How To How do i make the point of my knife more pointy and stabby?

By removing all the material necessary in order to produce the most acute apex or vertex you are capable of.

You don’t actually sharpen the point. As said already, remove enough material to create a sharp pointy tip.

Kinda like you did with popsicle sticks when you were a kid. (Or at least kind of like we did.)

The easiest way is to bring the spine down toward to edge, e.g. a clip point or drop point, which can be done with simple grinding. If instead you raise the edge toward the spine you will have to regrind the faces of the knife to thin it out.

Look at the tip with a magnifier like a loupe. You will see where it is rounded and not pointy. Grind away the roundedness. Remove metal to form straighter lines towards the tip. If you are just sharpening the edge this isn't too difficult, but it can require some finesse and some blending to make the tip look good and not wobbly or weird.

If you are intending to majorly reshape the tip of the blade, you might be grinding on several surfaces in 3 dimensions. This is obviously more advanced. For either of these exercises I recommend playing with a blade that you are willing to throw in the garbage can when you are done with it. Make your mistakes on cheap blades first. Mistakes are part of learning. Learn from them. :)

Brian.

Back