how do you use your knife

Time to help the knife maker make a better knife again. What is the most common way you use your fixed blade knife? I know the response is it depends on the knife, but let say day to day what do usually do with your knife. If you have photos that is a bonus and to compensate y'all for your time at the end of the month I will randomly pick a name form this thread and give them something. I don't know what it will be yet so pleas don't ask but it will be something good.

Thanks guys

Dan

cut string, cord, whittle a stake, clear vegetation wrapped around the shaft on the brush hog, cut up meat (after washingthe knife), open packages, cut the wide plastic strapping off crates, scribe lines on a board prior to cutting it on the table saw, fine tuning a hinge mortise, etc...

Yup, like the first poster said, I could literally do all these things in one day with my knife. It just so happens to be a nice trail hiker. Sure with I had another one in stainless with full flat grind and green scales......just saying. Anyway cut weed trimmer string, open pine shaving bundles for chickens, open boxes, chop an onion, split up a piece of fat wood. When camping or hunting, it gets less diverse tasks but it has to be able to do them all pretty well, and it does. I do tend to carry a dedicated game processing knife when hunting, but that's because I pretty much insist on having a razor sharp, low maintenance knife at the ready when I need to field dress game.

common household tasks:

open boxes
cut down boxes
kitchen prep

while camping:

cut down branches
strike the fire steal
make feather sticks
make wood chips
dig holes
food prep
pry-bar substitute

that's off the top of my head. I've used a knife to do a lot more.

Home: cooking, home repairs, yard work, cutting down and opening boxes, cutting string tape, etc., craft and hobby projects.
Camping trips: fire building, food prep and cooking, cutting string or duct tape, clearing branches, building shelter/tarp setup, making a walking stick/fishing pole, fixing things if needed.

Thats all I can think of at the moment!

I am seeing a trend that for everyday/ home use about a 3" blade would be best would y'all agree with that?

for field use something along the 4-5" blade ?

2.5-3" drop point blade with 4-4.5" of handle is perfect for 90% of what I use a knife for an a daily basis.
4-5.5" blade with 4.5-5" handle works well for a field knife - for me. (but i have big/wide hands)

Actually, I might have been a little misleading. How I'm using the knife isn't exactly atypical. The process the knife is involved in is definitely atypical. Here are the first two pics. This cork will see a new life. So far, it's been cut down to size by my Dogwood Kephart. It sliced well! More pics to come...

precutcork.jpg

cutcork.jpg

I use mine to open boxes, mail, Copenhagen cans, cut cord, cut water transfer film, cut hose...basically all cutting needs. I love edc size fixed blades, all styles too from drop to spear to warni to nesmuk. 3" blade is perfect for front pocket carry.

I use my knives for kitchen duty.
I like serrated blades for cutting buns i use for hamburgers on the grill.

I use them to open the mail and to cut the tear cord in Cat5-6 cables when I'm making my connections

Back