too, especially if the items contain nickel.
  5. Chemicals Used. Some chemicals like phthalates that are commonly found in plastic, brominated flame retardant, and perfluorinated compounds used in breathable fabrics cause allergies and may even be carcinogenic.
How Clothing Contact Dermatitis Occurs
An allergic reaction to clothing occurs when antibody cells recognize chemical structures of compounds used and found in clothes, then treat them as foreign objects or even consider them as threatening. Because of that reaction, plasma cells will start producing allergic antibodies which find their way to different systems of the body. These antibodies will integrate with pro-inflammatory cells that line the skin. When they bind together, histamines are released; thereby, causing different symptoms of clothing allergy.

Symptoms of Clothing Allergy
Just like any other type of allergies, clothing related allergy symptoms come in different variety of strengths ranging from mild to occasional to even severe reactions. It varies depending on the kind of triggers you have to deal with.

There are numerous factors to consider when it comes to clothing contact dermatitis as listed in the causes above. As for the symptoms, here they are:

1. Runny nose possibly caused by inhaling airborne chemicals used in detergents used.
  2. Watery eyes as a result of inflammation running up there in your visual system.
  3. Skin redness which is one of the most common symptoms of allergy, regardless of the reason behind it.
  4. Scaly and itchy skin which may also be accompanied by swelling and inflammation; it is further characterized by cracked and hard skin surfaces.
  5. Blistering and skin lesions when metallic particles merge with sweat
  6. Skin Acne
  7. Inflammation of hair follicles as a result of clothes contamination
Ways to Control Clothing Allergy
Like other kind of allergies, clothing allergy can be avoided also. But first, let us discuss how clothing allergy is treated.

First, you should visit a physician who can perform an allergy test in order to determine the strength of the allergy and the precise reason behind it. Normally, your doctor will recommend administering calcineurin or corticosteroids to help relieve the usual symptoms such as rashes and itchiness. Antihistamines can also be recommended as it is one of the most effective ways to get rid of common allergy symptoms in general.

Now here are easy ways to control clothing allergy:
  1. Wear cotton fabric as cotton is known to be least prone to clothing allergy.
  2. Always wash new clothes before wearing them.
  3. Use only soap and water when washing clothes. As much as possible, lessen, if not completely eliminate the use of fabric conditioner and detergents which contain perfumes and other harsh chemicals.
  4. Determine what causes skin irritation and avoid it. For example, if it is the nickel button in your pants and shirt sleeves, replace it with nylon buttons.
  5. Remove old clothes as it may have accumulated dust and mites over the years.
  6. Always wash your clothes before using them again.
  7. Stop wearing clothes that give you allergy.
As a final word, if you think that the symptoms are severe, contact your dermatologist immediately.

https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/bl...gy-5-reasons-7-symptoms-and-6-ways-to-control

Ive read that blue jeans shouldn’t be washed for 6 months after buying them, so they could form fit to the wearers body. I guess that part was wrong! I do, however, wash them very infrequently, with only cold water and soap, then hanging them to dry, and ensuring that a new pair can last for years. I am not so extreme, but I have saved a lot of money by adhering to this discipline. I only wear cotton and wool clothing, most of the year, though in summer I sometimes wear silk, linen, or rayon shirts. Polyester,nylon, acrylics and spandex, even if it’s only 5% of the total content, I avoid entirely. Another possibility why even cotton clothing needs to be washed is for the same reason fruit or vegetables need washing before eating—insecticides applied to the cotton before harvesting.

My ex wife had numerous health problems which no doctor had ever been able to diagnose. I did some research and we decided to cut out gluten from her diet entirely, and within 6 months nearly every one of her undiagnosed conditions disappeared. After another couple of months, she gradually began adding small amounts of gluten containing foods(which had always been her favorites)back into her diet without ill effects.

Another possibility why even cotton clothing needs to be washed is for the same reason fruit or vegetables need washing before eating—insecticides applied to the cotton before harvesting.

I agree that we don't know what's on/in the fabric, including adulterated dyes, toxins, or pathogens, and I find it more difficult than ever to trust garments from outsourced countries to be made with concern for health.

After reading numerous stories on this issue, I am convinced about pre-washing garments and usually wash anything new 1-2x before wearing. I, too, am frugal, and I don't care about the money when it comes to avoiding a lot of misery.

One of my ex's had to have everything hypo allergenic in it. Couldnt use most washer and drier softeners or sheets etc. Most things would cause rashes. Don't think she was diagnosed with a particular problem but they noticed the issue and what to stay away from for the most part.

Also have an old friend that has to stay away from gluten. We would have to make sure if we went out that they didn't cook the food on the same oven as gluten foods, else she would have issues. Though this was some years back I don't remember if she got a rash or swollen up.

IMO, things should be hypoallergenic out of the box (to the extent possible), and the companies should get called on their use of dozens of chemicals and fragrance. And I despise those washer smells and dryer sheets--your poor ex-wife. People NEED fabric softener? Really?

A family member came back from a 3 week trip to Germany where they washed his clothes. After repeated washings I could not get that smell out (some fake lavender smell). I wound up throwing out a whole suitcase of clothes. Those smells are the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.

Something labeled "cinnamon" may be a cocktail of 120 chemicals--none of them real cinnamon. When all of these agents GRAS were allowed into the food/supply chain, I wonder if they ever imagined how MUCH of all this artificial crap people would contact in a lifetime. And they wonder why people have undiagnosable, untreatable health problems...

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/04/12/new-clothes-can-harbor-fecal-bacteria-expert-says.html

New clothes can harbor fecal bacteria, expert says
A Message from Final Fantasy

3 days ago
1523535487299.jpg

Your brand new attire may not be as clean as you think. (iStock)

Turns out that brand new, store-bought outfit may not be as clean as you think.

One expert made waves in a recent Huffington Post interview in which he claimed that new, unwashed articles of clothing can harbor fecal germs, norovirus and bacteria, including strep and staph.

Philip Tierno, professor of microbiology and pathology at New York University, told the outlet that his studies have indicated that germ counts are quite high on garments featured for sale in stores, given how many people try them on.

“It’s not four or five or six people; it’s dozens and dozens ... if that garment sits there for weeks or a month,” he said.

People mostly spread germs from skin, respiratory tree and anus, he said, adding that even touching germ-infested clothing puts one at risk.

Germs aside, according to Tierno many clothing items are also treated with chemical-finishing agents and dyes that can irritate the skin, which gives you another reason to head to the laundry room before wearing your new look.

Donald Belsito, a professor of dermatology at Columbia University Medical Center, chimed in with similar thoughts to the Wall Street Journal, reporting that he has seen unwashed store-bought garments facilitate the spread of scabies, lice, fungus and infectious diseases.

Whether you’re a fan of fast fashion or investment pieces, retail workers also agree that throwing your new duds in the wash before wearing is simply a smart idea.

"A lot of people just come home and if it has a tag attached, they think it's brand new and they wear it, Tori Patrick, a former retail saleswoman, told Good Morning America. "You really never know where it's been."

Janine Puhak is an editor for Fox News Lifestyle. Follow her on Twitter at @JaninePuhak

All I can say is good luck. For every bit of good advice on-line there are 50 that are complete BS. Keep an open mind of course, but also be cautious of who's hand is in your pocket. Its not hard to see a major trend of the so called "natural health" folks flogging pills just as hard, if not harder than the mainstream medical companies, while at the same time crying at how doctors "control" us. In general its not some Dr. House level stuff, its likely pretty simple.

Back