How do you sharpen your CPK’s?

I've read all sorts of ideas about sharpening over the years, and the one thing I've taken away from it all is that people over complicate it to the point of being ridiculous. Talk is cheap, you just gotta do it a lot to be good at it, like anything, and if you get good at it, you'll be able to put an edge back on your knife with almost anything that's abrasive and hard enough to scratch the steel.

I can appreciate a polished edge- it looks cool- but that level of finish provides next to no real world benefit. I guess it looks sharper, but there's nothing intrinsic about a polished edge that makes it cut better.

anyway, this is how I do it. The amount of pressure you exert against your sharpening media is fundamentally important. It's always good to keep in mind that the sharper and edge is, the less material you have at the edge of your edge. Push laterally too hard, and you'll never have a good edge. Sharpening a knife is about patience and sensitivity.

I've got the same setup, except I pulled the coarse crystolon stone off the Norton and replaced it with a hard Arkansas stone so that my progression would go: medium crystolon -- India stone -- Hard Arkansas, all on the IM313. Something I still want to do is buy another strop bat and load it up myself with the diamond paste that Nathan uses to finish, or something very similar. That would make a dang nice freehand setup.

I've got the same setup, except I pulled the coarse crystolon stone off the Norton and replaced it with a hard Arkansas stone so that my progression would go: medium crystolon -- India stone -- Hard Arkansas, all on the IM313. Something I still want to do is buy another strop bat and load it up myself with the diamond paste that Nathan uses to finish, or something very similar. That would make a dang nice freehand setup.
I use Autosol on my strop, when I use it which is not too often. Mainly for my round knife

I use Autosol on my strop, when I use it which is not too often. Mainly for my round knife

I'll check it out, thank you. I've learned over the years that when a knife goes back to a customer, it's best if two things occur: it looks good, and it pops arm hair, so that has me using a strop frequently. On my own blades I generally stop after the Arkansas stone as I've found that's the stage that performs well for me.

QKr6Ect.jpg

Back