How do you heat small areas of kydex, and other questions

I'm experimenting with kydex and I'm wondering how to apply heat to small areas of a sheath, without having the heat spread and deform the shape. I use a heat gun with 2 blower settings and even at low speed I can heat an area but its still tricky to limit the heat to a small spot. The heated air coming out of the unit is just too widespread for me to isolate the heat.

Do you guys use some sort of small propane torch, the kind used by chefs to glaze sugar?

Also, I'm seeing sheaths with solid rivets instead of the usual hollow ones. What are these and there can I get them?

I would guess try to direct the hot air better. Maybe a metal funnel glued to the front?

I usually just use a heat gun on low, apply to the area, remove, check, repeat until it's just right. You could also try a hair dryer, might be a little slower effect. The center of the area should heat faster than the surrounding area.

Josh has the right idea. I use thin sheet metal shaped for a particular purpose and attach it to the heat gun with a hose clamp.

As for the solid rivets. One of the Graham brothers (can't remember which) told me where to get 'em a while back but I've forgotten it now. Shoot 'em an email.

Back