How Do You Clean Bearings?

Hi All,

Dropped a whole bunch of dirt into my ZT 909. Now it is very gritty and needs a good cleaning.

How do you all clean your dirty knives with bearings?

Thanks in advance,
Philalethes

I would try:
(1) Running warm water.
(2) Warm soapy water.
(3) Flush with a lot of oil.
(4) Disassemble and full cleaning.

I have an advantage since I have an air compressor in the garage, but I will run it under straight hot water and work the blade back and forth to cover all areas.Blow it out real good to remove crud and water. WD40 (stands for water displacement formula 40) sprayed around bearing assm and then more air. Follow that with a few drops of Go-Juice oil and done.

Thanks, gentlemen. I never heard of running a pocketknife under water. I will try it today and then blow it out with my air compressor.

Make sure and run the blade back and forth to get in all the "nooks and crannys". (never figured what a cranny is though. but it needs to be clean!)

I've been using hot water and 100 lb. compressed air to clean knives and guns for 30 years. It works very well. It the mechanism is sticking use some lacquer thinner and compressed air first until it frees up. I use Dexron for an all purpose shop lube. A drop is all you need. If it can keep a transmission running for years then a knife or a gun is about as easy as it gets. I believe that every man "needs" a compressor. Seriously.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. Ran my ZT under warm water for a few minutes back and forth, then blew it out with 90 psi for two cycles on my compressor. It had just a little bit of grit left, but after a fairly heavy oiling with Nano Oil, it works better than before.

BTW, never skimp, like I did, on a compressor. I'll never buy one of those tiny compressors again.

Back