How Does it Carry?

The Native Chief carriers bigger. It's bottomed out in my pocket. The Spidiechef carries smaller. Because it's very thin and light.

I like my Chaps with the clip removed, it's like they are not even in the pocket.

Native 5 is pretty compact. No thumb ramp so it’s not too wide. Pac Salt is pretty light for a good size blade.

GB1, GB2, and GB Advocate don't seem to take up a lot of pocket space IMO. Manix 2 also isn't bad, despite being a little wide. I've grown used to it.

I feel most carry, like you would think.
I've found that I feel, the Manix 2 carries a lot smaller then it's foot print.
I honestly think it's easier to get my hand in and out of my pocket, then when carrying a PM2. (Probably just the shape of the butt, of the knife)
The Shaman isn't as noticeable, either. The size and weight isn't noticed.

Native carries small, with plenty of heft

Kapara carries real small, compared to cutting edge..
Something like an inch or 1½", shorter then the Military but only a 1/4" less cutting edge

Ymmv…

Smaller: GB2, Native 5, Pattadese, Cali3.5
Larger: PM2, PM3, Manix2

Para 3 & manix 2 fit right in, almost forget I have them.

Kapara with rounded scales and light weight disappears on me.
Of course the delica also carries really light, again I have to check & make sure it's there.

Want to mention the salt series.

They come in many different shapes and sizes but most of them are extremely light due to the non liner design.

My very light and thin K2 Folder carries better than a lot of "smaller" Spydies (and other knives) do

K2 carries great smooth & slim, unbelievable for its size.

Nirvana is a great carry, a touch thicker than the K2 or Endura but not tall and being smooth helps the pocket feel.

Endura another great slim carry.

I swear my PM2 feels larger in the pocket than the Endura.

PM 3 and Dragonfly are getting smaller and feel accordingly so. Both are a great choice if a lady is looking for a knife to carry.

Southard and Autonomy 2 are a bit thick with the nod going to the Southard between the two.

Yojimbo 2 takes up a lot of pocket space, but worth it because I love it so much.

Most spydercos I’ve had carry poorly due to a wide handle (often coupled with a short cutting edge due to choil). Two notable exceptions are the Kapara and Gayle Bradley.

My Police 4 with frn handles seems to carry much slimmer and smaller than I originally anticipated. I rarely even notice I have it until I need it. The only downside is that it can bottom out in shallow pockets, but so far it hasn't been a big issue (btw, I usually wear jeans with average size pockets).

Which Spyderco knives carry "bigger" or "smaller" than you expected (and why do you think that is the case)?

SMALLER THAN EXPECTED:

The most important feature that is applicable to all knive is the clip. It keeps the knife high, and off the bottom your pocket, regardless of the overall length of the knife. I don't carry a bunch of junk in my pockets. Any knife would be cumbersome if I was lugging around keys, screwdrivers, lighters, flashlights, condoms, and one-hit pipes.

Manix 2 LW: First of all, it's light. It's not very thick. For me, it carries just fine when I'm wearing shorts.

Police 4: I mention this one because it's freakishly large. But it's thin and not absurdly heavy. It carries fine in the pocket of my jeans. I'm not sure that I'll like it when spring comes around and I start wearing shorts again. But it might work.

LARGER THAN EXPECTED:

I can't really say that I have any Spyderco's that could be labeled unweildy.

Manix 2 XL: The fit in my hand is exceptional. The lock is exceptional. But the knife is a little heavier than most, so it doesn't work when I'm wearing light shorts or pants.

ADAMAS: Yeah, this isn't a Spyderco, but I have to mention it. The lock is spectacular. It's A+. The knife LOOKS cool, but it's fat. It's is heavy. If an evil warlock was angered by Rosie O'Donnell and turned her into a knife, it would be the Adamas. Mine has seen a lot of miles and use, so it has sentimental value, but there's NO WAY I'd ever carry it again.

Last edited:
Para 3 LW just disappears in my pocket. It's my normal summertime knife.

Back