Horn Carving Qs

First off Let me say that I love wood.

But I've only seen a few examples of carved horn handles. They looked good but are they simply not popular?
If I want to carve the handle myself what is necessary over and above wood?
Lots more questions but I know that they'll be answered in one form or another. Threads have a life of their own huh Blues?:D :p

Federico should weigh in on this one. I don't know, but I'd guess he has tried his hand at it. I've thought about it to the extent that I know what I'd set up for tools - A swivel vise, set of small files, and a Dremel Tool with a speed control and a set of fine burrs and polishing tips. ALSO, goggles and some 3-M breathing masks. Horn dust can contain many little wigglers (some exotic woods can, too) that would love to overpopulate your air intake and mucus membranes. They won't amount to much in general use, but if you generate enough dust to breathe in, it could be a whole 'nuther story. Handy stuff - a roll of duct tape (yeah) and a pair of scissors, for marking out pattern edges, lines, and for bordering a pattern to help cut down on over-runs. A horn Garud would be the ultimate Khuk handle :D

Roger I think the popularity may be related to the scarisity that the carved horn handles have over the carved wood handles. I can't recall seeing all that many carved horn handles posted by Uncle Bill.

As to what you would need to carve the horn I would suggest very sturdy and sharp as well as small bladed knives.
I really admire the horn carving myself as I have just an inkling as to how tough it is to carve having tried it myself a little in the past.
I would steer you away from very rapidly rotateing devices unless you run extremely sharp pieces at very fast rpms, having the workpiece very well anchored and both hands on the rotateing device as one little slip and it's all over but the crying, speaking from experience here.;)
It's also a good idea to ink the outline in with a very fine pen with a good India ink.

Been wondering about working on a horn hamdle myself. Wouldn't have thought of the potential for viable "bugs" in the horn. Good point.

I've done a little sanding to round of some hot spots and that was a little smelly. I'd think that using power tools, it would get downright stinky:barf:

Good idea uncle, I'll try junk 1st.
Are carved horn handles an option when ordering a khuk? Just wondering in case my carving incompetency becomes overobvious even to me.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the other advice Wal and Yvsa!

Are carved horn handles an option when ordering a khuk?

I'd think an option for a utilitarian pattern carved on horn and wood handles for grip might be pretty popular. Something like the checkering (or other pattern) on middle of the handle like Chitlangis and some older khuks have. Or checkering like the GRS in the FAQ (I think that's where I saw it). I'm sure the kami's will know what works best. Can have attractive high polish and grip at the same time.

That's the sort of thing I've contemplated doing to my horn handle.

The top handle has silver pins inserted in it in drilled holes, which are slightly above the surface of the horn and give the hndle a great texture. I assume the same thing could be achieved with aluminum and a hand drill.

Attachments

• 2 horn grips.jpg
    2 horn grips.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 59
Berk,

You and N2S are on a posting roll!

A new wonder every day. Keep it up.

Pix tell a hell of a story.

Here's a special order Malla handle that was done for RayC.

Attachments

• ray c's malla khukuri handle.jpg
    ray c's malla khukuri handle.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 32
That one made for RayC is a beaut.

About how much extra?

The carvers do this, not the kamis?

Rog,

I've been thinking of trying to mask out a pattern on my horn handle and roughing it up with emory paper. Reversable, and a way to make sure what areas of the handle you want smooth or grippy.
Might even look pretty good if the borders of the sanded area were incised. Simplest carving project to start out with. Could go nuts and try to checker the roughened areas later.

Carvers do it and as I recall Ray wanted that Malla silver mounted, too. Figure about $25 extra for a carved handle.

Back