How about a 1/4" thick blade?

You guys may just get your wish on a 1/4" thick blade. We're going back and forth with some military SERE instructors on a design they have specified. Roughly it will be a 5 inch blade that's 1/4" thick. Not sure when this one will be on the schedule but we'll keep you posted as it progresses.

Jeff

That would be Great...I own a Dumpster Mutt and it is .285 thick and 5" blade & 9.5"OAL and that is a helluva stout knife....I believe you(RAT Cutlery) would have a big seller on your hands,for the folks that are after big ,thick blades and within a reasonable price that the average Joe blow can afford . I would take 2 PE LOL !!!!!

This is a special project. The SERE instructors have come to us with their problems and suggestions and asked us to design around that. It's really a simple knife with the RAT Cutlery look to it, but different. Once We get their approval on the design and some idea of production dates, then we will post up a drawing for everyone to look at. I like it already and I don't even acre for 1/4" blades.

I own a few and for example,I couple my RC3 with my Swamp Rat Chopweiler,do to the chopper has a thick spine & under 8" and with my RC3 not much else needed while out messing around outdoors.

5" @ 1/4" thick will be a monster! A nice wide blade would be nice - the Dumpster Mutt that Tony mentioned is a cool piece - a prybar of sorts - but I'd rather see a nice wide blade w/ a full height grind to help thin the edge some. I'm sure the SERE guys will come up with a great design, though! Can't wait to see it.

I agree, a 5" knife with a .250 thick blade weighs 12 lbs more than a 5" .188 thick blade. I think I heard Jeff say that they would sell accessory training wheels so that some folks can painfully drag the knife behind them.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Tom,
Since we don't see facial expressions or hear vocal inflection on email, perhaps a :) or :D would have shown your joviality?

;)

BTW - Just picked up a Falkniven A-1 ; awesome knife :cool:

I pack around some large 1/4"+ knives on occasion - they aren't that terribly heavy. Strapped on to your combat gear, they're hardly even noticeable. The SERE guys aren't strangers to carrying heavy loads, and they have obviously factored the weight issue in to their decision to go w/ a 1/4" thick blade. I don't think that this SERE model will be for "everyone," its sure not your lightweight hunting companion skinner knife - it'll be a prybar of a knife that is meant to be mistreated and abused...

There are obviously plenty of us that are real excited about this project - although I can see that there's a large demographic of people that won't have any use for it.

The market is there for a 1/4" RTAK2 type knife...especially since Ethan Becker said he probably will not bring back the Brute, which is my favorite camp knife. Although a RAT cutlery 3/16" RTAK type knife could become a new favorite...how long before they hit the internet stores?

I'm looking forward to a 1/4" thick blade, I'd carry it with pride. Mike & Jeff keep up the good work.

I'm adding another 20lbs to my ALICE pack (thats what we used when I was in the Marine Corps) to get me in shape for the 1/4" thick blade ;). This ones for you HaroldB:thumbup:

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

I'm adding another 20lbs to my ALICE pack (thats what we used when I was in the Marine Corps) to get me in shape for the 1/4" thick blade ;).

I think I'll just stick to a cheap machete for the places we haunt. Last thing I need is more weight ;)

Add my name to the future carriers of a 5" x .25" Rat!
I'll buy one as soon as you make them.

Back