1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Hollow handle survival knife

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by The Shatz, Apr 12, 2019.

1. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    looking for a suggestion on who's making nice hollow handle survival knifes? I know ed Martins son used to make great ones but really haven't seen anybody but Randall making them lately? Any help would be appreciated

2. The Shatz

Oct 1, 2017
    Not quite what I'm thinking something more inline with the Randall model 18

3. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Vaughn Neeley....I have a couple. :cool:

Here are a couple that are long sold out by Allen Elishewitz, one being a collaboration with Shane Siebert.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. The Shatz

Oct 1, 2017
    That's what I'm looking for very nice!!

5. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Newt Martin made some of the nicest hollow handle survival knives, unfortunately the knife world lost him and they are difficult to find.

Other options to consider is the older Chris Reeve fixed blades (single billet) hollow handled knives, or Wilson Custom knives.

6. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Was gonna say Chris Reeve. Are CRK integral hollow handles still being made?

7. The Shatz

Oct 1, 2017
    Agreed navy man I'd love to find one at a affordable price. A Martin popped up for sale yesterday but Its really pricey!!!

navman likes this.
  8. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I did this one. I'm planning to make one more from Damascus, but that will likely be it. No one wants to pay for what they cost to make. This was milled from a 15lb block, into ~24oz and took 16 hours in the machining center (running conservative feeds and speeds.)

This worked as a proof of concept and my machining set up, but wasn't absurdly wasteful enough to scratch that itch so on to Turkish twist. :D

[​IMG]

DavidZ, BenR.T., WValtakis and 5 others like this.
  9. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Nice job on that....I know Edmund Davidson feels the same way. ;)

kuraki likes this.
  10. garyc01

garyc01 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 9, 2016
    I have some coming out for Blade Show and of course will have some for sale before also. I knew Newt and he taught me how to make them and provided me with tons of information to advance my learning curve. That was the type of guy that he was to pass on knowledge freely to others. Here is a picture of the first one made. Haven’t sharpened yet until I finish the sheath this weekend.

11. garyc01

garyc01 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 9, 2016
    I have some coming out for Blade Show and of course will have some for sale before also. I knew Newt and he taught me how to make them and provided me with tons of information to advance my learning curve. That was the type of guy that he was to pass on knowledge freely to others. Here is a picture of the first one made. Haven’t sharpened yet until I finish the sheath this weekend.
    1507C546-EC1D-47D4-8686-D0BAFCBF9D80.jpeg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    kuraki, At1Rest, seanj and 1 other person like this.
  12. The Shatz

Oct 1, 2017
    Very well done what did you use for blade steel?

13. garyc01

Aug 9, 2016
    These are CPM154 with cryo treatment. First 5 approximately.190 thickness and the next 5 are going to be approximately.250.

14. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator

Apr 18, 2011
    Mark Knapp makes a cool variation on one with a 1911 grip handle. I'd love one of those someday!