Horizontal Grinder Building - Thinking it through...

A little update on the plate hole cutting. What I ended up doing for the aluminum is cutting with a jug saw. I tried cutting with a circle cutter, but it was soooooo sllooooowwww.
I did get 1/8 inch deep circle to follow with the saw though, so it was helpful.
For the 1/4 steel plate I drilled holes all the way around, then cut with jig saw to connect them to cut out the circle.
you know I have an 8" rotary table... a very nice Yuasa.
perhaps plan out all your milling requirements, bring the tooling and come over do it al at once at my place in a day?

This is what I think the final wheel layout is going to be. The left front wheel should be interchangeable from 2, 3, and 4 inches. The right wheel should go up to perhaps 6, but not sure I will go that big with it.
This is using the Beaumont drive wheel (4"), Tracking Wheel, and small wheel assemblies. I could have built my own perhaps, but this was the easy way to go for sure.
It is interesting to note that those with the Beaumont H grinder could probably mod to this with little cost, and a moderate amount of work and have a full blown and more versatile 72" grinder.

View attachment 945520 View attachment 945521
I think that strong spring here is very good idea , Brock Cutlery Brock Cutlery
e4dqv81.jpg

I've been thinking lot of what I need in horizontal grinder I intend soon to make .After I look in many different configuration of horizontal grinders I come to this .......2 X 42 belt , 2800 rpm 3 phase motor with 15cm Dia.wheel with polyurethane and small 3cm Dia. wheel also with rubber .
Motor and drive wheel will do tracking job and small wheel will act as tension wheel . That s it . ..
What do you think about this ?

I am sure that will be very useful and functional. I would make sure you can swap out small wheels. That is a large part of the handiness of this config.

Pushing the wheel up? Not the shock tensioner, right? I have no idea what is in there. I haven't messed with this project trying to get some knives made, but I need to get back after it. I need it! :D
On your setup nothing hold the wheel to go up, except little force from belt tension and weight , most force from belt push wheel on side not down ....
No , to pull down ,Tracking bolt push wheel up and that spring need to push wheel down ....when rotate wheel will tend to spin in horizontal / vertical axle position , and if your tracking wheel have some negative inclination while spin very fast , can go UP . Just as when you hold the front bike wheel in your hands and somebody starts to rotate it .... If you hold it right no problemo , tilt it to one side and wheel will resist it and try to get back to the right position ....
2PCmjOD.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine for the moment that this is normal vertical grinder and look in tracking/tension mechanism to get picture what I m talking about . .. ;) Force from belt/gas spring is transmitted from wheel on tracking bolt in NORMAL configuration grinder ...which is not the case in your setup , your tracking wheel is on wrong side to do that .

la8cuAJ.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine for the moment that this is normal vertical grinder and look in tracking/tension mechanism to get picture what I m talking about . .. ;) Force from belt/gas spring is transmitted from wheel on tracking bolt in NORMAL configuration grinder ...which is not the case in your setup , your tracking wheel is on wrong side to do that .

I think I see what you mean. This is Beaumont's tracking wheel for their horizontal. Honestly I didn't think about it, but I think the config is right.
The belt will pull the wheel in/down, and the tracking knob will lift it back up to accomplish tracking. So should not be a need for a spring.
Looking at it, the only thing under spring tension is the knob itself, I assume to help keep it from moving around during vibration.

I think I see what you mean. This is Beaumont's tracking wheel for their horizontal. Honestly I didn't think about it, but I think the config is right.
The belt will pull the wheel in/down, and the tracking knob will lift it back up to accomplish tracking. So should not be a need for a spring.
Looking at it, the only thing under spring tension is the knob itself, I assume to help keep it from moving around during vibration.

Here's a little more detail how I intend to do it . . .From top will be only wheels and handle for tracking . For small contact wheel /changeable/ I will use bearing from car engine water pump .They are much more durable then usual bearings . They have four rows of balls and can spin very fast .And of course because I have lot of them ;)One day I will change all mu idler wheel on my grinders and make new one with this kind of bearing .. Tension mechanism will be something like how lathe moving part was done .....sorry I don t know right name for that part of lathe in English .
SDjmnls.png

fSIiu4G.jpg

Back