Historical Tomahawk Use and Sharpness

As I read historical accounts, expedition journals,historical fiction and non-fiction, I come across examples of tomahawk use. Sometimes in skirmishes and sometimes in camp, it seems widely carried and traded.
I was reading a book on tomahawk fighting techniques the other day and near the beginning, one of the chapters touched on carry positions for defensive and offensive use. No mentioned of a sheath. Come to think of it,never read mention of a sheath.
Now I am one who loves razor knife, axes,knives and hawks. This, though cutting more efficiently, makes sheathless carry dangerous and downright foolish. As a combat tool,preventing self injury and quick access are priorities and a duller tool would certainly solve this while sacrificing some cutting capability.
Were our frontiersman, traders, natives and trappers simply not as fussy with an mildly blunt edge? Or were they just really careful. Like really really careful? Or was the primary role a weapon that maybe you could hack some bison ribs with?
Any insight based on fact or thought welcome.

Can’t comment on the history cause I wasn’t there, but I have a couple spike hawks that I use extensively as firewood tools. I keep them sharp, and carry them blade forward in the hammer loop of my jeans. I seldom cover the blade and spike, and don’t feel particularly uncomfortable that way. Maybe it’s just familiarity, or a sense of where my hands are, or the habit of moving deliberately, but I rarely injure myself. Same with the chain saw guard - comes off in the morning, goes back on at night, saw is bare all day.

When you eat sliced peaches with a fork, are you concerned about stabbing your tongue? I think not, because you’ve been putting that tool in and near your mouth for many years.

I’m careful, but not really really careful. I respect sharp tools but don’t fear them. By using certain tools a lot, I think I’ve developed a feel for them. Many tradesmen I’ve worked with seem to have a similar experience. It’s reasonable to think a frontiersman or pioneer would, too.

YMMV.

Parker

Personally I believe they were not kept extremely sharp. Their knives probably were, but they were living in an age before anitbiotics and had plenty of experience with the fevers and infections that might result from an unintended deep cut from carrying an exposed blade.

The other possibility is they kept it tucked in the belt on the outside of a fairly tough buckskin or woolen coat where it was unlikely cause an unintended cut. Hiking with a load and possibly taking a spill with an exposed, well honed hawk bit near my midsection is nothing I would chance, no matter my clothing.

I suspect a lot of the actual combat use involved throwing it, or leading with the spike, or using the hawk as a somewhat sharpened hammer. About as sharp as a hardware store hatchet straight off the shelf would be plenty deadly but only expose you to risk of superficial cuts.

Interesting question, I've wondered about this myself.

CdhQIf8XEAAyUSf
Evidently sheaths were used by some. This is Sir Alexander Mackenzie's sheath, courtesy of the Maine Antique Digest Twitter page. There are some other references to it as well. I could swear I've seen something like this a few times in some of the old books I read as a kid about historical figures.

I believe sheaths and shoulder harnesses were fairly common for tomahawks, especially in combat. Muzzle-loaders take both hands to load, and to shoot. And if throwing your hawk was a standard tactic, it stands to reason that you'd want it as sharp as possible to aid in penetration. If it was primarily a woodworking tool, a more axe-like edge might have been preferable.

Thanks for the input fellas. I didn't think of a shoulder harness.
This would allow easy access and adjustment over and under layers.

The sharpness of a hardware store hatchet is my guess. Sharp enough to maybe do a little kindling, pelvis or skull splitting but dull enough to not easily cut yourself or your clothing. More of a wedge than a cutter.

Personally I believe they were not kept extremely sharp. Their knives probably were, but they were living in an age before anitbiotics and had plenty of experience with the fevers and infections that might result from an unintended deep cut from carrying an exposed blade.

The other possibility is they kept it tucked in the belt on the outside of a fairly tough buckskin or woolen coat where it was unlikely cause an unintended cut. Hiking with a load and possibly taking a spill with an exposed, well honed hawk bit near my midsection is nothing I would chance, no matter my clothing.

I suspect a lot of the actual combat use involved throwing it, or leading with the spike, or using the hawk as a somewhat sharpened hammer. About as sharp as a hardware store hatchet straight off the shelf would be plenty deadly but only expose you to risk of superficial cuts.

Interesting question, I've wondered about this myself.

I would think one with experience would keep it as sharp as they could, a sharp tool cuts the work more cleanly and cuts you more cleanly if you miss.
You're also more likely to cut yourself when you're struggling with a tool that's not sharp enough.

I reckon they were about as sharp as axes are today. That is to say, all over the map. Experienced users who understand the fundamental dynamics of cutting tools and weapons would have most likely kept them quite keen to the point of necessitating a protective measure of one kind or another, whether a sheath, mask, wrapping, or simply carrying it outside a heavy garment where it was very unlikely to catch any part of the body when not in use. Most, however, were probably several degrees removed from that level of sharpness, possibly to the point of relying on having someone else periodically regrind and sharpen it for them as opposed to maintaining it themselves. Certainly MORE people knew how to take care of an axe or similar implement back then, but many were still woefully poor at it.

Familiarity with the tools you carry and use goes a long way in preventing accidents.
I suspect in addition to getting more practice, they were likely much tougher overall than even above average folks today.

These are the people that braved severe weather outside, Indians, wild animals, hunted much of the food they ate, tamed horses and cattle, and pushed west hundreds or thousands of miles on horseback or even by foot, built cabins by hand from timber they harvested before chainsaws were available.

I imagine they just weren’t overly concerned about a little cut that rarely happened, compared to how beat up their hands likely were already from constant work in the elements.
They likely had other worries that took priority such as keeping their scalp, eating the next meal, or getting the work done before dark.

I regularly carry a hawk slid under my belt around the 6 o clock position when clearing land and maintaining trails, I keep it as sharp as possible and have yet to injure myself, I am consciously aware it’s there, but that’s as much concern I have about it harming me accidentally.
Now the thorns from the brambles I’m always cutting through, I wish they had a sheath on them, getting tired of getting them stuck in my hands, especially when they break off under the skin and I have to dig them out days later when they get sore or infected.

Thanks for the input fellas. I didn't think of a shoulder harness.
This would allow easy access and adjustment over and under layers.

The sharpness of a hardware store hatchet is my guess. Sharp enough to maybe do a little kindling, pelvis or skull splitting but dull enough to not easily cut yourself or your clothing. More of a wedge than a cutter.

This is how I see it, as a backup combat tool it really doesn't need to be super sharp to whack through a few layers of wool or buckskin, break a skull, collarbone or extremity, and putting a mask on it reduces the speed you could deploy. If it were me I'd have it absolutely shaving sharp with a piece of oilcloth wrapped around it - something it could cut through on solid impact but protect from incidental contact and rain.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was just me creeping through the bush with a musket/rifle, but tramping along with leather soled boots and a frame pack on wet leaves carrying who only knows how much, maybe even with a tump line - I can't get picture of slipping and that thing biting into the back of my elbow or hip. I wouldn't even want to chance the bit smacking into a rock.

I have to wonder how much actual camp use the average hawk would have seen. The historical ones all look too small to have held up to hard labor, made for speed.

I would think one with experience would keep it as sharp as they could, a sharp tool cuts the work more cleanly and cuts you more cleanly if you miss.
You're also more likely to cut yourself when you're struggling with a tool that's not sharp enough.

I agree, but with caveat it would need a cover. Carrying shaving sharp hawk w/ exposed edge for long periods of time sounds to me about similar to shoving a cocked single action handgun into your waistband. I suspect most of them did have a protective cover with maybe just the spike poking out. Interesting topic.

I am constantly having to remind myself that those of us stomping around on Bladeforums are not the average user. We are enthusiasts who enjoy squeezing the performance out of our cutting tools.

I am just fine driving around a Honda Civic or similar car. It does what I need it to do practically, reliably and inexpensively.
Yet my brother in law cannot seem to resist customizing his vehicles installing performance parts, tuning, and who all knows what.

I suppose this is the way myself and many of you are with our cutting tools. Enthusiasts focused on performance. He likely looks at me as some freak looking to get my axe as sharp as possible. I try to remind myself it is the same thing.

As Fortytwoblades said, it was likely all over the map. Some keeping them as sharp as possible but for the average user, a hair splitting edge would have been unnecessary and even foolish waste of time to maintain, especially in the field.

If it could cut an anchor stake, split a sternum and the occasional combat incident, I am guessing the edge was good enough. All three of those do not require a shaving edge.

I would expect the tool was also used for digging roots and tubers while meat was scarce. Again, super keen edge not required.

A good point made by HeavyHanded as well. Many historical examples are very light weight. Built for speed in the hand on travelling light. I suspect larger outfits would carry a few axes along for communal use.

A true multi tool. More so than a sword anyway...

I’m not sure what level of sharpness no longer cuts flesh but is useful, and I’m not sure anyone could ever figure that out. It probably relies on a number of factors, including how fast you contact the blade, what angle you hit it, and what the follow through looks like.

In this situation, I can’t imagine carrying a bare bit on my person. Add the severity of a bad cut given the state of historical medicine, and it’s even more dubious. Worse yet, a situation where you’re in a remote area.

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades brings up a great point- the times might change but people don’t. I’m sure safety measures and sharpness were all over the map. I’d guess that the historical avid tool user would likely have a maintained very sharp tool and make it safe with some type of sheathing.

My thought is they probably touched them up prior to using and they likely dulled quite easily so you ended up putting away a rather dull tool, blade cover unnecessary. I think a few here have the right idea that sharp was very relative and usable was all that was required. Most of my friends and family have never even used a knife as sharp as my EDC and don't care to, as they are afraid of anything sharper than a factory edge on an inexpensive kitchen knife. If we can judge anything by the current to give us understanding of history, the edges held by common tools would not be satisfactory to us knife people as the average kitchen knife is often very soft indeed. So perhaps sharpen to needed level based on the job at hand and once dulled a bit by use a hawk would be more safe to carry.

I keep my hiking hawk sharp enough to plow through a quick and dirty job. I don't see it as a carving tool. It's more of a hammer/workable edge to make a quick hole or take down a small sapling using mostly mass. My knife will pop hair, my hawk is for much less subtle work.

I usually carry it on a hoop I made without a covering. Now, I tend to gravitate toward a small bit hawk like the Cold Steel Trail Hawk. Nothing in the way of horns on it. No super large cutting surface. That said, I transport it with a simple leather slip over the cutting edge to keep it from banging into things in the trunk of the car. I sometimes just leave that on the edge when I carry it. The idea being that I have no reason to believe that I will ever need to draw and use my tomahawk so quickly that pulling off a friction-fit protective sleeve will hinder me.

If I were to carry a tomahawk back in the frontier/trapper days, I would think a workable sharp edge would be just fine if the primary use was as a weapon. You could cut the edge off a hawk, and still be able to brain someone pretty easily with it. I would guess that day to day, that edge would be just fine and durable. It's also no like they COULDN'T sharpen it if the situation called for it, and just honed it to a razors edge before hand.

If I were to carry a tomahawk back in the frontier/trapper days, I would think a workable sharp edge would be just fine if the primary use was as a weapon. You could cut the edge off a hawk, and still be able to brain someone pretty easily with it.

I mean, the original tomahawk was a rock at the end of a stick, and I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the rock wasn't chipped to a sharp edge or anything.

My shooting coach as a boy was a muzzle-loading mountain man. He would go about his daily routine in his buskins and bearclaw necklace, and he was the one who introduced me to throwing hawks. He would stick the hawk through his sash, and I don’t remember him using a mask on it. The hawks wasn’t terribly sharp, they had more of an axe grind to keep them durable I imagine. His knives were kept a lot sharper.

Agree with a lot of what jmartson said here.
I've carried spike tomahawks unsheathed, every single day, all day long, for years without incident—inside the waistband, 3 o’clock position. The spikes are curved downward to the point that penetrating injury is improbable, even though they are quite sharp. The worst "injury" I'd suffer from either would be tiny red prick marks on the surface of my skin. I now use a carry system, not to prevent injury to self, but to eliminate the possibility of damaging whatever I'm sitting on (I lose husband capital if I scuff up the leather couch cushions).

Historically a lot of battle axes were carried unsheathed, and there’s at least one account from the Viking sagas of a user getting killed by his own axe. These were a lot larger than historic tomahawks and "dane axe" style blades had thrusting "points"--so understandably a bigger safety issue—still, they apparently didn’t value the sheath enough to use it. Never seen a historic account of unsheathed tomahawks injuring the wearer--doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are accounts of these tomahawks being drawn and used very quickly, and based on what I've come across I think sheathless carry was more common, and I haven't seen much on tomahawk sheaths carried by First Nations. There are a few examples of bags/slings for tomahawks, but there are more historic depictions of them worn without a carry system. Also the historic tomahawk mostly replaced the role of the wooden warclub, which was carried unsheathed even if the club featured sharp spike projections.

Tomahawks were clearly weapons first--and a few appear to have very limited utility function, so getting it to "knife like" edge isn't always required depending on the user’s purpose. The heads ranged greatly in design and often they were wrought iron, without a steel edge. Some, like spontoon tomahawks, were "edgeless"--basically a flattened iron spike--but still would bury into a body in a hurry. For the "dull" axe-like designs, given how light and fast they were, these would render an opponent instantly senseless with a blow to the head.

Regarding the spike side, a lot of the spike tomahawks had designs that reduce risk of injury to the user--not saying that was the purpose of these designs--but definitely a benefit. Common to see the spikes with varying degrees of down turn--some where the point couldn't possibly be used for percussive effect, so no impalement hazard if you slipped and fell while wearing it. Also tomahawks with straight spikes were often fairly blunt tipped, even examples of chisel tips. There are examples of needle sharp tips, which would definitely be a safety issue--but based on what’s shown in collections, the blunt tips seem a lot more common. In a percussive blow or impact in the throw, a blunt or chisel tipped point bury up to the handle in soft targets just by arm motion alone. We tested prototypes like that and its truly impressive what a light and fast tomahawk can do.

So the tomahawks varied a lot based on the preference of the individual. While "dull" edges and spikes are fine on flesh and bone, it's better for utility if the axe blade is sharp enough to butcher game and do light chops for gathering kindling. A needle tipped straight spike seems unnecessary--the risks of self injury in carry and use, to me, outweigh the benefits--and historically the needle sharp straight spike tomahawks appear to be less common. A blunt or chisel tipped straight spike is good at grubbing. Both straight and curved spikes can be used to drag fallen deadwood into a hasty campfire. I've proven this using a sub-8 ounce tomahawk--sharp enough to harvest kindling to get a fire started, and strong enough to hook and drag a thigh-thick 6' piece of punky deadwood to the flames—resulted in a significantly warmer, longer lasting fire. Crude, but it was quick and effective. Y’all have a great evening and be edgy.

I am constantly having to remind myself that those of us stomping around on Bladeforums are not the average user. We are enthusiasts who enjoy squeezing the performance out of our cutting tools.

I am just fine driving around a Honda Civic or similar car. It does what I need it to do practically, reliably and inexpensively.
Yet my brother in law cannot seem to resist customizing his vehicles installing performance parts, tuning, and who all knows what.

I suppose this is the way myself and many of you are with our cutting tools. Enthusiasts focused on performance. He likely looks at me as some freak looking to get my axe as sharp as possible. I try to remind myself it is the same thing.

As Fortytwoblades said, it was likely all over the map. Some keeping them as sharp as possible but for the average user, a hair splitting edge would have been unnecessary and even foolish waste of time to maintain, especially in the field.

If it could cut an anchor stake, split a sternum and the occasional combat incident, I am guessing the edge was good enough. All three of those do not require a shaving edge.

I would expect the tool was also used for digging roots and tubers while meat was scarce. Again, super keen edge not required.

A good point made by HeavyHanded as well. Many historical examples are very light weight. Built for speed in the hand on travelling light. I suspect larger outfits would carry a few axes along for communal use.

A true multi tool. More so than a sword anyway...

The vikings carried their war axes in a belt loop but also apparently had wood sheaths that covered the blade and secured with a leather strap around the back of the head. This would protect the sharpness and the wearer while adding almost no weight. Dont have any idea if that was common with a tomahawk or not, but would seem to be a simple solution.

The vikings carried their war axes in a belt loop but also apparently had wood sheaths that covered the blade and secured with a leather strap around the back of the head. This would protect the sharpness and the wearer while adding almost no weight. Dont have any idea if that was common with a tomahawk or not, but would seem to be a simple solution.

You've been a member since 2005 and only posted twice? OP should be honored! haha

Interesting. I had read there was little evidence of sheaths on viking axes but new archeological finds may have discovered examples or depictions, so what I read may be out dated.

For folks interested in Viking axes, there's a good (but long) read here. A lot of detailed information, but this was written maybe ten years ago and I don't know if they're updating it as new archeological finds she'd more light on lost information:

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_axe.htm

14 paragraphs into it they discuss sheaths on battle axes.

Back