1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 44 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)
  3. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

How To How do i make the point of my knife more pointy and stabby?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Dare Robertson, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Dare Robertson

Dare Robertson

Sep 20, 2019
    how do i make the point of my knife pointier for stabbing and such?

2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    By removing all the material necessary in order to produce the most acute apex or vertex you are capable of.

115Italian likes this.
  3. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    You don’t actually sharpen the point. As said already, remove enough material to create a sharp pointy tip.

4. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Kinda like you did with popsicle sticks when you were a kid. (Or at least kind of like we did.)

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  5. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    The easiest way is to bring the spine down toward to edge, e.g. a clip point or drop point, which can be done with simple grinding. If instead you raise the edge toward the spine you will have to regrind the faces of the knife to thin it out.

6. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Look at the tip with a magnifier like a loupe. You will see where it is rounded and not pointy. Grind away the roundedness. Remove metal to form straighter lines towards the tip. If you are just sharpening the edge this isn't too difficult, but it can require some finesse and some blending to make the tip look good and not wobbly or weird.

If you are intending to majorly reshape the tip of the blade, you might be grinding on several surfaces in 3 dimensions. This is obviously more advanced. For either of these exercises I recommend playing with a blade that you are willing to throw in the garbage can when you are done with it. Make your mistakes on cheap blades first. Mistakes are part of learning. Learn from them. :)

Brian.

CasePeanut likes this.
  7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    EC6DB40D-52F1-4015-9792-F0CB283B64B6.jpeg A197AF79-344D-4360-9537-20821C24937A.jpeg 5CB54DAE-DD0C-4B59-AD7D-CF4612FBCDEC.jpeg Here are a few that I made more pointy.

jpm2 likes this.