How do you rate Zero Tolerance on a scale of 1-10?

Ive sold off most of my modern foldern in place of traditionals but the one that I just cant let go of is a ZT0562. Ive had several models from their lineup and the 0562 is the perfect model for me, at least from what the offer. Admittedly, I haven't tried them all but I could ask for more from the 562. the F&F on mine was superb and I love the deep carry clip. The action, like most ZTs, is super smooth. I dont have one complaint about that knife, or really ZT for that matter. So with that said, I would give conservative 8.5!

I'm curious about your comment on the cutting geometry. I admittedly don't cut everything with mine and gravitate toward a serrated 350 for my hard work chores where I can gnaw through tough stuff.

However, just last night I used my 0909 to make lemon twists for my wife's martini. I usually use a Case Stockman that I have popping sharp, but I was curious how badly I could mutilate the poor lemon with my big chunky folder....admittedly, this was not first martini I partaken of the evening when I got the idea:eek:

I'm picky about my lemon twists. I want them translucent. Suprisingly, the 0909 took that skin down to paper thin with one draw cut. What few spots I went back to shave down came away cleanly sliced, no scraping.

I was incredibly impressed for I knife I have done nothing to short of taking it to a loaded strop from time to time.

Like I said, that's not a be all end all test for the cutting ability of a knife, but it shocked the heck out of me that it outperformed my trusty Case.

Haven't handled an 0909, so maybe it's an exception, but they use tend towards thick blade stock and short primary grinds. The edge geometry is fine, so it doesn't get in the way of things like lemon twists, but on something like triple walled cardboard they wedge more than slice. My experience with them is that they'll bite nice and deep on the initial cut, but after that they bind much more than blades with thinner stock and higher grinds. Most of my daily cutting is cardboard and, for that, I find almost every ZT falls far behind any number of other, less expensive, options.

Aside, the 0770 is an exception to this rule. It's quite a nice slicer and the 0804 and 0220 look like they might have potential as well.

They used to be a utility/tactical knife company. They were good at that. Now they gear more towards gentlemen's folders, and I honestly think they're mediocre in that class, but not in their price range if that makes sense. In any event, they don't really offer anything that appeals to me anymore. If I inject personal bias I'd give them a 5, but they're much better than that. Just not my cup of tea anymore since I prefer user knives.

If you happen to like flippers that are either frame or liner locks, perhaps. If you're like me, however, they really don't offer anything of interest due to the fact they only offer flippers with either frame or liner locks.

I have no reason to doubt the build quality, but I'd like to actually see some variety in their designs. How about a different lock? If they're all gonna be flippers, why not try a front flipper like you see on a Burger EXK1? How about go out on a limb and design something in-house?

You mean like the ZT0095? It would be a huge difference to have a frame lock with Ti and a front-flipper? What is the advantage of that? The loss of the integral guard?

Did you happen to see the ZT0999? That was an in-house design. What about the ZT0606CF, should be coming out soon. You don't like RJ Martin stuff? Pivotless pivot?

Who else is even close in the variety that ZT puts out?

best

mqqn

I've only owned one ZT. It was a 0562cf with the CTS-204 blade. I'd rate it an 8. I knock it off two points for the weight being slightly heavy for the size, and the detent being all whack.

You mean like the ZT0095? It would be a huge difference to have a frame lock with Ti and a front-flipper? What is the advantage of that? The loss of the integral guard?

Did you happen to see the ZT0999? That was an in-house design. What about the ZT0606CF, should be coming out soon. You don't like RJ Martin stuff? Pivotless pivot?

Who else is even close in the variety that ZT puts out?

best

mqqn

ZT makes excellent knives, but I have a hard time thinking of variety as their strong point. Honestly, if we're just talking ZT, I think almost every production company but maybe CRK puts out a broader variety of products.

I don't think it's a huge knock on them, they've stayed very focused, but in the current lineup there are two locking mechanisms, three opening methods, no autos, no large fixed blades, no EDC fixed blades, nothing much for a hunter, nothing Chicago legal, nothing with any kind of traditional aesthetic, etc.

They do their thing very, very well, but they stick to it very, very tightly.

Conservatively, about an 8 overall (I don't know that I would ever rate anything a 10). You may or may not like the individual style of the knife, but fit & finish is top notch throughout the entire range.

I only own one ZT knife, the 0350TSST. I like the knife, but the flat g10 scales from ZT feel like they are thin & there is too much space between the frame & the scales making the handle feel hollow instead of solid. I have a friend that only buys the ones with 3d machined scales & those feel nice & solid. I would rate my 0350TSST a 7. I plan on getting another one someday, but first impressions count & I rarely carry my ZT.

ZT makes excellent knives, but I have a hard time thinking of variety as their strong point. Honestly, if we're just talking ZT, I think almost every production company but maybe CRK puts out a broader variety of products.

I don't think it's a huge knock on them, they've stayed very focused, but in the current lineup there are two locking mechanisms, three opening methods, no autos, no large fixed blades, no EDC fixed blades, nothing much for a hunter, nothing Chicago legal, nothing with any kind of traditional aesthetic, etc.

They do their thing very, very well, but they stick to it very, very tightly.

I did not consider CRKT, or Gerber or Boker for that matter, all put out a nice variety. I suppose if you go there, you have to consider that ZT is part of Kai, which also makes Kershaw and Shun.

But, good point.

best

mqqn

I've got a ZT 0770CF, and a 0450. A would give the company a 9. I'm thinking a 0562CF is next. Just wish the names were better.

ZT is a solid 10 on my scale. I like the variety of designs, both from their in-house designers and the ever-growing stable of design collaborations. They cover a broad spectrum, from slim, pocket-friendly pieces to large, beefy blades to stubby models to larger, sleek knives. Plus, they do some of their limited edition pieces that look like they really push the limits of production designs/capabilities. On the more practical side, they are very competitively priced for what they offer: excellent quality and performance, fantastic customer service and warranty, and original (or legally licensed) designs.

link? Kinda interested in a 0452 but like companies I can feel good about.

It would take forever to track it down, but I found the actions of the representative/moderator in the General Forum insulting. Demands that, while perfectly justified in their subforum, I felt were entirely inappropriate outside it.

Whether on not that is the kinda thing makes you feel not good about the company and their knives, I don't know. Your call. In addition to knife design, I also take into account knife people when purchasing. YMMV.

If you are looking to buy them for what they are-fun to play with Art Knives, that are made out of high end materials, I'll give them a full 10.

If you buy into the marketing of the with the whole "Proudly Overbuilt" slogan, I'll give them a 2 to 3.

Without an opening thumb stud option on their flippers, I have no interest in them. My 551 is my favorite ZT, but it has persistent lock rock, even after a return to the company for correction. Great customer service,by the way. Can t see buying a flipper only knife, especially one that heavy.

The 0700 is a flipper that can open with a thumb stud :)

I would rate them an 8.5 or 9. I've been fortunate enough to own 5 of them. All have worked for each EDC task that I've used them for.

I've been carrying a ZT 0200 everyday since 2007. Its the only one I have. That knife is solid in every way. Its an easy 9.5, and I wouldn't trade it for any other folder out there.

I own 4 ZT Knives, mostly from their older line and I would give them a 8.5 out of 10. I really like the newer line of smaller, thinner knives which are less bulky. I have my eye on a couple of them. Their customer service is excellent. Their company keeps making a variety of knives and it sounds like they listen to what their customers want. I would like to see them make some automatic knives and OTF knives in the future.

Good thread OP, I've enjoyed reading it. I've never owned a ZT but have handled a few and am usually impressed with their materials and build quality. I don't care much for bearings and flippers and wish they would make more knives without these features. The 630 is my favorite design and nearly pulled the trigger on it a couple of times but in the end went another direction. Wish the blade would have been longer and I didn't like the wave feature. The 452 is a damn good looking blade but again the bearing/flipper issue and didn't care for the frame lock on the handle design.
They are an interesting company and I will continue to watch and see what they come up with next.

I only own one ZT currently, but I have owned darn near every model they have put out at least once. It all comes down to expectations. If want a liner/framelock flipper with premium materials, excellent fit and finish, gorgeous designs, and it is built like a tank then you won't be disappointed.

I don't prefer flippers, framelocks, and generally like lighter folders. I still have a 0562 which I love because it is a perfect flipper, and i love the looks, but I literally never carry it, and I will likely sell it in the near future.

That said, I would give ZT a 9.5 because they deliver what they advertise at a good price point and with excellent warranty service. I am sure I will buy more ZTs in the future, whenever I get the flipper itch again.

issue I have with zt is the fremelocks cant be pushed on or the knife is very difficult to deploy. I find it you needed to take the knife out in a hurry its not great for consistency. But aside from that rather large flaw they are well built knives with high end parts. I sold all my zts and just have the 452cf left. I might grab a 0770 someday. Not sure it could replace something in the similar size like a 940 though. So depending on the model I rather the brand a 7

Back