How do I sharpen my knives?

I know this info is probably somewhere on this site, but I can't seem to find it. I just bought the queen d2 whittler and I may buy something else soon. I have NEVER sharpened a knife, so if someone could steer me in the right direction that would be very helpful. I have a couple nice chef knives that could also use some work too. Thanks all,

JD

Google Spyderco Sharpmaker. It comes with an istructional DVD and everything else you need to start sharpening.:D :thumbup: :thumbup: Good luck!

The Sharpmaker seems to be the most popular sharpener, and the link shown in Knarfeng's post is a great source for technique.

The Queen D2 is going to be a pain for a first time sharpening attempt, especially on something like a sharp maker. I found mine had a pretty thick edge and I had to remove a lot of steel to get it to where I wanted it. You should practice on your chef knives as they are usually pretty thing to begin with and should be a breeze on the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

moving-van.jpg

i just got a lansky basic system that has the flat hones and the angle guide. while idk how well they are liked by many people here, just from lack of experance, it seemed to work very well and very fast. i have an almsot razor edge on my little knife i just made.

-matt

Back