Home built wooden framed 2 x 72 belt grinder

Just finished this a few days ago and thought some might find it interesting...

homespun%20belt%20grinder-001.jpg

The salvaged treadmill motor was cheap and is variable speed - and really quiet.

homespun%20belt%20grinder.jpg

homespun%20belt%20grinder-002.jpg

Yes that is pretty thick stock for such a small knife, but it's all that Aldo had in 1084 at the time - it's almost finished now except for hand polishing and despite being a little heavy it looks pretty good.

I have about $200 and 10 hours in it - not counting the stuff I had on hand. I'm sure it isn't nearly as good as a KMG or similar store bought machine, and it won't be as efficient or last as long as one of those. And no doubt I will soon be replacing the plywood platen. And the vented motor is gonna suck steel dust... Etc...

But it works. And it works so much better than what I was using before that it changes everything. I made a blank from bar to ready to heat treat in about 1 1/2 hours this afternoon - which may be slow to you but it's flying to me.

If anyone is interested I got the plans (which saved a large amt of time) from www.ibuildit.ca

Impressive.
I have a treadmill motor I'd love to turn into a grinder, mainly because I want to hog metal at 'fat burn' speeds.

1. Looks very nice.
2. Hope you have a fire extinguisher handy.

I do of course, but after using it for several days I don't see this machine as being any more of a fire risk than any other shop equipment. If you mean because of the platen - it polished smooth as glass right away, and really doesn't get hot. I plan to make a new one with a steel surface because I'm sure the wood will wear really fast - but for now it works fine. All other wear surfaces are sealed bearings just like any other grinder.

I was thinking more of grinding sparks or steel getting into the wood. It is a great looking grinder though!

That's a fantastic machine! Why not just get a pyroceramic platen and just glue to the wood, instead of replacing with steel?

I didn't know what that was until I googled it just now - and I'm thinking that's what I'll do. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is pretty awesome, not so much because it's a great grinder, but because it is a very cheap way to enter into powered grinding. Much better I am sure than a 1 by ...anything cheapo grinder.
It does seem to me to be a fire waiting to happen. My advice would be to make enough knives to get a proper 2 by 72.
Keep the spark paths wet, and coat them with a layer of metal with no wood available to a spark. ....and I'd still be very concerned about fire. Don't go to bed after grinding on that thing.
Your knives look to be of such quality that it won't take you long to get a proper grinder. :)
Well done on your workmanship David.

Back