Home Cook Cookware, Utensils, Machines, etc.

On another note, a while back I bought a variety pack of little restaurant storage containers. There's brands like DuraHome, Reditainer, etc.

Like these (promo pic):
UsAfZyt.jpg

I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say these things were life changers. :)

Same lid for all the sizes (8, 16, 32oz) and fully stackable. Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe. I tossed a ton of plastic storage stuff in the garbage after getting these. A ton. No more mismatched lids, piles of stuff that sorta stacks and looks so alike but is off just enough that nothing fits right, etc.

I kept some of my quality rectangular pieces for when these don't quite fit for certain leftovers but these do the bulk of the work any more.

I wish I would've bought these years ago.
They would be a useful assortment of containers. I mostly save the ones I get from restaurants, wash and re-use.

I'm looking for a covered roast pan to bake mostly roasts or chicken breasts in the oven. Any suggestions? I am looking for something that will fit about a 3-4 lb roast. Any more than that it goes to waste.

I do not want a croc pot.

I'm looking for a covered roast pan to bake mostly roasts or chicken breasts in the oven. Any suggestions? I am looking for something that will fit about a 3-4 lb roast. Any more than that it goes to waste.

I do not want a croc pot.

These days foil subs in as most of my "lids".

I also don't usually cover my roasts and chicken. But a Dutch Oven might be what you're after.

A small oval Le Creuset braiser comes to mind. They’re very useful and go from oven to table.

A small oval Le Creuset braiser comes to mind. They’re very useful and go from oven to table.
That would work but I would hope I can find something below $250..... Le Creuset stuff is expensive. A Lodge Dutch Oven would work but I was hoping for something lighter....

I ordered something that I think will work just fine for under $50.

Last edited:
That would work but I would hope I can find something below $250..... Le Creuset stuff is expensive. A Lodge Dutch Oven would work but I was hoping for something lighter....

I ordered something that I think will work just fine for under $50.
Big river site has their basic enameled cast iron Dutch oven for under $50 and it works great. It is fairly heavy, though.

Honestly, having used the enameled cast iron Dutch oven for a bit I think the next piece of cookware will be an enamelware skillet. Apart from weight it really seems to offer the best mix of positives for me (heats and cooks like cast iron, dishwasher safe, nonstick but still able to collect fond, no danger of rust, doesn't need seasoning). If anyone has any negatives about enameled skillets I'd love to hear them, as I think that's the way I'll go.

We have a couple enameled skillets. They gradually get grease and other stains that you can't get off the skillet with washing. I think the heat sets the stuff in the enamel. As far as my purchase, I have looked off and on for something. I found a stainless steel oval shaped (with lid) that will work. My only concern is that it may be a bit larger than I am expecting. I don't want something large enough to do a turkey. I have that already. This is for everyday type cooking and eating. We don't usually sit the oven ware on the dining table. It is usually kind of help yourself and sit you ass down..... :D

If it it too big or really cheap/flimsy, I will be back looking again. I am going to take another look by the way on your suggestion above. Having two is not a problem.

If you want a chuckle.... I have been using those cheap blue or black enamel ware oven pans with lids (the old timey look). The small one used to run like $12. I don't think that's the case any more. But they always worked just fine. For how long you ask??? Probably 40 years and probably 40 years with the same pans.

Last edited:
If it works, it's fine. Really an oven has more even heat than a stove, so you can get away with thinner metals.
Now if you stick the pan on a burner to make a pan sauce, then I'd be looking for heavy gauge metal.

Honestly, having used the enameled cast iron Dutch oven for a bit I think the next piece of cookware will be an enamelware skillet. Apart from weight it really seems to offer the best mix of positives for me (heats and cooks like cast iron, dishwasher safe, nonstick but still able to collect fond, no danger of rust, doesn't need seasoning). If anyone has any negatives about enameled skillets I'd love to hear them, as I think that's the way I'll go.

I don't have experience with those but I really think that if a person has one or two quality non-stick (type of your choice) pans and one or two quality clad stainless pans they are more or less good to go. Yeah, having different sizes and materials and such can be handy but a 10" and one or two 12" pans can do a ton of work.

Stainless is actually really good with heat consistency and retention and I find it pretty easy to clean up. Maybe a little deglazing but mostly just some soap and water. Once in a great while I need a touch of Bar Keeper's Friend.

You do have to be careful if you use a thinner material pan to say make gravy on the stove top after using it to do it's job in the oven. The even heat is the key relative to the durability of thinner materials for use in an oven. I never really latched onto using aluminum foil commonly for oven dishes. It is only used if no other option is available generally.

I am not a big cook and cooking is not a hobby. I have generally fairly nice stuff. The oven ware is probably the least expensive overall. Our making of beef dishes has been severely limited after I developed a red meat allergy (from ticks). Contrary to what the doctors directed at the time, I did some careful experimentation and found that oven made beef roasts generally did not cause an allergy reaction unless I gorged. I have always believed it was beef fat that caused the problem. Burgers are out.... have not eaten one in years now. I think it has been 7 years now since I developed the allergy and you sort of grow into a new way of doing things and what foods are prepared typically.

For what it's worth, this is the most used pot of all for dozens of cooks in my kitchens for over 30 years. With a lid it's probably the most versatile pot I've had.

BZbdDG6l.jpg

Pictured above is an All-Clad 3qt D3 Saucier. Many other manufacturers make similar pans.

For what it's worth, this is the most used pot of all for dozens of cooks in my kitchens for over 30 years. With a lid it's probably the most versatile pot I've had.

BZbdDG6l.jpg

Pictured above is an All-Clad 3qt D3 Saucier. Many other manufacturers make similar pans.

I've only had my saucier a couple days and I've used it every night. :) Mac-n-Cheese, deep fried some potatoes and tonight I'll use it to make bechamel for Croque Madames. :p

Those Made In look really good. If I didn’t have 26 pieces of All-Clad at home I’d grab a few. I still may.

All-Clad had a very aggressive PR campaign in the 90s. They put pieces in every top kitchen in the country gratis. I gave them a couple of recipes for hang tags. In return they stocked my kitchen battery. It was a very good deal.

Those Made In look really good. If I didn’t have 26 pieces of All-Clad at home I’d grab a few. I still may.

All-Clad had a very aggressive PR campaign in the 90s. They put pieces in every top kitchen in the country gratis. I gave them a couple of recipes for hang tags. In return they stocked my kitchen battery. It was a very good deal.

26 pieces of All-Clad? That's like my 401k! :D

Ya know, you just make me very intrigued when you say All-Clad used your recipes for tags! I mean, 30yr chefs aren't uncommon but damn few can say that. :)

My friend/co-worker likes to cook and is firmly in the buy-once-cry-once camp. We talk a lot about knives and cooking. He's a career bachelor and I guess a few years ago he bought an All-Clad 9pc set. He said he has one 10" Teflon pan for eggs and that's it. Everything else gets done on the All-Clad. He checked out the Made In saucier and loved it. He doesn't have that style pan but I suspect he will soon.

I also like their business model and just general approach.

Back