How do you like the thickness on the BUCK slim knifes?

What are your thoughts on the BUCK slim knifes thickness, this week I was giving a 110, and a 112 slim a good work out. To me they seem a little thin in the hand. Been carring a standard 110 for years, So this week I modded them with aluminum liners , also made them able to take apart. I like the thickness now, more like a standard size handle. I'm having problems loading pictures, will try to get my son to help. Thanks Rich

For edc light to medium tasks that only take a moment to complete I don’t mind the thinner handles but when I am doing heavy duty work using more force and for extended time then I prefer the thicker handles. Mainly because of hand fatigue. As I’m getting older I just don’t have the endurance or strength as when I was younger.

Usually I keep a standard size 110 close by in case I need it but the slims are very handy, easy to pocket carry and plenty durable. And they cover about 90 % of my needs so I do appreciate the slim version just for the general edc needs.

Lightweight?.....I like strong knives that are sure to be up to the task whatever it may be.

All this lightweight stuff is sheer folly to me.

If a 110 is too heavy.......maybe some of us need to spend a little time in the weight room doing some lifting.

Or.......Maybe we just have too much other stuff on our belt and in our overfull pockets?

Lightweight?.....I like strong knives that are sure to be up to the task whatever it may be.

All this lightweight stuff is sheer folly to me.

If a 110 is too heavy.......maybe some of us need to spend a little time in the weight room doing some lifting.

Or.......Maybe we just have too much other stuff on our belt and in our overfull pockets?
He asked about the thinness not the weight. And the slim handles are plenty strong but the thin handle does imprint the hand if you’re cutting heavy materials and Using them for extended time can fatigue the hand. I have the 110 slim pro and I’m confident of its strength. I’m sure if they weren’t Buck wouldn’t be selling them. As far as weight I carry several tools around with me on my job weighing around 12 lbs. so A 7.2 oz. 110 doesn’t bother me. But a 110 slim pro in pocket I hardly know it’s there and a sheath would be just another item to hang up on things in close quarters. Some folks have different needs it’s not about the lack of strength, skill or know how, sometimes it’s just a matter of bulk taking up space.

Yeah, I'm probably too much of a fanatic on strength.

I like a solid and heavy 110 or 112 in brass and Ebony and steel.

I'm normally just carrying that and a Swiss Army Knife, so I'm traveling light.

I really like my 112 Slims and carry them often. For most every day cutting chores the difference in size of the handle is not a issue but for some jobs the LT works better for me. Since I seldom carry in a belt shieth the last year or so the lighter weight of the Slim or LT over a brass and wood 112 makes it easier for pocket carry. Next year I will pick up a smaller fixed blade Buck like the Spur and try that if I can find a workable shieth for pocket carry.

I like carrying the 111 Classic. The predecessor to the Slims. It disappears in my back pocket. Plus, mine has a 3 dot 440C blade.
But when I move to some extended knife work, I like the wide, screwed together, aluminum frame 110 with micarta handles.
With this it has 3 features I like while sacrificing some bulk in carrying. For me I enjoy the 2 models and glad I don't have to settle
on just one. They both have their place in my rotation. DM

I purchased a 110 slim select ladt Christmas season. Just to try it out. Waay too slim for me.
So for my large hands an absolute no go.

I to did not like how slim it was, so I added some g10 liners to it , now it's about the same size as a reg. buck 110 ,also working on a 112 slim , going to use aluminum for the liners. I'm having problems posting pictures, I'm old school not to good with the pc

I, too, like the "heftiness" of my old 110, for want of a better word. Tried a lightweight black 110 at the local Buck dealer recently, and somehow it didn't feel right. But maybe it's my personal prejudice; if I never had a regular 110, I would probably be quite happy with the lightweight version :)

Yes, the Classic was conceived as a dress-up knife and was light as well.

Very pretty and light and slim.

I worry about strength in the knives that are slim and light.......nice to carry, but how strong are they? I've never seen any tests that are encouraging.

And I could be wrong......but I relate strength to heft.

The regular plain old 110 and 112 are hefty.

I remember Jeff commenting that when they did the testing of the 110, 112 lts that they were impressively strong.
I haven't heard of any failures. I'm sure they don't test as strong as a metal version but I don't think they are marketed to be either. The slims are a great way to carry a 110 or 112 sized knife in your pocket. They dissapear.

Micarta is a great material, I'm sure their are people trying a Buck for the first time due to a modernized EDC friendly knife. I'm a huge fan of all 110s.

Back