How about some cattle knives?

I use the term loosely to include any round bolstered, equal end pocketknife, which is at least inspired by the cattle pattern.

Following my own flexible standards, here's my offering:

IMG_0426.jpg

Man those are beauties, nice layout with the box.
I really like the look of that RedBone model could you tell me a little about it?
Thanks for the pics,
Kap

Yes, that's a Crimson bone Railsplitter by Schatt and Morgan. I bought it from Bill Horn of Cumberland Knife Works.

Thanks for mentioning the display case. I just finished it today and actually wanted to show it off even more than the knives :eek:

Hey longbeach,

Great collection with a great showcase, it makes a nice picture..Could you show us a pic of the stag knife in the center with the bowtie shield...I want to see a closeup so I can drool a little more...

Sunburst

Hey Sunburst:

Thanks and here are a couple better detail pics of the Queen/Dan Burke Rancher you asked about...

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

I just couldn't let this thread die off, LBG! One of my favorite patterns is back to haunt you this All Hallow's Eve!!
If you'all will indulge me a little I'll put up a few pics of Cattle knives old and new:
First, an old EDC of mine from before I was actually a poor addicted knife collector! Horn-handled, a Rodger's "cutlers to Her Majesty", under a minty junior sized Syracuse Cattle knife from (Camillus) way back in the 1930's! Camillus is a suburb of Syracuse, N.Y.;
Cattle2RogersSyracuse.jpg

A monster Dan Burke designed Cattle, with a relief carved steer head, from Queen, above a Fight'n Rooster 3 backspring 3-large blade knife (a variation on the cattleknife) fancy as Satiddy Nite!
CattleBurke.jpg

CattleFightnRooster.jpg

Here are three premier traditional beauties, Case Tested Greenbone Cattleknives. Down inside the center liner is milled on these babies. I believe it was done to ensure the blades didn't hang up on the liners as the knife wore down. One of those lost elements of the art of the cutler! I feel lucky to have them!
CaseCattleMilled3-1.jpg

Good to see some additions! An honest, hardworking pattern that just does the job and does it well. Nice stuff! That carved, Dan Burke looks big enough to beat up an elephant/sunfish!

I hope some folks start showing some more of these!

Waynorth, all I can say is Wow! Some breathtaking knives there. And thanks for resurrecting this thread!

How do you like the Dan Burke cattle knife? I've considered getting one a few times, but never pulled the trigger. Is it as impressive as it looks in pictures?

Here's one I didn't include in my initial photo: A Schatt & Morgan Series XVI equal end cattle knife in Bradford green bone.

IMG_0766.jpg

Whohhh !!!!....those Case are extra-ordinary....and I dig that Rooster all done up in MOP !!
Here's my 1981 NKCA Club Queen Stag "Cigar" Equal End :
44jbz2f.jpg

2naqo7s.jpg

-Cheers

Well LBG, that Burke knife needs wheels on it:eek: ! It is Hulk sized, not suitable for ordinary mortals, unless you wear suspenders with your belt, and are in top physical condition:p ! I keep it in my safe, so the safe can't be carried off!!:D :D
Seriously, it's freakishly large.

Here's a comparison of size, a li'l ole Robeson, and a big Bulldog! I like those little junior cattle knives; a lot of knife in a small package.
Cattle2RobesonBullDog.jpg

Back