Hope Mr. Bos sees this - ATS-34

I've heated my ATS-34 fixed blade at 1975 F. for 40 min.. I air quenched to about 118 F. then tempered at 950 F. for 2 hours and air cooled to room temp.. Now it is in K1 kerosine/dry ice bath. When the dry ice is gone and the bath reaches ambient room temp. I intend to do a second temper the same as the first.

Am I in the ball park? What about this should I change, please?

Roger

Hi Roger..
Paul called me from home, and asked me to post this. He can read, but cant post from home and will be away from the puter at the shop for a few days..
Anyway he said, it all sounds good as long as your temps. are correct. He also said he will post a reply when he gets back..
Now HOW IS THAT for a guy that bends over backwards to help!!! Paul is a hell of a guy, they dont get any better than him...:D

Man - That's great! You bet and I'm considering addressing him as Sir Paul. Will look forward to his responce. I know I can't have hit it dead and am sure he can advise me on how to tweak my procedure. I'd like to hit it between Rc 59 and 61 for drop point hunters but will rely on his advise.

Thanks, for sure; Roger

The oven is a brand new 18 inch Evenheat Rampmaster II. I rely on the electronics and place my blade as close to the thermocouple as reasonable. I have not, however, calibrated the oven myself - so it is factory calibrated. For 118 degree 'quench to temp.' before tempering I used a digital thermometer, again relying on the vendors calibration except that I have checked it with boiling water.

Back