How did you quit smoking?

I have stopped/quit for a week. Over the past 25 years or so, I have quit 3x..all 3x, it was someone else wanting me to quit. Always doomed to fail.
Last week, I made the decision that it was a stupid endeavor. I could have more. Dependent on how you look at it..it could be more knives, lives or days with your loved ones.

Not real hard to make the decision, a little harder to carry through but it's totally manageable if you think about it.

I did read this thread beforehand.

Thank you all for the inspiration you have provided. It was a small piece of the whole encouragement that I need to succeed!

Bill

I quit cold turkey after 40 yrs of smoking,19yrs 3weeks 5days 11hours & 37seconds ago,but who's counting!!!

Good luck Bill. As you noted, you have to want to do it for yourself, only then can it happen.

I had been smoking cigarettes for 8 years, and was at a pack (or more) a day for the last 5. Woke up one morning with a smokers cough - couldn't choke down a cigarette and decided to run with it. For months the cravings were tough, but eventually I found that if I smoked an occasional cigar, my daily craving for tobacco subsided immensely.

I smoke when I drink beer .I like beer cigarettes not so much but they have just always gone hand in hand.
When I'm not on the beer I despise the them and don't smoke.
I can go ages with out any tobacco craving.
Certainly don't get up in the morning after a big night out and light up.
How to achieve this state of resistance?
Do not light up first thing-have proper breakfast-make your first ciggy at morning tea time-then lunch-then arfternoon-then evening -be strong and eventually it will be only when you are out on the beers.
It also helps immensely if you don't buy cigarettes -bludging other peoples will soon reduce the amount you smoke.

I smoked for 40 years, and after almost losing my teeth to periodontal gum disease decided to quit. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I saved enough per month to buy a nearly new Tacoma 4 x 4 truck, and have not had one drag of smoke ever. You have to want it , or you won't do it! I WAS SPENDING 3600.00 PER YEAR ON A NO GOOD, WORTHLESS, BULLSHIT, FILTHY HABIT! Good fucking riddance I say! LONG LIVE THE NON- SMOKERS. Be strong and committed, and you will be an ex smoker!

Going on three weeks today and still going strong :)

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Going on three weeks today and still going strong :)

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Good job man! just keep that streak going and worry about today. A lot of people say I'm going to quit and worry about the next day, or week, or month but I think the key is one day at a time.

Good job man! just keep that streak going and worry about today. A lot of people say I'm going to quit and worry about the next day, or week, or month but I think the key is one day at a time.

Thanks!

I think it is about 1 day at a time..Some days are better than others, but thinking about not being able to breathe helps..Thinking about gasping for air helps..That would be a horrible way to go, especially if family were there to witness it. Those thoughts are definitely what keeps the motivation high!

Bill

I Smoked for 27 years and have been a nonsmoker for 1 year and 3 months now. I looked up places on the internet to help me quit I found one that gave me free patches, a Quit coach, and a plan to quit. I think just bought all the states have places to help. Google should offer up some help.. GOOD LUCK its hard but so worth it...

My friend succeeded in quitting smoking. He instantly shifted his focus when he wanted to smoke. I think keeping your hands or mind busy can help you quit smoking.

Congrats to all who have succeed.

Ive been vaping since my last post in this thread. Admit i caved and had one cig a couple of different times over the course. Felt gross for the next couple days.

Vaping is gay and prolly not good for you, but i personally cant argue with how much better i feel and BREATHE since switching.

Thx guys.

Good luck to all.

I smoked for 5 years and dipped for 15 years. The only thing that has really helped me kick the habit is vaping. The medicine never seemed to work too well for me. Nicotine has to be one of the hardest things for so many people to overcome. I've vaped for about 1 year now and I honestly had to relearn how to do certain things without a dip in or a cigarette. Good luck to all that are willing to try and kick the habit.

Like other posters I've quit a number of times, once for 10 years and started back. This cycle I've been quit for over 20 years, so I think I've got it whipped. I always quit cold turkey, and when the craving got really intense, I'd do some kind of exercise to get my heart rate up, which seemed to really help.

This last time I calculated how much money I would spend on cigarettes in a year, and decided that if I lasted a year I'd use that money to buy me something that I really wanted. I did last a year, so I continued that for several more years, and now I consider myself "smoke-free".

I never thought about rewarding myself by spending the money I'd save each year. I quit in 1985, so I could really buy myself something nice. I wonder if the wife would go for it? :D

Cold turkey but reward yourself with a nice massage every week you stay quit. Then wean yourself from all those weekly girls to once a month if you can.

Smoked Marlboro Reds for almost 20 years.

I quit using a high powered vape, while the unit cost about 200 just for the battery and about 40 for the atomizer, i saved a ton.

Plus my lungs feel great!

I'm smoke free today... but today is today. I turned down a smoke at the noon meeting. Still dipping and puffing on a Vuse ecig at home.

Back