How do you cut

I was talking to an older guy I know and he showed me a nice Case Saddlehorn Trapper that he carry's all the time. He uses it for everything from hunting and fishing, gardening and general edc stuff. What I found interesting was that he keeps the skinner blade shaving sharp, only for game and fish. On the main blade Clip blade, he only uses the tip area for only opening up fish, or game or the initial cut. The rest of the clip blade is used for edc knife type of stuff, slicing tomatoes and opening stuff. He said that way, he basically has 3 blades in 2. I never really thought of it that way, I just cut stuff. Just curious if anyone else use the blade in sections like that?

I’ve had knives where I would sharpen the secondary blade to be much acute for certain things, and the main a more standard angle for general Edc chores.

Personally with multi blades knives I don't do anything special between sharpening each of the blades.
I use the larger main blade for most things and the smaller secondary blade/s whenever I feel the need for more control.
Now when a knife is pretty small overall I just use whichever I feel like at the time.

The only blades I've ever used in sections are modern knife blades with half serrated/half plain edge blades and I haven't used one of those in a long time.

Interesting idea, but in practice does it really change anything? Does he sharpen the tip differently?

I don't with my folders I carry. However I have come to prefer longer knives (Bark River Mountain Man 5") for cutting meat. The curved portion near the top skins while the couple of inches nearest the handle stays sharp for severing tendons.

I have a 4" scandi-ish grind up close to the handle on my 12" machete and the rest is convexed. Some of the old timers here may remember "Pict" who introduced this dual grind from his travels in South America. The 4" section is used for woodworking and the convex for chopping. This and a good pocketknife are my woods wandering duo. I'll sometimes throw in a Silky saw.--KV

When I carried a stockman, I kept the clip point scary sharp, the sheepsfoot just sharp enough to cut cardboard and such, and the spey blade was used for rough utility stuff and not so sharp.

And on occasion I did skin deer with the clip point. Only because it was the only knife I had on me.

I was talking to an older guy I know and he showed me a nice Case Saddlehorn Trapper that he carry's all the time. He uses it for everything from hunting and fishing, gardening and general edc stuff. What I found interesting was that he keeps the skinner blade shaving sharp, only for game and fish. On the main blade Clip blade, he only uses the tip area for only opening up fish, or game or the initial cut. The rest of the clip blade is used for edc knife type of stuff, slicing tomatoes and opening stuff. He said that way, he basically has 3 blades in 2. I never really thought of it that way, I just cut stuff. Just curious if anyone else use the blade in sections like that?

Like you, I just "cut stuff."

Back