Home brewed forge lining

There are quite a few recipes for home made refractory lining for forges. While I wait for all the parts to get here for my bigger unit, I thought I might make a cement lined coffee can forge. I have 6 pounds of refractory cement, the stuff that comes pre-mixed in a bucket, and that one can use for temper lines. I was wondering whether I can mix this with vermiculite, and presumable a touch of water to create a lining for my forge, 1 part cement to 4 parts vermiculite is one recipe, but I am not sure it was this kind of cement, I think it was something in powder form? Any ideas?

Would imagine the stuff you have for the temper line is more of a clay than a cement? Not a pro but did make my own that turned out great. I would mix 1 part cement, 1 part your "clay", 2 parts sand, 2-3 parts vermiculite. Mix all the dry parts, incorporate your clay, then add little amounts of water till it just clumps together. Make a dry mix to where it only compacts under pressure and make sure it is completely dry before firing the forge! Good luck!
forge1.jpg

Sorry Protactical, I just can't type! I changed it, it is 2 parts sand not another 2 parts cement. I really guessamated it...I had a pile of sand left over from putting my pool in, a 3/4 way full big bag of potters clay, a big trash can full of vermiculite (for annealing), and a few half bags of cement. Just kept adding here and there till it looked right, could change the amounts and probably would not see any difference. May be easier for you to save your pre-mix insulator stuff and just get a bag of fireclay...don't even know for sure if it is necessary, figured it would not hurt and a good way to get it out of my garage!

A recipe that was given to me by a ceramics profesor is 1 part portland cement, 2 parts fire clay, 2 parts grog, 1 or 2 parts vermiculite. Grog is just pieces of clay that have been fired, like ground up pots. He also said the the grog could be replaced with more vermiculite. This should take welding temps.

WS

Back