Recommendation? Hitting a rut

A lot of good advice here about slowing down. But slowing down a process you don't have a full understanding of can be fruitless as well. Sometimes it's ok just to seek help. This can be in the form of WIP's others have done or asking a nearby maker for a shop tour to see how they do it. Having another maker assess your technique and offer a new perspective can save you a lot of time and steel. Also, if you are burning through handle/guard material too fast start with hand files. Removing material more slowly and purposefully will give you more time to see what you're doing and see potential problems developing before they get away from you. Additionally, build or buy a disc sander when you have the funds. Variable speed if you can swing it. Disc sanders are very effective at flattening bevels and tangs, tapered or straight.

Yeah im thankful for the help ive received through here this last year or so. I think I'm gonna stop the build im on that's been giving me a hard time and just reset with a more simple design. Forget about the slotted guard and what not. Eventually i want to mainly do hidden tangs. And yes a disc grinder is definitely on my list of things to get. Thats the main reason i joined tge KITH was to see what a "real" knifemakers knife is like and to have an expierenced maker look at mine

I'm sure you read this piece of advice repeated here before, but always worth repeating: slow is fast when it comes to knifemaking. When you take your time and check your work while you're doing it, that can save a lot of headaches.

Yeah im thankful for the help ive received through here this last year or so. I think I'm gonna stop the build im on that's been giving me a hard time and just reset with a more simple design. Forget about the slotted guard and what not. Eventually i want to mainly do hidden tangs. And yes a disc grinder is definitely on my list of things to get. Thats the main reason i joined tge KITH was to see what a "real" knifemakers knife is like and to have an expierenced maker look at mine

If you are not sure about the kith, I’d be happy to do an exchange with you 1:1.

Warren

Anyways, what do yall do when you seem to hit a rut and things just dont seem to go right?

Joined a blacksmithing club and started taking ABS classes. Nothing I have bought, read or done has improved my knifemaking skills as much as the ABS classes I have taken.

-Clint

I dick up every knife I make somehow.
Pretty much this.
Heh, funnily enough through my journey of knife making, i have found that the ability to mask your mistakes rather than not make mistakes in the first place is a skill you eventually learn to acquire!:D

Back