History of "P" Sebenzas

bart1

Gold Member
Ok, there was a nice numbered "P" on the forums, that made me think.. Nov. 1993 Small #54. I looked at 2 large "P"'s I have April, and Feb 1993 that are un numbered. Were larges and smalls each numbered in their own sequence , and the larges, which start in 1991 according to the timeline,had they run out of numbers for the larges, or were the numbers later than the plain "P"'s? IMG_9496.JPGIMG_9497.JPG

Not really my field of expertise but:
Pretty sure smalls and large each have there own set of numbers-I have seen examples of members owning both a large and small with the same #
beyond that I am uncertain
I presume you have seen this but will add for those that may not have-from the timeline
"Additional info regarding "P" Sebenzas
Unfortunately, we have no good records of Sebenza numbers – we never thought for a moment any one would be interested so many years later!! Only the Original Sebenzas were marked with P – Larges introduced in 1991 and Smalls introduced in 1993. We honestly have no record of how many Large “P” Sebenzas we made – we think we did them for about 2 and a half years. We numbered up to 121 for the Small “P” Sebenzas and I am not sure we did any marked with just “P” and no serial number. I think we stopped marking the “P” around mid 1994!..... "P" Stands for Production Sebenza, Not Prototype Sebenza ...On Behalf of CRK....Thanks Anne !"

Last edited:
Thanks, Peter, I did read that , but as the small #54 is Nov, 1993 and numbered, and my 2 larges are Feb/ Apr 1993 a full 7-9 mos earlier, were the numbered larges, of which I don't have one, earlier , say 1991-1992 or later? I was hoping since we have a Nov 1993 #54 that might be a start to see how many were being made a year . If other forumites would contribute Birthcards and numbererd and un-numbered "P" 's some generalization could be made. Bart

Thanks, Peter, I did read that , but as the small #54 is Nov, 1993 and numbered, and my 2 larges are Feb/ Apr 1993 a full 7-9 mos earlier, were the numbered larges, of which I don't have one, earlier , say 1991-1992 or later? I was hoping since we have a Nov 1993 #54 that might be a start to see how many were being made a year . If other forumites would contribute Birthcards and numbererd and un-numbered "P" 's some generalization could be made. Bart

I may not understand the ?, but numbered P's would be before non numbered-if that is what you were getting at.

"P" is early production Sebenza, 1991-1996 . See my photos... I want to see what month/year/ number, to try to see if there is a pattern. For example The small Nov 1993 is #54 That's almost the end of the first year so thats maybe 60-70 smalls first year .. give me a larger sample size!!!!If there are no numbered larges in 1993 ( mine is Feb) then the numbers were discontinued for larges 1991-1992

There is a P-272 , in the old CRK photos thread. Does anyone have a higher number? And possibly a date? If in early 1993 there are no Numbered "P' , then from 1991 to 1992 at least 272 were made so 135 a year? That's about 10 a month . I'd sure like to expand the data base! Thanks, Bart

Numbers aren’t necessarily linear either. They were still working on some numbered orders well past the date they started producing non-numbered versions.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I did not understand Ryans statement that numbers weren't linear. Would numbers have been assigned to specific orders? I assume (?) that someone had to hand number each one, and it seems that at some point in the process , numbers were assigned sequentially . Then at some point CRK decided just to use the P to differentiate production from hand made,and dropped the numbers? If someone familiar with the process could shed some light , I'd appreciate it. I think at some point in a CRK collectors book, it would be nice to have this info. Bart

Back