How Annealing of Steel Works – Subcritical vs Transformation Annealing

This is a great subject. It is very curious how prior set up before Austenizing plays a role with performance after HT and going deeper with how the annealing works is acutually a "dark horse" topic.

Annealing is more complicated than other areas of heat treating and there is less information available. Great subject.

Hoss
That's true, annealing is kind of taken for granted.

This is very helpful. I need to read it again. Not my favorite article, but still very good. I never felt I really understood annealing. So much to learn.

Larrin, thanks so much for writing these. It's become almost gospel in the internet knife world that you should never ash/vermiculite anneal a hypereutectoid steel. If I'm understanding DET correctly, then ash cooling a hypereutectoid steel will work for spheroidizing as long as the correct austenitization temperature is used?

Larrin, thanks so much for writing these. It's become almost gospel in the internet knife world that you should never ash/vermiculite anneal a hypereutectoid steel. If I'm understanding DET correctly, then ash cooling a hypereutectoid steel will work for spheroidizing as long as the correct austenitization temperature is used?
Yes.

Back