How do ya fix lock-stick?

jacobconroy75

"Brain Cloud" is real.
BANNED
Platinum Member
I have had a PJ large Regular with satin blade for many years. Since it is a satin blade...I just never paid it much attention.

Somewhere along the way, I purchased a polished large Reg blade (probably on this forum) and recently found it in a box in the man cave. It turns out that the polished blade dropped into the PJ Regular, centers perfectly, has no blade play...and now I like the Regular!

But, there is a tad of lock-stick. Is there any easy way to fix it? Should I just fidget it until something "breaks in"?

I would pay CRK to fix it, but they will probably fix it and not charge me. I'd feel bad about that. It's a franken-knife.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have heard of the graphite solution...but it sounded like it was too easy and didn't try it.

After watching the video, I'll try some anti-seize tomorrow. Seems similar.

Thanks.

On my 21 I sometimes get lock stick after cleaning and lubing. I figured out that it was caused be getting a little lube on the lock interface. If I clean the lock face and tang with rubbing alcohol after it’s assembled I don’t get any more lock stick.

I’m sure there other causes and solutions, but just sharing.

Lube/graphite/anti-seize isn't the answer - you need to go the opposite direction and put some abrasive in there to lap the newly-mated parts to each other. Remember the Two-cent Trigger Job from the 90's? Put a little toothpaste in there, put on your favorite movie, and get started: click, reset, click, reset, click, reset... until the credits roll. Flush it out, add a tiny bit of your lube of choice, and you should be in business. If not, watch another movie tomorrow night. I mean sure, you could spend more money for actual lapping compound, but it doesn't taste minty-fresh! :)

Lube/graphite/anti-seize isn't the answer - you need to go the opposite direction and put some abrasive in there to lap the newly-mated parts to each other. Remember the Two-cent Trigger Job from the 90's? Put a little toothpaste in there, put on your favorite movie, and get started: click, reset, click, reset, click, reset... until the credits roll. Flush it out, add a tiny bit of your lube of choice, and you should be in business. If not, watch another movie tomorrow night. I mean sure, you could spend more money for actual lapping compound, but it doesn't taste minty-fresh! :)

Ah...this is what I was considering. Thank you! I have some buffing rouge. Think that might do the trick without overdoing it?

I appreciate the advice everyone. As I said, it's just a touch of lock stick. Not the end of the world. Still bugs me though.

On my 21 I sometimes get lock stick after cleaning and lubing. I figured out that it was caused be getting a little lube on the lock interface. If I clean the lock face and tang with rubbing alcohol after it’s assembled I don’t get any more lock stick.

I’m sure there other causes and solutions, but just sharing.
Good advice Sir. I'm guilty of putting a bit of lube on the back of the blade on purpose because I thought it would help with long term wear. I'm going to clean it up today and try again.

Good advice Sir. I'm guilty of putting a bit of lube on the back of the blade on purpose because I thought it would help with long term wear. I'm going to clean it up today and try again.
Report back and let us know

I gave it a good cleaning after sharpening it on the Wicked Edge. It might be a little better, but it still sticks a bit. I might try some rouge next.

I'm just a little bit nervous that the abrasives might mess up something.

I've scoured the house and we do not own a #2 pencil these days. Tried some lead sticks from a mechanical pencil and it helped a bit. I doubt that a sufficient amount of lead was applied before the lead stick snapped.

Time to purchase a pack of pencils.

I would pay CRK to fix it, but they will probably fix it and not charge me. I'd feel bad about that. It's a franken-knife.
Good afternoon You don't want to send a knife in just because they won't take the money or is this a joke?

My Sebenza regular has a problem with a sticky frame lock. Will the SPA help?. I wrote to the CRK and they replied that they would help. But I doubt it :oops:.
The fact is that sending a knife from Europe and back costs $ 100.

Last edited:
Back