Horn or wood?

Yes, I am referring to the handle! :rolleyes:

I am considering buying a 15" AK and can't decide what would be the better handle, wood or horn?. I see a lot the ones pictured here have the wood handles!? Which of the two is stronger? What are the pros/cons of each?
It will be mostly used for random bush use and never smashed or abused.

Thanks.

I imagine both would be comparable mabey leaning more towards horn...if you think about it horns where made for lots and lots of hard impact over years :p Also I like things with horn handles

Deja vu, anybody? ;)

Perhaps somebody better at this would be able to revive one of the million or so old threads discussing this (I remember posting in at least 3 of them).

In a nutshell, both are great, both are durable for your stated use, very little difference in maintenance, it's all purely subjective and differs from model to model. I, personally, like the warmth and the feel of wood especially on a hidden-tang handle, but the difference
disappears if one uses gloves.

So, for a 15" AK, I would get a wood handle, but I would also advice looking at the 16.5" Chiruwa AK model (mine is in horn), as a much more capable chopper albeit at the price of more weight and additional monetary expense.

Last edited:
Damn Animal
^
I am the opposite. I prefer wood handles. I guess the main thing is what is your preference. Both will be strong and durable.

alexs,

Thanks for the reply. I did search but found nothing useful.
I agree about the warmth of wood in the hand vs the cold hard feel of horn.

Guys,

I used to despise horns (not because i like wood better, though i really like Lignum Vitae) because it cracks easily and requires lots of moisture.

Comparing wood to horn, i realize horn-handled khuks with fulcrum of the khuk (weight) concentrating at the front, promoting excellent mechanism (double the chopping power with the potential energy + gravitational force) to chop with ease.Horn is lighter compared to wood, without compromising the strength. Some horns are just plain beautiful! My only complaint is my sweaty hands make the smooth handle rather slippery so i wear gloves.

Wood handle on other hand gives the impression that it's tougher, especially on the chiruwa handle.

Both WILL require plenty of TLC from tung oil, wax and mineral oil or hovesflex products.

I might have said the wrong thing again but when i hold my horn-handle Bura, it feels extremely lively.:D

Just totally changed the way i see horns

Last edited:
Today I took my HIs out. All the wood and horn expand, not shrink. So I dont have much problem with horn. The weather is hot and humid here with above 80% humidity.

I prefer horn as it's tough and light! It also creates a nice contrast with the silver blade and gold brass. Further more, it is considered to be valuable here. I bought some raw block of horn and the price is $10 per piece. Price of wood is nothing here. $1.5 per kilo of burls.

HORN!

Warmth and feel... please. :D Horn has all that too, let's not get all metaphysical here. :)

I like the way horn feels and I also think the stuff is as durable (in fact I think if you keep it moisturized properly (like you do with a wood handle as well)) it is MORE durable but I can't prove this with any sort of data. I will admit that if it gets really cold, like it can here in the winters, horn can shatter if dropped onto a hard surface like the walkway or driveway and wood doesn't do this but otherwise I love my horn handles blades.

I find that wood can be very appealing as well. Wood is about the only thing I know how to work and make more appealing should it come to me in a way I don't particularly like...

If you take a bit of time to look over both I think it is actually a toss up as to which would be "stronger" so I think your best bet its to buy the one you see that calls your name and worry not about what the handle is made of, if it looks good and seems to be right, then it is... ;)

Back