How are Canadian online stores importing?

Any idea how canadian online knife stores are keeping "illegal" knives in stock? I got a fun little boker karambit last year with thumb studs from warriorsandwonders, and they have enough stock for other knives that it can't possibly be what's left over from 2018?

Any idea how canadian online knife stores are keeping "illegal" knives in stock?

Because they're not illegal.
The Border folks are deeming some individual knives as prohibited (according to them), but that's not a law; that's Customs people doing what they do.

The stores order in the perfectly legal knives (because they are legal), and then some of the shipments get stopped at the Border; not every knife will be tested for flicking; not every shipment gets stopped for inspection, because the knives are legal.

Knives with thumb-studs are not illegal, nor are ones with flippers or studs.
However, if the knife is inspected and the officer can flick it while using the stud, hole or flipper, then they may categorize it as "gravity/flick knife", and seize it.

All this silliness has raised the cost of these perfectly legal to own in Canada knives domestically, due to the extra hassle and shipping costs.

Right, I knew they weren't illegal, hence the quotes on "illegal."
But you would think they'd just keep a list of all the knives they claim are illegal, and just compare against the packing list for any shipment to a knife store? Errr... I hope they don't read these forums lol.

Right, I knew they weren't illegal, hence the quotes on "illegal."
But you would think they'd just keep a list of all the knives they claim are illegal, and just compare against the packing list for any shipment to a knife store? Errr... I hope they don't read these forums lol.

Doesn't matter if it's a legal model knife if they manage to flick that particular knife. Worse how they can flick it with assist from stud, hole or flipper in conjunction with wrist action.
Could be the same model from the same company, but one doesn't flick and the other does. The one they can flick gets called illegal. Weird that way.

It's just a huge pain shipping folding knives over the Border into Canada these days.

The local gun store is a Benchmade dealer, and they have all their knives shipped to them with pivots tightened way down. They adjust the pivot to be able to open it normally (not wrist flick, but not bust your thumbs) once they have it in the store.

Whoops! Here come the black helicopters for you two and your knives. Good knowing you.

Back