Hollow grind with files?

I’ve been reading about straight razor filing by hand but have haven’t seen anything about hand filing the hollow grind.
Also if you haven’t id like to hear you razor veterans chime in to any idea you might have to successfully achieve it. Thank you!cheers

You are talking about making your own? My understanding is that the hollow is always done with a wheel or belt, even going way back to the beginning.

There’s a jig for straight blade knives that I use . Was looking for maybe a modification of that concept if there is one . But there is a straight blade razor as well with the hollowing .

I won't say it isn't possible, but to the best of my knowledge, any hollow grinding needs to be done with a wheel. The shape of the hollow is defined by the size of the wheel used. Since low speed is not a problem, wheels can be made from a lot of materials that you might not think of, like MDF, and and abrasive applied. I've read that back at the height of straight razor production, the grind wheels (which could be a couple feet in diameter) were often made of wood planking, with the grinding surface being a layer of lead with the abrasive embedded in that. Talk about dangerous for the workman!

Unfortunately there are not many here who make razors specifically, and I'm not sure how active any of the straight razor forums are anymore, you might have to search archives rather than ask for help with the razor. There is a quite a difference between razors and knives, so very few people work with both.

Lead ontop of wood planking that does sound unhealthy. That makes sense . I will continue to read and feed. Until I come up with something. Thank you!

the straight w/o hollow grind is called a wedge, hollow grind is with a small wheel on a belt grinder in todays world. with a file its just not happening.

The blank could easily be shaped with a file before hardening. After hardening of course, that ain't happening. For the hollow grind it would definitely be much more sensible to use a wheel.

I'm a straight razor virgin and no next to nothing other than what I've seen here and social media..this is going to sound crazy,but I have purchased 6 in the past week...all well know brands...filarmonica ..dorko...dovo...boker..Henkel...and some odd ball friedr something...the irony is ...that I'm literally scared shirtless to use one....actually I did attempt shaving one side of my cheek and nicked myself...any suggestions....is it trial and error till I slit my throat...

I'm a straight razor virgin and no next to nothing other than what I've seen here and social media..this is going to sound crazy,but I have purchased 6 in the past week...all well know brands...filarmonica ..dorko...dovo...boker..Henkel...and some odd ball friedr something...the irony is ...that I'm literally scared shirtless to use one....actually I did attempt shaving one side of my cheek and nicked myself...any suggestions....is it trial and error till I slit my throat...
Welcome. There are plenty of good youtube vids (mantic59 is a good teacher for the basics even though his are mostly DE, he has a few straight vids) that will help you get started. One common early mistake is to try to shave with a blade that isn't sharp enough, and not do enough prep. Were your razors bought as "shave ready"? Its a long slow curve, so don't toss your old system. And keep working, because you've got a few more accessories to buy if all you have is razors.
In future, its always better to start your own thread when you are looking for specific answers rather than getting lost in someone else's that is not really related.

joe, all about angle, and yes there is a learning curve. many years ago barbers practiced on a rubber balloon. now the rubber is too thin. so here goes. angle the razor about 1/8 at the spine away from skin learn the down stroke first. always pull the razor sstraight and slowly no heel to toe or toe to heel motion just up and down. I use both hands some use one. best if you are right handed learn it first. you can shave using only one hand. use just enough pressure to cut the hair and if it is properly honed that's not much at all. I learned over 40 yrs ago and I wouldn't swap my worst straight for any other type razor. yes you will suffer a few nicks and cuts till you get it. as my old barber used to say, you either pony up and be a man or go with a beard and become a mountain man. don't be nervous and afraid of it, if you are then it aint your cup of tea. no person or video is gonna get you there watching is fine but the teacher isn't putting the razor to your skin

There aren't files big enough to get a good hollow grind. If you want to make one yourself buy a bench grinder. You can get a okay one quite cheaply new.

Back