Homespun Sheath and Carbon blade question

Hey folks.

Last night I made a sheath/pouch for a little carbon steel skinner I made.

I have not had this happen in the past even with making sheaths for my carbon Moras.

While wet forming the sheath to the knife , approx 15 minutes , the knife had a light coat of rust on it , no big I thought so I polsihed it off and let the sheath dry overnight , nice and dry this morning.

While my girl was making breakfast I sanded the edges to make them even with the knife in the sheath , this took maybe ten minutes and once more the blade had a light coat of rust on it , I am sure the little sheath had dried completely since it wasnt that wet in the first place.

Any ideas as to why this happened ? and what I can do to prevent it ?

As I said I have made sheath for my Moras and other high carbon blades , I even keep my Moras stored in thier sheaths and they never rust ( I check them periodically )

I did buy the leather yesterday, if that means anything.

Thanks in advance ! :D:cool::)

Tostig

treat your sheath to a hot bath of beeswax, let it soak for a minute, remove and fling off the excess from inside the sheath. Wipe the outside of the sheath down. Some wax will remain on the outside, its easy to remove with a rag if you leave the sheath on the dashboard on a hot day.

the wax makes the sheath impermeable to water, and hence rust from moisture that soaks into bare leather

Back