Hot chocolate in bannock mix?

kgd

Anyone ever give this a shot. I'm often packing bannock mix and hot chocolate packages for separate situations but I was thinking one might be able to make something like a bannock brownie by mixing in the packages to the mix. I know bringing cocoa would be better, but the thought occurred about using ingredients already on hand.

Anybody try this before? Or anyone willing to experiment?

Ken

I've never tried with hot choc mix, just choc chips. I'm thinking it would work. Straight cocoa powder might not taste that great, since it bitters up as it burns, and there isn't usually a lot of sugar in bannock, though it does depend on your personal recipe. I'd say its worth a try, might be really nice. I'd go for it, but I have my own bannock cooking troubles being GF. Gotta get to work on a simple buckwheat bread I think.

Buckwheat is a strong flavor so go easy with

it. Even I can't go more than about 25 % . Besides buckwheat doesn't have any texture [ gluten I'd use here but the snowflakes might protest ! ]
BTW Japanese knotweed is related to buckwheat and it's honey is a mild , pleasant buckwheat flavor !
I've done cocoa in pancakes .But you can adjust for sweetness. I always prefer my own mixes more than store bought.

No protests from this snowflake, though the proper descriptors of the results don't fit in this sub. Corn meal would be another option, but the soak time is a bit of a challenge for doing something quick. A lot of the gums and stuff used for replicating gluten don't do so great under high heat. So its all a compromise.

Back