Hmmm

Hmmm, I am quite surprised at the dirth of posts in this forum. I am into forging my own knives now and that is where my interest is but for years, I would not own any knife but a Shrade Old Timer.
I spent several years as a trapper and big game guide in Northern British Columbia and for a using knife built for someone who was using knives professionaly, Schrade was tops. And I knew lots of guys like me, an Old Timer in the pocket and an Old Timer on the belt.

ghostdog

I suspect the reason, or one of the reasons there aren't more posts on this forum is that many of the people who love Schrade knives are out using them and not playing with their computers.:)

When I was doing a lot more coon hunting and doing it to supplement my income, an Old Timer Trapper was one of my standbys. My sheath knife of choice was a Deerslayer. Anyone remember those?

A lot of knife users who are not necessarily knife nuts carry Schrade knives because they are about the most knife for the money you can buy. Although I have fancier, more fasionable knives, my Scrades still get a lot of use.

My first knife ever was a Schrade UH Trapper , had it over 15 years till it somehow got lost while dragging out a bear as darkness fell.

Then I got a Uncle Henry 124 - a perfect sized pocketknife- unfortunately I got carried away and pried with it snapping 3/8" off the end. Does Schrade have a blade replacing service?

Pentlatch near Comox

Hey Pentlatch, I am just over the mountain from you. I am in Port Alberni.

ghostdog

Answer for Pentlatch. Schrades policy for Uncle Henrys used to be guaranteed for life if lost. A slip came with the knife and you just sent it in. In effect you could always get 2 for one if you wanted to cheat. However I have found that over the years there policy towards broken knives was pretty liberal as well and for the most part used to be free ( but that must have changed in this day and age ). In any event they would fix the knife or send a new one. The problem is that I do not believe they have made a 124 model for a long time in fact I do not recognize the number. There are a couple in my mind that it could be ( given your hint with it being just the right size and the kind of use your knives must have seen considering your posting.) So if the knife is still being produced you would have no problem. I believe they still make the trapper. In any event you can get your answers to these questions by calling 845-647-7600. These people are pretty nice folks at least any I have spoken to and you might even enjoy the call while you get your information. I am sure if you included a description of the 124 I would know it immediately and not being able to place it immediately in my mind tics me off. ( a pic would be better if you have the time ). I hope this helps Rich

GhostDog- Good to know their is a knife fan nearby, say don't you make knives?

Hi Rich - I double checked the knife and it is indeed a 124 UH , it is 4" overall and the general shape is like a 125 OT [which I believe was named the Mustang ], though it has the staglon handle and a lanyard hole in the rear bolster. It has a clip blade and is not a lockback. Bought around 1986. Any bigger and it would be too big for a pocketknife . ;)

I knew that was it, yes I know the style well in fact I sold my last one so I had no reference. Except I never sell my last one unless I have a last reference. So what happened was that I kept my reference piece as a liberty commerative in that style but it was tang marked different I have one, of those, libertys in bone, pretty rare, but dammit it though it threw me off. I really did anticipate your answer, I Kept saying it is that damn 4" clasp without the liner lock. Thankyou for the info I will sleep better ( I am a bug on these pieces of history). If only I was mechanical enough to make knives. However I do lecture, write and do historical work on these items. I butcher a lot of game, was a peace officer for 26 years who was called on for my expertise with these items and before that had some experience with them for the government. Nothing like a little scroll work to leave a lasting memory for the enemy. Some make, some make do, some just do. Good to know you Rich. PS check Ebay you will find one of them sooner or later. Let me know if you want to see the liberty to confirm.

Pentlatch I have just started in the last few months to forge knives.
Knives have been a big part of my life and now I am gonna see if I can produce some better than the ones I used.

Rich it is kewl to see that someone is a Schrade expert.

ghostdog

Back