how can i position lanyard hole correctly?

deltablade

Gold Member
I plan to replace the handle on my Trailmaster with leather washers and a wooden pommel.
How can I position the lanyard hole in the pommel so that it aligns with the hole in the tang when I slip the pommel onto the tang? I seem to have two left thumbs for this, so would appreciate any advice.

I plan to replace the handle on my Trailmaster with leather washers and a wooden pommel.
How can I position the lanyard hole in the pommel so that it aligns with the hole in the tang when I slip the pommel onto the tang? I seem to have two left thumbs for this, so would appreciate any advice.
Maybe this would work..............make copy from handle in thin wood , sheet metal or aluminium ...and drill that hole.When you finish your new handle align that copy with guard/bolster and mark or drill that hole right through copy hole ?
MoU82Zj.jpg

I am really impressed with these diagrams, and think the technique will work. Yet not sure how to interpret Bucketoves diagram

I am really impressed with these diagrams, and think the technique will work. Yet not sure how to interpret Bucketoves diagram
Its a drill guide
Think of it as a table with 4 legs
you line up the front legs with the bolster/guard, find the hole, and drill through

Or say if you've got a drill press,
with the knife clamped and pinned to a board,
x marks the spot

J7soOqo.png

thinks so, and thanks
This setup is for your original handle , to drill that hole .When you put new handle that red part goes on top side on that two blue parts .Align them as first time and there is hole ..............

well, I think I have figured out the diagrams, so while I am at home during this virus scare, I am gonna get started.
here is the Trailmaster as I received it and after I removed some slight rust from the blade. will post pix as I go
HQ2a0gy.jpg

before I start, does anybody think I should get the factory to replace handle instead of adding leather myself?

well, I think I have interpreted the diagram correctly, and this looks like it will work. I think when I draw the outline and add pegs around the blade I will be able to replace the knife on the pattern exactly, so the guide hole will line up with the hole in the tang.
OxlWRpc.jpg

Last edited:
got the tang cleaned up, have dampened washers and compressed them to dry. will work on pommel tomorrow. am undecided if I should do all leather washers, or add spacers near guard and pommel. The small metal square originally on the tang at the guard (shown in pic above) came off as I was sanding. doesnt seem to serve any purpose, so I am gonna leave it off.
QHVEk4f.jpg

Last edited:
Back