Holy cow!!!

ElCuchillo

BANNED
Ok, so I'm at work today, and was on the train (after the bite, all I can do is drive our train around til I heal), and there were no guests at the station for a while. So, feeling a bit bored, I picked up a stick, and proceeded to whittle. Well, not whittle really. I was just kind've taking the bark off, you know? I took out my SAK Recruit, and WOW!!!!! This little guy took that bark off like nobody's business!!! I've played around with my Peanut, Leatherman Blast, soddie jr., all the knives I rotate for EDC, on different sticks over the past few months, and the SAK just ate it up. I was even cutting INTO the wood without really trying. SAKs take SUCH a keen edge. Better then my SS peanut, better then my CV soddie...... just friggin awesome. I switch around my pocketknives because I can't seem to settle on just one, but after today's performance, this one might just take center stage. I've always heard about what great, pure cutters SAKs are, but this really left an impression on me. I've always been more of a utilitarian user then an aesthetics collector, but have always leaned more towards traditional pocketknives. This SAK might just change that. My Recruit rules!!!

I wish some of the other comanies like Case, Queen, Boker, and others would take a lesson from the Q.A. at Victorinox. Per knife, they seem to always have the best fit and finish, delivered sharpness out of the box, and a warrentee that blows everyone exept Buck away. They manage to make a 99% perfect knife, ship them across the ocean, pay import/customs fees, and still deliver a quality knife for 20 dollars or less in the case of the recruit.

I have to admit as much as I love my soddie, it won't open a cold one like a sak.:thumbup:

Chris Lubkemann, author of "Whittling Twigs and Branches" and "The Little Book of Whittling" uses a SAK for most of his whittling which is quite impressive. If you haven't seen the books they are a worthwhile addition to your library.

That little Recruit only costs about $12 around here...and I still carry mine sometimes. It is very pocketable.

I generally carry the Soldier, because it is STURDY!

I've always been more of a utilitarian user then an aesthetics collector, but have always leaned more towards traditional pocketknives.

With a little effort you can have aesthetics and utility in one modern yet traditional package.

bloodwoodsak1.JPG

It's a Victorinox Spartan with bloodwood scales. This is my first SAK mod. I finished it a few days ago and it is my new EDC. The knife was pre-owned and bought from sosak for $5. Bloodwood scales were bought from sosak for $8.

There's nothing like a very fine, thin edge to whittle with. SAKs usually come with a good one, better than most. I had a similar wow moment years ago when I started whittling with a Kissing Crane stockman that I had just started carrying. It had a thinner edge than my other knives, and I was really impressed with how it zipped through the sticks I was working on.

I've used my battered Swiss Champ for several walking sticks, including one that has a little more figure to it and has been the Iron Wolf staff for several years now. I'd tried other knives, but that trusty SAK just worked the best for me. I also managed to slice a thumb working on that IW staff so naturally, I just rubbed a bit more of me into it. I guess you could say I really put some myself into it.

I had to sharpen the SAK maybe a little more often than say a CV blade under that kind of use, but it was just a few strokes and back to work. Even so, I got plenty of cutting time between sharpenings.

I would usually use my tomahawk, held at the head or choked up tight, to strip and rough out a stick, then go after it with the SAK. Both worked beautifully and in harmony.

Hey! Just make sure those are sticks you are picking up and not something squirmy with teeth! ;)

I've used my battered Swiss Champ for several walking sticks, including one that has a little more figure to it and has been the Iron Wolf staff for several years now. I'd tried other knives, but that trusty SAK just worked the best for me. I also managed to slice a thumb working on that IW staff so naturally, I just rubbed a bit more of me into it. I guess you could say I really put some myself into it.

I had to sharpen the SAK maybe a little more often than say a CV blade under that kind of use, but it was just a few strokes and back to work. Even so, I got plenty of cutting time between sharpenings.

I would usually use my tomahawk, held at the head or choked up tight, to strip and rough out a stick, then go after it with the SAK. Both worked beautifully and in harmony.

Hey! Just make sure those are sticks you are picking up and not something squirmy with teeth! ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been carrying the Vic Cadet, the alox version of the recruit, and think it is one of the most useful and comfortable carrying knives I’ve ever had. I’ve been very impressed with how sharp it gets, and how well it cuts.

I can't help but to concur with all of the voices here:
You cannot go wrong with a SAK!!!
And from the success of Victorinox and Wenger and all of the rip-offs, it seems to me a large part of the world agrees with that too.

/ Karl

Back