How badly are you bothered by “nitpicks?”

You know the sort. Slightly off-kilter edge grind, the backspacer that isn’t flush by 0.001mm, the lockbar that sticks out by 0.0005mm, etc. Basically things that only us knife nuts see and are 100% invisible to non-knife people. Purely aesthetic blemishes, zero effect on function.

Just out of curiosity. All five CS folders I got have excellent QC.

You know the sort. Slightly off-kilter edge grind, the backspacer that isn’t flush by 0.001mm, the lockbar that sticks out by 0.0005mm, etc. Basically things that only us knife nuts see and are 100% invisible to non-knife people. Purely aesthetic blemishes, zero effect on function.

I use all my knives but for a few, so these things don't bother me at all. On a CS I'd just tinker with a file or emory cloth until the rough edges were gone and then start using the knife for the tool it is. The blemishes on any knife pale in comparison to the ones in my own body and own personality! ;)

Zieg

As a collector more than a user, I am pretty nit-picky. Think I went through something like 10 Magnum Tanto II's, and a dozen Stag Trail Masters, trying to find just the right ones. But that was hunting for vintage discontinued models....anything I've bought brand new has been perfect, or close enough.

I've had a few nits to pick. I've I've only returned one CS knife. A Black Rhino. The lock bar kept moving forward. New one had the exact same problem. I tried fixing it. Finally jimmy rigged it to work.

I'm in the Very camp. Especially if I buy a vintage, rare, high priced item (any one or all three distinctions together). Especially if the item is listed for sale as Mint or Perfect or No Blemishes at All. For me, sellers should list any issues the item may have (that they notice), I will then buy it or not buy it. Knowing full well the condition of the item I am buying.

Just one example. I hate when I buy a knife, and I ask the seller if there are pivot scratches from opening and closing the blade, seller says No. Knife arrives with pivot scratches.

I just bought a new, direct from the factory folder from Buck - pivot scratch across the entire blade. I may live with it or I may return it. Just disappointed as this is the first Buck knife I have ever purchased direct from Buck. Nit Pick - Yes.

I'm very picky but with Cold Steel I just fix whatever is bothering me. They are such a bargain that I enjoy modifying them without much fear of screwing them up. Plus I tend to appreciate a knife more after I've tinkered with it.
With higher priced brands, I may not want to mess with the knife so a flaw can mean returning or reselling at a discount.

Maybe I have been exceedingly lucky, or I'm more of a common buyer. But I have never had a single issue with a CS product, other than an XL Recon One that had a grinding feel when I opened it. I figured that it would just wear in/bed itself. I just went to one of my tubs to check it out again, as it's been a while. Yup a tiny bit of roughness at the first few inches of opening, then it goes away. It seems much less than when I first got it a few years ago, and to be honest, I haven't used that big Tanto much at all. But I like it tremendously! I suppose that I don't care about that slight bit of scruff on opening as the thing walks n talks with authority and has a bank vault feel. So I really don't care about a minor issue like that. It has no real world reduction of function for me. As for the tough to open triad locks. Sure I've had some that where pretty stiff, but as mentioned previously, they break in and get easier over time. Perhaps being a larger man has made depressing these locks less of an issue for me, but I have always appreciated the tough rugged triad lock, in every aspect. If anything, I find it more assuring that effort is needed to disengage the lock................. I just remembered that back when I got a Lonestar and Macinac (sp?) Hunter, both of those two where really stiff, unusually so. But again, they both broke in over time.

I got a brand new Large Voyager clip point from an authorized dealer. It looked perfect out of the box, but upon inspection the blade was very loose, and had a tiny bit of side to side play. I pulled the pivot screw, and blue loctited it, and re assembled so the blade now has zero side to side, and drops freely. The knife NOW has an off centered blade. Hangs to the left now. I repeated the whole pivot screw adjustment thing again, and the blade still rides to the left. If I loosen the pivot screw the blade is perfectly centered, but loose, and has the side to side play. Weird. I just left it alone now as it drops freely, and it is only a $60 dollar knife.

I got a brand new Large Voyager clip point from an authorized dealer. It looked perfect out of the box, but upon inspection the blade was very loose, and had a tiny bit of side to side play. I pulled the pivot screw, and blue loctited it, and re assembled so the blade now has zero side to side, and drops freely. The knife NOW has an off centered blade. Hangs to the left now. I repeated the whole pivot screw adjustment thing again, and the blade still rides to the left. If I loosen the pivot screw the blade is perfectly centered, but loose, and has the side to side play. Weird. I just left it alone now as it drops freely, and it is only a $60 dollar knife.

With everything loose, did you try wedging the blade to the right, and then tightening everything?

Is it still possible to exchange the knife? Or perhaps some more tinkering and adjustment might solve the issue. Well, if I can’t have both, I’d rather get rid of the bladeplay. As a folding knife user, it’s extremely important to me that my knives are 100% solid when locked open.

With everything loose, did you try wedging the blade to the right, and then tightening everything?
Hey man. Yes I did on the second try. Once everything was back together and perfect blade action the blade was still running left. I really love the knife, and the action now is perfect, so I don't want to mess with it. Honestly....being stuck in the house is getting to me. I just might go for a third try. Maybe third times a charm?

Is it still possible to exchange the knife? Or perhaps some more tinkering and adjustment might solve the issue. Well, if I can’t have both, I’d rather get rid of the bladeplay. As a folding knife user, it’s extremely important to me that my knives are 100% solid when locked open.
Can't return it now as I have been carrying it a lot. I agree blade play is worse than being off centered. I might mess with it again, as I'm getting real twisted being stuck in the house. The action is so sweet/perfect now I'd hate to lose it. Its really not that bad honestly just an eye sore to look at. If I attempt adjustment again I'll let you guys know how I make out. :thumbsup:

If you can't center the blade the problem may be a warped liner. If you disasemble again, check for that and you should be able to straigten.

Can't return it now as I have been carrying it a lot. I agree blade play is worse than being off centered. I might mess with it again, as I'm getting real twisted being stuck in the house. The action is so sweet/perfect now I'd hate to lose it. Its really not that bad honestly just an eye sore to look at. If I attempt adjustment again I'll let you guys know how I make out. :thumbsup:
Good luck, bud.

It guess, I must be nitpicky.I picked up a Carbon Fiber Golden Eye during their sale and found holding the knife in a saber grip was unpleasantly uncomfortable.As they don't chamfer the inside edge of the handles.

My most recent purchased was G-10 bush ranger had the exact same problem with handle but also the lock bar.The bar was significantly amount of sharp edges.I am pretty sure if I rub my thumb across the lock bar, I'm surely to be cut.

Depends on what I spent. For the record, every Cold Steel I have ever purchased, at every price point, has felt like a bargain. That said, I am not looking for collectable show pieces. I carry (and generally use) every knife I own, so I don't really inspect for cosmetic issues.

Back