Historic Swordsmanship Seminar, Denver

but one weekend does not a swordman make. My bet is those with some previous martial experience will benefit more than the novice.

I've been poring over Fechtbuchs for some years now, and actually found that the guards, wards, and voids (love the voids!) lend themselves to both occiental and oriental training with weapons.

Note also that almost all of the big Fechtbuchs start with grappling and wrestling. Unarmed combat is the gateway to armed combat, and shouuld not be overlooked. What would happen if you were disarmed in a sword fight? You might need to get inside of someones guard, grapple him to the ground and get his weapon away...or run, of course, if you have that option.

I doubt that there will be much need for us to apply this tactic, as I don't know how many of use will end up in a swordfight...(but I guess ya never know), outside of AEMMA, HACA, SCA...

Keith

True, but I don't believe I have claimed that anyone is going to become a swordsman as the result of this seminar. The primary value of this class, so far as instruction goes, is to lay out the basic principles and explain how to read the manual (it uses sophisticated, but sometimes haphazard, organization). The instructor, Mr. Bob Charron, does not claim to be an expert on this subject matter. I believe he once said "I'm on the twenty year plan." Another factor that complicates this is the fact that the manual is intended to be a reference for advanced students. So students of this work must deduce basic principles from advanced applications. No easy task.

As to the self-defense applications of this teaching... again, no single weekend class is going to adequately equip you for that. Many of the basic concepts are directly applicable to contemporary self-defense, as are a few of the techniques. On the other hand, most of the techniques were designed for use in specific conditions which rarely (if ever) occur today. I can't remember the last time I saw someone walking around with a longsword on their hip (and I'm a member of the SCA).

I think the reason most people take this class is for historical interest. It is absolutely fascinating to see just how well-developed martial theory and technique were in the Middle Ages. I have discussed some of the theories and techniques with practioners of other martial arts and they are invariably surprised by this. Some people take the class to prepare for rebated-steel combat, but that's another subject entirely.

Thanks, again, for your time.

John Jordan

btw If you are interested I have the e-mail address of two folks in Speedway who have taken this class.

For those of you who might be interested in seeing the manual I suggest you click on the link below. That will take you to the Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts' (AEMMA) online library. The Flos Duellatorum (Flower of Battle) has four links. The black shield with the roses on it will take you to an online, English translation of the manual. BTW, I am *not* associated with AEMMA, but I certainly appreciate the work they are doing.

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/library_15c.htm

A word of caution: The version of the manual that is available online is the Novati version. Some medieval chap who thought he was being clever turned good prose into obscure rhyming couplets. Don't be too put off by this. The Exiles, a European group, has begun to publish a translation of the Getty version of the document (which is generally agreed to be the best of the three known versions of the manuscript). Both AEMMA and ARMA have articles which translate and, more importantly, interpret portions of the manuscript.

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
Speedway? Are they in the Barony of Sternfeld? Or non-SCA?

Keith

I'm not sure if they are doing SCA right now. I know they have gone to SCA events in the past, but they are heavily into 14th Century living history (to the point of doing equestrian work with their own horses). They flew out to Denver in September to take the class (tickets between Denver and most places in the Midwest are very inexpensive). Say the word and I'll forward your e-mail address to them.

Back