Honest opinions please

This knife is something I have been working on this morning. I am not sure if I like the overall look of it or not, so I would like some opinions. I have not actually attached the scales yet, because I am not sure if they go with the rought finish on the blade. Blade is s30v, scales are cocobola. Should I finish this thing up, or start over?

Attachments

• cocobola.JPG
    cocobola.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 564
Ilike the rough hewn look of it. Aesthetically VERY pleasing.
The pins are flush or otherwise not a hand botherer?
flat grind?
I think it looks like a blade made for slicing. Will the rough area of the blade be a haven for food or bacteria?
It's amazing how often I use all my knives for food prep at one time or other.
Nice look on the scales. I think they complement the roughness.
Thanks for sharing.
Tom

very nice lines and shape to knife. i've never seen a knife w/ that rough/smooth combo before....that cocobolo wood is not as pretty as most cocobolo i've seen on knives.....overall i like the knife, but not the wood so much

Thanks for the comments guys, I guess I should have explained the picture a little better. The scales are not finished or polished in anyway. That is probably why the wood doesnt look very nice. The pins are just slid through the handle, the handle has not been epoxied in place yet. I just wanted some feedback on the texture on the blade, and whether or not anybody else liked it. The handle will be polished up, and the pins will be sanded flush when the knife is finished.
Kyle Fuglesten

You've come this far, you might as well finish it up. You've done the major work on the knife already and you really can't tell what the overall affect will be. Maybe the texture will enhance the overall look, maybe it will detract from the fine grind lines and the polished wood. When you get it done take a nice tight shot of it and post a follow up. I'd really like to see the finished piece.

I think that's a great look. Finish it up and post another picture!

Love the shape and grind of the blade. The handle colour looks odd, I know its not finished but there is something not quite 'Jake' about it.

I think a lighter colour would be better, what kind of wood do the Scandi knives have? Isn't is a bit more yellow?

Finish that puppy! That wood looks like it will clean up real nice. Grind is clean. I'd like to a see a close up of the blade flat. The finish on that looks interesting.

I'm coming up to D.L. for the Fourth and will probably make a run into Fargo on the 3rd to get some fireworks and look around a bit. You going to be around for a shop visit?

It certainly is an interesting knife just the way it is. The very first thought that popped into my head when I saw the pic was: "General purpose, do everything, keep in the drawer kitchen knife."

Somebody mentioned the possibility of the rough blade being a bacteria hazard, maybe, maybe not.

I'd like to have the thing exactly as it is, well, with the handle fixed in place and the pins finished etc.

In short, a novel looking knife and I like it.

I really like the look of this knife- I am not sure what is bothering you about it. The wood goes really well with the look of the blade- and it looks like a comfortable using/camp knife. I would certainly say finish the knife and post some pictures. good luck.

I agree that the general design/layout is nice.

The only thing that strikes me is that the 2 grooves seem "incomplete". That is...only part of a yet-to-be-laid-out master design.

The rough finish on the blade speaks of rustic rooks but the handle echoes "machined".

If I had a suggestion, it would be to continue the random "cuts". Add more...long ones, short ones, deep/shallow, you get the idea.

I love the blade!
Not so sure about the rough spots but to each his own, some folks love the rustic style.
I'd thin the scales down some and maybe dome them.
I think the grooves take a lot away from the appearance of the knife.
Are they meant for traction or grip?
You did a fine job grinding the blade, be a shame not to finish it up, Kile!
Take care!!
Michael

I love this new forum. Thanks to the input I got here, I have decided to finish this knife up. Thin the scales down a bit, and remove the grooves. Cause the more I look at it the less I like them. Thanks for the opinions guys. The knife is currently clamped up letting the epoxy cure under the handle. I should have it finished up this weekend. I will post a finished picture if I get time.
Thank you Guys,
Kyle Fuglesten

Back