How attached do you get?

My favourite fixed blades are those that came to me in some special way, or represent a kind gesture from a friend.

My most special user HDFK was sold to me by @Mike157. I asked him if he happened to have one he’d to let go as I wanted to replace my user I previously sold after I started getting on my feet. Being the consummate Gentleman he is, he sold it to me I think below his cost when they were selling at a premium on the secondary market. I later sent that one in to CPK and Mark did a stunning AW on it for me, I dyed the scales and PVD coated the ti hardware. It has a custom SWG sheath, that one will never go!

My older OGFK with the Butterscotch scales one off. It picked up a sheath scratch and @Nathan the Machinist offered to take it in and fix it. It got a wicked AW and came back looking better than new. @Jo the Machinist even put new hardware on it for me that topped it off. That one has been on display since! Staying.

@coiledwire has done me a couple solids, I have a couple that came from him that is never sell as they represent our friendship and are very cool pieces.

There are others but that’s probably enough story time from me! But one day I want to share the story of the one from woodysone woodysone !

K9Bycgel.jpg

This one is actually in my will.

Lorien,

I remember exactly. You emailed me saying that you sent me a PM. Basically the PM read that the success that you were having with the CPK designs meant a lot to you, and you regretted letting go of the original Protos you had and wanted to rebuild the original group, so you wanted to get the one you traded me back.

I understood exactly why you wanted to do that so I sent that one back to you free.

Nathan later sent me one to replace it free. It was absolutely stunning and I was honored to have it. That knife became my most used chopper.

I’m not sure what happened between you and Nathan regarding that Sebenza.

Sadly that chopper was sold as well as nearly all my other knives and the better part of the household goods during the asset division with my Ex. I sold all my folders down to I think 5. I kept I think 8 CPKs and sold all my other fixed blades except the couple I use in the kitchen.

Getting rid of the majority of knives wasn’t something I wanted to do, but in the end I needed to get out of the situation and into a new place with my kids with very short notice and I needed to raise tens of thousands of dollars in cash with almost no notice. I ended up leaving with 2 van loads worth of stuff in total for the kids and I from an entire house. I made a lot of sacrifices to make it happen so I hope there are no hard feelings. I actually just got a FK2 which was my first from CPK in probably 2 years.

SORRY! I’m rambling here.

hooooly shit, dude! I had a clue that things were complicated, but oh boy that sounds fucking rough. I'm glad you're back in the forum more regularly and posting cool threads like this one

I couldn't even imagine how there could be any hard feelings on my part, I'm super grateful you obliged me, and always will be
I'm pretty sure that Sebenza got you that replacement LC, so like, full circle

Just, wow... that is a crazy cool piece of history itself as well as family history!! Not that you ever would, but never let that one go!!

Winston

Thank you :) I don’t believe it’s ever been outside since he gave it to me. It will always have a place within the family.
He served in the Army with the engineers. He was a POW with the Nazis and each time escaped. I think I can only recall two or three times he ever spoke of it. I have the BEST childhood memories from time spent with him and my Grandmother.
Geezzz the memories that a knife can bring up :)

My favourite fixed blades are those that came to me in some special way, or represent a kind gesture from a friend.

My most special user HDFK was sold to me by @Mike157. I asked him if he happened to have one he’d to let go as I wanted to replace my user I previously sold after I started getting on my feet. Being the consummate Gentleman he is, he sold it to me I think below his cost when they were selling at a premium on the secondary market. I later sent that one in to CPK and Mark did a stunning AW on it for me, I dyed the scales and PVD coated the ti hardware. It has a custom SWG sheath, that one will never go!

My older OGFK with the Butterscotch scales one off. It picked up a sheath scratch and @Nathan the Machinist offered to take it in and fix it. It got a wicked AW and came back looking better than new. @Jo the Machinist even put new hardware on it for me that topped it off. That one has been on display since! Staying.

@coiledwire has done me a couple solids, I have a couple that came from him that is never sell as they represent our friendship and are very cool pieces.

There are others but that’s probably enough story time from me! But one day I want to share the story of the one from woodysone woodysone !
That was something special to me Justin, a backup in case I broke the first. How did you find out I had an extra so many years later?

Lorien,

I remember exactly. You emailed me saying that you sent me a PM. Basically the PM read that the success that you were having with the CPK designs meant a lot to you, and you regretted letting go of the original Protos you had and wanted to rebuild the original group, so you wanted to get the one you traded me back.

I understood exactly why you wanted to do that so I sent that one back to you free.

Nathan later sent me one to replace it free. It was absolutely stunning and I was honored to have it. That knife became my most used chopper.

I’m not sure what happened between you and Nathan regarding that Sebenza.

Sadly that chopper was sold as well as nearly all my other knives and the better part of the household goods during the asset division with my Ex. I sold all my folders down to I think 5. I kept I think 8 CPKs and sold all my other fixed blades except the couple I use in the kitchen.

Getting rid of the majority of knives wasn’t something I wanted to do, but in the end I needed to get out of the situation and into a new place with my kids with very short notice and I needed to raise tens of thousands of dollars in cash with almost no notice. I ended up leaving with 2 van loads worth of stuff in total for the kids and I from an entire house. I made a lot of sacrifices to make it happen so I hope there are no hard feelings. I actually just got a FK2 which was my first from CPK in probably 2 years.

SORRY! I’m rambling here.

Justin I like the fact that you are willing to share a rough part of your life with us. It actually takes courage on some level, and we are the beneficiaries of it.

So attached that even when I don't think I need another CPK because "well...this new pattern looks pretty close functionally to my CPK "fill-in-the-blank that I just bought", and then I get the new one and I immediately resolve that this latest CPK joins all the others on my "NEVER SELL" list....(which list now contains the HDFK, my first CPK and a sentimental and practical favorite;my FK2-- the best EDC ever; the UF- which I seem to always have at hand even if just to admire it's lines; and a DEK1 on pre-order.....otherwise there's only the pocket knife my uncle gave me when I was 8.. my first "real" knife, and the CRK Nyala my twin brother gave me for my most recent birthday), and that's the never sell list---open now only to additional CPK's...folder?...boot dagger?...or whatever Nathan and Co. put out next :cool:

Back