Holy Grails Batman!

jideta

Gold Member
or more like holy sh!t!

So my knife journey this year has been interesting, mainly because of the C19 I've a lot of time to obsess over it. Like seriously get all OCD about it.
Needless to say, my accumulation has increased many fold, and I've been able to, thanks to our government, uh, step up my game.
Step way up.
Up, up, up.

DSC_3366.jpg

Into crazyland.
A land where I thought I would never find myself, but here I am.
First the why.
I don't know.
Peer pressure?
Keeping up with the jones'?
Small genitals?
Not sure. I think maybe just a quest to see what it's like in the upper atmosphere.

DSC_3367.jpg

DSC_3368.jpg

I took the plunge.
I think I'm at the point where I'm just about done dreaming and it's time to just rock and roll.
Now that I've rocked and rolled I'll be eating happy meals for the foreseeable future.
If you know what I mean.
A couple of things had come into alignment.
First I needed a boost.
I really don't like multi-grind blades and GTC is kinda known for that but this discontinued Stampede is a sort of simple flat grind. Sort of I say because the blade has three different textures on it. More in my review for those interested.
This puppy has the hidden flipper.
I'm more Bauhaus than Arts and Crafts but really Art Deco and the scales just sold me.
It's a little smaller than I like, but again, them scales!
Here it is again next to the Most Expensive Endura Ever (MEEE):

DSC_3369.jpg

Was it worth it?
I'm still kinda in shock.
Shocked, but happy.
Which I suppose is the main thing.

So, show some of your grails and the story of how and why.
BTW, I call this a grail but you know it ain't over.

mine is much lower in overall cost & exclusivity... but I really just can't see a need to upgrade it, I've had it for 2+ years now
sorry for linking to spydy's own pic of it, but my camera skills don't do the gb2 justice ;)
C134CFP2_Both.png

That's a nice one, whatever it is!
I've always wanted a titanium Lionsteel SR1 or SR11. Logic tells me only an idiot would get one, since the aluminium versions are lighter, cheaper, and usually better (inexplicably, the Ti SR11s all seem to need disassembly before becoming the magisterial flippers they were born to be.)
So I have accumulated an SR1, SR2, SR11 and SR22, all in aluminium, and all gorgeous (at least, I think) ... yet part of me still yearns to acquire one of these beauties in Ti.
So I guess that would be my grail knife.

AcRm4Vg.jpg

"Hey Beavis! You could sell all this cr*p and get a Bronze Titanium SR11!"
"But that would, like, weigh a ton."
"Yeah. Hehe! Hehe!"

gb2 = gayle bradley 2 ... it uses cpm-m4 steel, and spyderco has a perfect hollow grind to it

going back to the op, the knife spine grind is a bit visually disturbing to me... I just can't understand why it goes to full spine thickness again near the point
it looks like they stopped and forgot to finish the job ;)

outside of that one point, it's quite a grail

Those GTC's are like, whoa baby!!!!! Congrats on going for it. I have to know, will it ever cut?

going back to the op, the knife spine grind is a bit visually disturbing to me... I just can't understand why it goes to full spine thickness again near the point
it looks like they stopped and forgot to finish the job ;)l

That's actually one of Cecchini's less dramatic designs.

Those GTC's are like, whoa baby!!!!! Congrats on going for it. I have to know, will it ever cut?
Well, I didn't get it to put it on a shelf.
I usually now carry one straight and one serrated; the serrated gets the cutting jobs while the straight usually cuts up my lunch.

That's actually one of Cecchini's less dramatic designs.

You ain't kidding.
I really really wanted to like the Airborne, but I just can't. That multi-grind business...I may however indulge in a Supersonic with that fake multi-grind.
Spine work doesn't bother me.

mine is much lower in overall cost & exclusivity... but I really just can't see a need to upgrade it, I've had it for 2+ years now
sorry for linking to spydy's own pic of it, but my camera skills don't do the gb2 justice ;)
C134CFP2_Both.png

That's pretty much what it's all about no? Once you get something and don't feel the need for anything else...

That's a nice one, whatever it is!
I've always wanted a titanium Lionsteel SR1 or SR11. Logic tells me only an idiot would get one, since the aluminium versions are lighter, cheaper, and usually better (inexplicably, the Ti SR11s all seem to need disassembly before becoming the magisterial flippers they were born to be.)
So I have accumulated an SR1, SR2, SR11 and SR22, all in aluminium, and all gorgeous (at least, I think) ... yet part of me still yearns to acquire one of these beauties in Ti.
So I guess that would be my grail knife.

AcRm4Vg.jpg

"Hey Beavis! You could sell all this cr*p and get a Bronze Titanium SR11!"
"But that would, like, weigh a ton."
"Yeah. Hehe! Hehe!"

I'm beginning to think Ti is overrated.
My Endura up there has Ti scales and they are heavy compared to aluminum.
I think they are harder and less prone to scratches (barely!) but if I didn't do the engraving I wouldn't have changed them out.
I got a Lionsteel PM4 coming in!

Ti really is much stronger than Al... so there is that... but my normal 'cheap' edc is a kershaw leek which uses Aluminum, it's just tiny compared to the gb2

I got a couple hinderers, so I reached that milestone and I'm super happy with them! As good as I thought they would be and more! Also, my dlc m4/jade g10 shaman. The GB2 is also grail worthy...

kUKt4yQ.jpg

6MPocY2.jpg

AMmId5U.jpg

Congrats!! Gus' knives are impeccable. I always lusted after his .50 caliber model, just couldn't afford the scratch!! Or the.itch!!!

This giant Sawby toothpick is definitely my grail, I was fortunate enough to swoop it from the exchange on the commute home one day due to a timely alert from a forum friend:D

20210104_175142.jpg

LhcrLNf.jpg

This, for me. Anything more expensive and I wouldn't want to use it. And to me, that defeats the purpose.

No grails for me, I just know what I like. These two are recent ones that get a lot of attention. Saw them, liked them, bought them. Simple as that. No story needed, it’s still being told as I carry the knives.

XkMcONo.jpg

Back