Horse leather for sheaths?

I have been wondering if horse leather would be good for sheaths, I have never used it and was wanting you guys opinion before I ordered a piece to try?

Don’t know first hand but found this on the web.
“The fibers in the horse's rear are more compressed than in steer hide, which is one reason Shell Cordovan doesn't crack or crease. More fibers mean more durability, strength, and flexibility. The grain structure also means that horsehide tends to be more abrasion resistant than cowhide.”

Don’t know what weight it come in, that could be a factor too, maybe.
Never seen it myself, but that doesn’t mean much.
Dave?!

Shell Cordovan is very tough, very scratch resistant, does not crease, and is very expensive. It generally only comes is thickness ranging from 2 to 4 oz, too thin for most sheath applications and it will not wet form. Makes great shoes and small items if you don't mind the cost but, personally, I would not use it in a sheath except as an inlay or overlay.
Randy

I have used Horse Butts, (not the same as Shell Cordovan, but still Horse hide), I think from Golligher Leather for horse tack, primarily head stalls.
I think it was around 7/8 oz. and I doubled it flesh to flesh to obtain 16 Oz. equivalent.
It had a softer temper than cowhide, but sufficient for the purpose I intended.
Not nearly as costly as Shell Cordovan, but I doubt I would use it for knife sheaths.
They come in relatively narrow trips which makes economical cutting a chore for odd shapes.
I was able to stamp it successfully.

Zack White leather has the horse leather in 7-8 oz, I may get one strip to try out and report back when I get to work some sheaths up. I really appreciate you guys advice and help.

I've used it for sheaths, headstalls as Paul mentioned, holsters, spur straps etc. Its great but inconsistent. What ya got and used yesterday isn't what ya can get tomorrow. Also the pieces themselves are inconsistent. Horsehide butt strips, whats available in the real world, are seconds from Horween. The firsts all go to the shoe and boot industry. Thats why we can only get butt strips, because they get the rest of the hide. If you were wanting to use it consistently for sheaths, ya'd need a $3000 splitter (the Cobra). Otherwise ya better off with cowhide. Thats the decision I made 25 years ago or so. Nothings changed. Seriously, horsehide is a superior leather for our needs and the same reason we can't really get it is because its all bought out by the big guys. Once it forms and stretches to a shape it doesn't continue to stretch unlike other leathers. Look down at your shoes or boots. They're horsehide. Remember the tag said Genuine Leather, not Genuine Cowhide. We currently use it daily for the wife's IWB holsters that she builds. Works good for that use and the pieces are small enough that the inconsistency's in the leather are mitigated.

umMiHVN.jpg

v3rBzZ1.jpg

BafxJ4O.jpg

rOSIBIJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back