Hobbies... what are yours?

snowboarding, love the jet ski too, off road adventures, working out, hiking, anything outside really.

all those things listed are great but i never get enough time to enjoy

Thank you sir! I work in the computer field, doing help desk work, application development, security and networking.
It gets very hectic many days and woodworking is an outlet to help relieve stress.
Woodworking is totally non technical and it's normally just me working in my shop.

Hobbies? I used to have hobbies then I discovered knife making. Now I just have an obsession.

Haha, yeah isn't that too true! My wife thinks I am cheating on her with my garage sometimes! Haven't been out there in a while, but I got my day planned for tomorrow!

-Xander

Hobbies? I used to have hobbies then I discovered knife making. Now I just have an obsession.

Same here! I only made it out one weekend or two weekends this year... I even have a weekday snowboarding pass and haven't gone. Knives!

cabs...
2010080119167860.jpg

/QUOTE]

Hey Daniel, got any of these left? How hard would it be to mount one of them on a Mrs. Fairly Fine
Leather Sheath? Man, that would really put one of your wife's sheathes over the top.

cabs...

/QUOTE]

Hey Daniel, got any of these left? How hard would it be to mount one of them on a Mrs. Fairly Fine
Leather Sheath? Man, that would really put one of your wife's sheathes over the top.

That would be really cool! Thanks... We have discussed mounting stones in leather and have a friend that does, they look great that way. We'll have to give it a try.

I have some cool stones that would work great, that was just my big stuff in that tray. Once I set up the shop I'll be able to get to my rough supply and cut just about whatever! For years I traded material I mined for slabs or other people's mined material and I literally have tons of gem grade material.

Google "Astorite" or "Desert Scene Jasper" and hit images to see some material I have mined or distributed.

Last edited:
I would like to say I had time for a hobby right now, but going back to school takes up most of my time. Hopefully when I graduate in a few months I can do some fishing and reload some ammo.

besides knife collecting which has consumed me in the last 2yrs ! hahahah
im really into car audio, cars ( most anything with a motor someone will give me the keys to haha )
bikes : bmx and the new-er freeride bikes.
music: most types if its good music its good music
jewelry ( starlingear, chris black, that kinda stuff ) and watches
reading: i love true crime books
movies: love watching and collecting them
tattoos: collecting them for a few years now hoping to be finished sooner than later, got MOST of one arm done spread across chest and on to other arm...
i like good beer and good liquor , i dont smoke but can enjoy a good one.
and i guess my pitty. dogs not really a hobby its a lifestyle hahaha shes a sweet heart pittyXmastiff, small for the breeds i think at around 70-75lbs ive seen a brother of hers and he was bigger ! i feed her a pure RAW diet so she doesnt look like a DMX dog, not even same breeds but shes a leaner more athletic look of what i think the classic pitbull might have been a 100yrs ago ? who knows shes a beautiful kind dog anyways.
and since im in canada staying warm this time of year might as well be a hobby HAHAHA
thanks daniel !

I shoot trap! I have a Perazzi MX2000 with a little over 160,000 rounds through it in nine years. Great gun!

First serious hobby growing up was music. Used to DJ at the Palladium's Mike Todd Room & wind-down sets at the Sound Factory in NYC back in the mid-late 80's and still dabble in it today.
Hand-in-hand with that came home theater and car audio. Used to compete in USCA & IASCA-sanctioned events in the NE, and had an RX-7 that won 3rd overall, and 1st in sound Q for the 200-299W class. I set up several cars and vans that placed well in unlimited SPL, mostly in the lower-powered classes. I feel that the challenge is to get the most sound out of the least power :)

All throughout college, ROTC had me in shooting competitions against other schools, and that started the affinity for firearms. Knives have always been a passion since I was young.

While living in TX, working for Dell, Compaq, & HP, I built and designed custom gaming computers. Google "ultragooey unreal" and there are some fairly old articles on there. Alienware approached me after seeing my gaming computers at Fragfest in the summer of 2000, and that fall their computers were shipping in custom colored cases with plexi windows on them. Before that, everything commercially available was beige or grey/black.
UTfrag4.jpg

Q3nice.jpg

Nowadays, high-end audio and home theater still keep me occupied, as well as firearms and blades. Not so much into the car audio scene anymore, but still have the need to go faster.
Gooey_0164.jpg

Magnum_64.jpg

thats cool to know theres some fellow bass heads here HAHAAH unlike my city now thats mostly base heads HAHAHA
my interest havnt spread too much into home theatre yet... as im sure that will BREAK the bank hahahaha
in short my hobbies are :
louder
faster
sharper ( in no order)
hahahahaha

I too am a homebrewer with a strong tendency towards brewing in the Belgian style. I've made Lambics and triples and a lot of wheat beers. Last beer I made was a light ale spiced with hibiscus flowers (aka jamaica) Red with pink foam it did not last long.

When brew day comes up I'll post up some pics.

Guitars, guitars, guitars! I counted up how many guitars I've bought and sold over the last 35+ years and it was something like 80 guitars. At my peak a few years ago, I had somewhere around 30 guitars at one time. Now, I'm down to a manageable dozen or so.

I've had Martins, Taylor's, Froggy Bottoms, Gibsons, Larrivees and a handful from small builders, the guitar building equivalent to what Daniel does with knives.

And, yes, I play a little. Everything from classic rock to blues to Celtic music. I'll post pictures of a few guitars past and present over the next few days.

Chris

Another avid sailor here.

Used to sail semi pro, trimmer later helmsman.
and then as a boat owner, mostly for fun.
After I sold my boat, for the last 10 years mainly chartering and cruising. I have been all over the mediterranean, also cruised the Cheasepeake bay, Halifax (NS) and surroundings.

6763389191_0c12c92527.jpg
[/url] DSC05977.JPG by , [/IMG]
At Anchor, in the Med.

Now that we moved to AZ. Trying to find new cruising grounds. People here go to Mexico.
San Diego might be another option I guess. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Since this is a blade forum, I should mention my sailing knives too...

Sailing on other's boats I always had a Victorinox helmsman and a Wichard Shackle key in my pocket. Both are on the same lanyard.
On my own boat, in addition to Victorinox and Wichard key, a variety of knives, however a Mora "Craftline Ropeknife" was the most used knife.
Always wanted to buy a BOYE knife (fixed Blade) never justified the cost though, are they as good as advertised ?

So what are your favorite knives on the boat. ??

Last edited:
The nice thing about Boye's knives is they will never rust. No steel in it. They really don't get really sharp due to very large carbides, and can be difficult to cut modern lines lik vectran and spectra. They do hold up very well though.

I used to carry a Meyerchin Lightknife but lost it overboard lastyear in a hectic mark rounding. So I have something special in the works to replace it. I leave it up to the maker to give any details when he is ready. I always have either my customized Kershaw skyline or my M16-13 (the good one with Aus8 steel) in my pocket though.

-Xander

I used to carry a Meyerchin Lightknife but lost it overboard lastyear in a hectic mark rounding. So I have something special in the works to replace it. I leave it up to the maker to give any details when he is ready. I always have either my customized Kershaw skyline or my M16-13 (the good one with Aus8 steel) in my pocket though.

Meyerchin is a classic, now that I am cruising I like the Victorinox Skipper. Comes with cork screw :)

Cant wait to see the custom knife you are getting made though

Matt

I carry a Spyderco delica... so far the only thing it was used for was making sandwiches on a NAVY44 and spreading creamcheese at the McGill Cup

I would like to say I had time for a hobby right now, but going back to school takes up most of my time. Hopefully when I graduate in a few months I can do some fishing and reload some ammo.

It sounds like graduation is soon, keep up the great work!

besides knife collecting which has consumed me in the last 2yrs ! hahahah
im really into car audio, cars ( most anything with a motor someone will give me the keys to haha )
bikes : bmx and the new-er freeride bikes.
music: most types if its good music its good music
jewelry ( starlingear, chris black, that kinda stuff ) and watches
reading: i love true crime books
movies: love watching and collecting them
tattoos: collecting them for a few years now hoping to be finished sooner than later, got MOST of one arm done spread across chest and on to other arm...
i like good beer and good liquor , i dont smoke but can enjoy a good one.
and i guess my pitty. dogs not really a hobby its a lifestyle hahaha shes a sweet heart pittyXmastiff, small for the breeds i think at around 70-75lbs ive seen a brother of hers and he was bigger ! i feed her a pure RAW diet so she doesnt look like a DMX dog, not even same breeds but shes a leaner more athletic look of what i think the classic pitbull might have been a 100yrs ago ? who knows shes a beautiful kind dog anyways.
and since im in canada staying warm this time of year might as well be a hobby HAHAHA
thanks daniel !

Sounds like fun and I hear you on staying warm!

I shoot trap! I have a Perazzi MX2000 with a little over 160,000 rounds through it in nine years. Great gun!

First serious hobby growing up was music. Used to DJ at the Palladium's Mike Todd Room & wind-down sets at the Sound Factory in NYC back in the mid-late 80's and still dabble in it today.
Hand-in-hand with that came home theater and car audio. Used to compete in USCA & IASCA-sanctioned events in the NE, and had an RX-7 that won 3rd overall, and 1st in sound Q for the 200-299W class. I set up several cars and vans that placed well in unlimited SPL, mostly in the lower-powered classes. I feel that the challenge is to get the most sound out of the least power :)

All throughout college, ROTC had me in shooting competitions against other schools, and that started the affinity for firearms. Knives have always been a passion since I was young.

While living in TX, working for Dell, Compaq, & HP, I built and designed custom gaming computers. Google "ultragooey unreal" and there are some fairly old articles on there. Alienware approached me after seeing my gaming computers at Fragfest in the summer of 2000, and that fall their computers were shipping in custom colored cases with plexi windows on them. Before that, everything commercially available was beige or grey/black.
UTfrag4.jpg

Q3nice.jpg

Nowadays, high-end audio and home theater still keep me occupied, as well as firearms and blades. Not so much into the car audio scene anymore, but still have the need to go faster.
Gooey_0164.jpg

Magnum_64.jpg

We have a lot in common, I have always enjoyed all of that. That reminds me I have a 40 watt Alpine amp somewhere! I enjoy good sound, have some NS10's in my living room, lol. I used to dabble in DJing and still love trance and drum and bass... all kinds of electronica.

I saw a computer like you posted with the plexiglass and thought of you, cool stuff!

thats cool to know theres some fellow bass heads here HAHAAH unlike my city now thats mostly base heads HAHAHA
my interest havnt spread too much into home theatre yet... as im sure that will BREAK the bank hahahaha
in short my hobbies are :
louder
faster
sharper ( in no order)
hahahahaha

That is awesome! I like your style...

I too am a homebrewer with a strong tendency towards brewing in the Belgian style. I've made Lambics and triples and a lot of wheat beers. Last beer I made was a light ale spiced with hibiscus flowers (aka jamaica) Red with pink foam it did not last long.

When brew day comes up I'll post up some pics.

I can't wait to see! Belgian styles are probably my favorite too, Brew Like a Monk helped me out a lot. I should dig up my Dark Strong Ale recipe, it is awesome and stores very well.

Hibiscus sounds killer!

Guitars, guitars, guitars! I counted up how many guitars I've bought and sold over the last 35+ years and it was something like 80 guitars. At my peak a few years ago, I had somewhere around 30 guitars at one time. Now, I'm down to a manageable dozen or so.

I've had Martins, Taylor's, Froggy Bottoms, Gibsons, Larrivees and a handful from small builders, the guitar building equivalent to what Daniel does with knives.

And, yes, I play a little. Everything from classic rock to blues to Celtic music. I'll post pictures of a few guitars past and present over the next few days.

Chris

Nice! I am a guitar player and collector as well! I love old cheapie guitars... Danelectro, Kay, Silvertone, lol funky stuff! When I lived in Austin,TX I used to have a lot of fun picking up old amps and guitars. I think my favorite guitars to play at the moment are my Epiphone Les Paul Special ($89) and a Squire Strat ($40!!!) I think you have much better taste that me lol!!! I do appreciate the nice guitars too, sounds like you have an awesome collection!

Another avid sailor here.

Used to sail semi pro, trimmer later helmsman.
and then as a boat owner, mostly for fun.
After I sold my boat, for the last 10 years mainly chartering and cruising. I have been all over the mediterranean, also cruised the Cheasepeake bay, Halifax (NS) and surroundings.

6763389191_0c12c92527.jpg
[/url] DSC05977.JPG by , [/IMG]
At Anchor, in the Med.

Now that we moved to AZ. Trying to find new cruising grounds. People here go to Mexico.
San Diego might be another option I guess. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Since this is a blade forum, I should mention my sailing knives too...

Sailing on other's boats I always had a Victorinox helmsman and a Wichard Shackle key in my pocket. Both are on the same lanyard.
On my own boat, in addition to Victorinox and Wichard key, a variety of knives, however a Mora "Craftline Ropeknife" was the most used knife.
Always wanted to buy a BOYE knife (fixed Blade) never justified the cost though, are they as good as advertised ?

So what are your favorite knives on the boat. ??

Sounds like some great sailing!

I used my Victorinox a lot when I was sailing but now I'd carry a fixed blade along the lines of a Myerchin for sure... my own style though.

I have read a bit about the Boye Dendritic Steel and it sounds like good stuff if you want a toothy blade and no rust. I am also a big fan of his style, especially his fixed blades. His folders look great as well.

I'm thinking on a boat three knives would be nice, a Carbidized Ti knife designed to always be carried in case of an emergency, a Fixed Blade for most tasks and a SAK or Leatherman for random stuff.

I have been working on the Fixed Blade one by the way, look out! I have big plans for it.

The nice thing about Boye's knives is they will never rust. No steel in it. They really don't get really sharp due to very large carbides, and can be difficult to cut modern lines lik vectran and spectra. They do hold up very well though.

-Xander

Something special for sure! At least that's what I hear... :D

Meyerchin is a classic, now that I am cruising I like the Victorinox Skipper. Comes with cork screw :)

Cant wait to see the custom knife you are getting made though

Matt

Back