How do you like the new CTS-XHP steel?

Never said AUS8 was bad, I just don't prefer it.
Wear resistance is pretty good on it, to bad the edge deforms to readily when things get tough.
I have had plenty of knives before in it and they weren't junk by any means...
But having a choice for a steel that is better suited for my uses/needs is a win for me.

Never said AUS8 was bad, I just don't prefer it.
Wear resistance is pretty good on it, to bad the edge deforms to readily when things get tough.
I have had plenty of knives before in it and they weren't junk by any means...
But having a choice for a steel that is better suited for my uses/needs is a win for me.

Hmm. I've cut down small trees (like 1" thick) with my rajah II in aus 8 and it still cut paper, and didn't roll. The only time aus 8 has deformed or rolled on me is if I hit something harder than the blade, like rock, harder metal like steel (it cuts copper wire just fine) etc. I've had s30v roll or chip on me doing this as well. What knives did you have in aus 8? All mine are CS and one is a KA-BAR, both tempered between 57-59 HRC.

I have owned a few knives in aus8 and it is an ok steel. When I have to cut up card board at work I make sure I touchup the blade when I get home. This is with multiple knives. It gets old. So I went to S30v and love the steel Now I am experiencing XHP. So far, so good. JMHO.

You were missing out. Aus 8 is a very good steel. I have 4 knives in it i have used regularly for years, and I've also used knives in s30v so I've got a reference point. It's edge retention is not as bad as people on this forum would have you believe.

[video=youtube;yQaq-Ox0fRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaq-Ox0fRQ[/video]
I agree. CS does AUS8 better than any other manufacturer. My 6 year old Voyager takes a daily use/abuse and with a little tlc aka daily stropping it is a great edc knife.

Has anyone had occasion to notice the relative corrosion resistance of this steel? I've heard good things about it in this regard & am starting to care more about this quality as of late.

I like it. Just got a Flexxx strop today, with his standard compounds. First time I ever really stropped a knife (Recon 1). All I can say is damn, this knife is crazy sharp. I did not go for a mirror finish, but the edge is fairly polished. The knife is hair popping though.

Sharpened my ultimate hunter 63.5 rockwell today to 15dps.
Easily grindable and takes a very keen edge. I could never featherstick hair before.

I'll check it for edge retention over the next weeks.

Haven't cut anything but thin paper (ATM receipts, newspaper, etc.) but the CTS-XHP is really, really sharp and is a major step up from AUS-8A
Nothing wrong with AUS-8A, but CS has really stepped it up with the new Carpenter steel to a new level.

I think this will be huge for them as the main complaint about CS was that they primarily used AUS-8A even though other knife makers used it as well.

Their AUS 8 was as good as any; XHP is great. Unbelievably sharp out of the box. Takes a strop as well as any steel I own.

Early yet, but I expect it to really boost Cold Steel in sales and reputation if they can be consistent with it and their improved QC. IMO they always had good designs. They're a player now. I'll buy more. I'm really becoming a fan where I wasn't so much before.

Congrats, CS. Good move.

Back