Hmong Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I was inspired by a post someone made about a knife the Hmong people use. It’s a very versatile design for sure! As a “one knife only” it has a lot going for it! The main edge can slice and chop. The forward edge can slice and pierce. If you choke up on the blade the forward section can do fine carving. I made this out of 1/4in 5160 with black canvas Micarta scales over orange G10 liners. It weighs 17oz. The overall length is 15 5/8in and the blade is 10 1/8in.
View attachment 1572017View attachment 1572018View attachment 1572019

Bill, I am Hmong and I love this design. You are correct about "one knife only" as most Hmong men in Southeast Asia (mainly Laos, Thailand, Vietnam) continue to use a single knife for everything. You'll notice most Hmong hunters carry the knife on their hip for use in building shelters, making traps, skinning and breaking down deer/pig caucuses. The same knife is then used to prep a meal which includes slicing, mincing, and other finer work. The main knife belly is used for heavy hacking while the top 1/3 is usually used for skinning and kitchen tasks. Hmong knives are front-heavy (even those that are designed with full tang). I'd love to get my hands on one of your Hmong knives.

I really like the design of this knife. Looks like an nice Allrounder! 👍 What would the Hmong have used as steel for their knives? Carbon spring steel? Does the grind change between the chopping "side" and the fine cutting side? Or is it just the thickness of the blade? Very nice clean work!

I really like the design of this knife. Looks like an nice Allrounder! 👍 What would the Hmong have used as steel for their knives? Carbon spring steel? Does the grind change between the chopping "side" and the fine cutting side? Or is it just the thickness of the blade? Very nice clean work!
Most Hmong knives are forged from second hand steel, usually any steel they can get their hands on. Spring steels are commonly used and they learned to temper the steel. Most Hmong knife makers in that region do not have the means to acquire high end steel and they understand users will abuse their knife, using it every day. You will not see a Hmong man polishing a knife for display. Hmong boys are given knife at an early age. I grew up in California but I remember by dad allowing me to use a Hmong knife early. At 7-8 years old, I made many trips down the canyon behind the house with a knife in hand to hack down 4" diameter tree trunk to make my own spin tops. By early teen, I learned to sharp knives with a water stone. There are two common profiles; 1) straight spine with the exact belly as designed by Bill, 2) a somewhat inclining spine with a clip point and a round belly. The grind is full convex but the cutting edge area commonly used for heavy work is sharpen to a larger angle while the 1/3 tip area has a much tighter grind. I bought a Lon Humphrey Deathwind several years back and re-grinded the cutting edge this way and the Deathwind have served me very well.

Back