Hold Out 1 CTS XHP DLC or not?

Hi folks, I just took delivery of 2 late model Hold Out 1's in CTS XHP steel. One of them is the black and uncoated satin finished blade and the other is a limited edition Coyote scaled unit with what I think is black DLC coated blade. The black coating is a matte dull finish on the Limited edition Hold Out 1 but all of my other CS folders with DLC coatings have a glossy black finish. Does CS now offer a matte DLC or is this coating the previous teflon "temporary" coating? I find it hard to believe that with the success of the DLC coating that they have gone back to the dissapointing Teflon coating of previous years. By the way, I swapped the blades and other peripheral hardware between the two models and now have a blackout Hold Out 1 and a Coyote scaled model with stainless CTS XHP blade and hardware. I did not think that I would have liked the stainless Coyote version as much as I do, but it turned out to be quite stunning. Thanks for any info on the matte/dull finish DLC. :confused:

I doubt they re going back to the Teflon blade coating with the new steel upgrades but I could be wrong.

I doubt that it's the old teflon coating, plus the old coating is never matte finished anyway. I bet they probably just changed the surface finish of the blade, probably to bead blasted. DLC is a very thin coating so it takes on the surface finish of the metal beneath it.
But we'll never know unless we see some pictures.

Sorry about the lack of pictures,
Knifeworks carries them, for now. I will need to shoot the two blades and wrestle with the proces of getting them on forum this weekend.
Thanks,
Alan

I'm not 100% sure of the finish underneath, but it wouldn't be high-satin polished if it is going to be DLC coated also

It's a matte DLC, has a much darker tone than my broken skull's or my CS Rawles Voyager's DLC. My Rajah II in blackout version, AK47 and Recon 1 XL seem brighter than the H.O.I but darker than the others.

20160225_170821_zpsg4rftzmv.jpg

Could be the light, though.

20160225_170611_zpsnj8xagab.jpg

I find it attractive, and as said is extremely wear resistant and tough.

20160212_160625_zpsxaemgx5i.jpg

Hard to strip. Awesome looks. I love you can swap blades without any problem, as I've seen from threads in this forum and ColdSteelforums. I never tried it, but some swappings I've seen really look impressive and cool.

20160211_162938_zpso4s1wjog.jpg

20160211_162747_zpsvieb9rfp.jpg

Would love some pis of your changed Hold Outs, really!

Thanks

Back