How do one-sided, beveled edge with a hollow-ground back perform?

You are looking mainly at the difference in edge angle as because the chisel ground edge has only one bevel the total included angle is usually lower on v-grund bevels. Of course there is nothing stopping you from grinding a v-ground bevel just as acute and thus equalizing the cutting ability.

The main difference seen in such japanese profile is that the hollows greatly raise ease of sharpening by providing a relief so that you are not honing or flattening over a very wide surface, you see the same grinds on chisels and other japanese cutting tools.

There is also a small benefit to decreasing sticking because of the hollows, but it usually isn't that significant.

-Cliff

My feeling is that this knife must be a fantastic slicer, not because of the grind but because of materials and quality construction, this is reflected in the price.

What I don´t like about the chisel grind is the tendency to go to one side.

My favorite slicer in the kitchen is a scandinavian fisherman knife, thin blade of good steel with an acute angle edge sharpened a bit toothy.

With thicker chisel ground knives you can readily notice them going to one side, however with really thin kitchen knives I have never noticed it at all. To be frank these knives can cut so well there is simply little force exerted on them one way or the other.

-Cliff

This 'pulling to one side' must be some type of little understood blade geometry.

All of my Emerson CQC7-B's pulled to one side, as did my Commander.

I also have a titanium plated Buck 110, it is also sharpened on only one side. It cuts straight with no tendency to wander when slicing.

At least 'geometry' is the word I think I'm looking for. After all, you don't knock the burr off of the Buck after polishing.

The amount of side drift seen depends on how much force there is on the blade and how uneven the geometry is with respect to the midline. If the blade has a primary v-grind and the edge is lopsided then the tendancy to wander will be very low. I have put very lopsided edges on blades and even looking for it would be hard pressed to say with distinction that the blade went to one side or the other. However if you have a lopsided primary grind then you can readily notice the blade drifting on binding materials like carboard. It will still cut lots of loose materials like paper and flesh with no drift as these materials can't bind on a blade anyway.

-Cliff

Back